PDA

View Full Version : M24/47 from JG?

watt79
12-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Since getting my C&R, I have been thinking about picking up a Mauser to compliment my 91/30. So far, I have been leaning towards an M24/47. I noticed that there were a few different vendors that carried them, and wasn't sure which one to choose. SOG is out of stock, and when I emailed them they indicated that they didn't know when another batch would be arriving. Widners and Classic both have them in stock, but they are quite a bit more expensive than JG or Samco. I would order from Samco, but they never responded to my email when I asked them how they would prefer I send my C&R. Because of this, I was thinking about just placing my order with JG and picking that hand select option. Does anyone here have any experience on what kind of condition to expect? Is the hand select even worth it? With shipping from JG the total would come up to about $246 (without hand select).

Dingoguns
12-25-2012, 11:56 PM
J & G has been good to go in my experience. They have a reputation for being rather cutthroat, but I've never had a bad experience with them, either with my personal orders or transfer I have conducted for customers. The hand select in my experience has definately been worth it.

SOG... well, I like their stuff, and I like their hand selects too. However, the last 2 times I ordered from them, the account I used was subjected to identity theft. Never happened before or since, and the only common thread was it happened within 2 days of ordering from them, BOTH times. I called them as a courtesy to tell them their site may have security issues, and they effectively blew me off (just kind of seemed to be patronizing me).

Just my .02... it's worth what you paid for it.

NOTABIKER
12-26-2012, 5:58 AM
a serb M 48 is newer and can be had in almost new condition. both are real mausers. i just sold a very nice M-48 with ammo and toys for 300 to a calguner last week.

CDFingers
12-26-2012, 6:11 AM
Though more expensive than Mosins, Mausers as well infect the buyer with a similar disease.

The m48's are toasty new and smooth, so you get one. But the lure of the scuffed battle rifle is strong. Conversely, you may be drawn to the scuffed battle rifle, wondering where it'd been between 1924 and 1947, loving the rough surface, hearing its history late at night. So you buy that. But the lure of the smooth and new Mauser is strong...

And so it begins: another man done gone...

CDFingers

watt79
12-26-2012, 1:36 PM
The only place that seems to have M48s in stock is Widners. Is an M48 really worth the extra $50 over an M24/47? I was under the impression that most M24/47s were in pretty good condition from being refurbished and then stored away.

paul0660
12-26-2012, 1:42 PM
Is an M48 really worth the extra $50 over an M24/47?

Probably not. Many 24/47's are in unissued after refurb condition. Many M48's were issued.

Hand select is the subjective best choice of the next 5 or 10 rifles out of the case. I think it is worth ten bucks.

paul0660
12-26-2012, 2:12 PM
Even if the bore is excellent you need to make sure headspace is good.

Matching numbers does not necessarily mean the headspace is good.

If these are Century imports, they have been field headspaced.

watt79
01-08-2013, 4:53 PM
Well, I ended up ordering from JG and the rifle arrived yesterday. Its marked as being imported by Samco. Stripped it all down and got all of the cosmoline off of the metal parts and a lot of it out of the stock. The bore looks brand new. The only issue is that the safety does not like moving from the 9:00 to the 12:00 position unless I pull a little on the cocking piece. From what I understand, this indicates either a worn trigger sear or a worn cocking piece. Neither of them really show a lot of wear to me. Any suggestions on diagnosing which one it is? Is the rifle still safe to use in its current condition?

DennisCA
01-08-2013, 6:34 PM
I have a Yugo 24/47 and the safety doesn't work either - to me it isn't a big deal.
I just use it for range use, so I never bothered to fix it.

watt79
01-08-2013, 9:19 PM
Thanks, thats what I thought. Just wanted to err on the side of caution. Unboxing pics for those that are interested (better ones once I find my real camera):

BruinGuy
01-09-2013, 1:23 AM
Well that's a lot nicer than the ones they had when I was there in August. Looks like you did well! How is the metal, especially under the wood?

watt79
01-09-2013, 10:43 AM
It is in pretty good shape. The crest is nice and sharp. There were a few small areas along the wood line with some surface pitting, but nothing that would be any cause for concern.