PDA

View Full Version : San Jose/Bay Area fishing

Blue
08-16-2007, 7:32 PM
anybody hit up any of the local reservoirs lately? My buddy wants to take the little boat out and do some fishing. Mostly for trout....We're thinking Lexington but it looks alittle dry from the freeway...

Blue
09-03-2007, 2:35 PM
Bump! We want to hit up Del Valle....anybody recommend anywhere else?

Gringo Bandito
09-03-2007, 4:58 PM
Bump! We want to hit up Del Valle....anybody recommend anywhere else?

What are you fishing for? Trout, bass, striper or catfish?

Blue
09-03-2007, 6:34 PM
What are you fishing for? Trout, bass, striper or catfish?

Mostly anything I guess. We mostly try and fish for trout but end up catching bass/crappie :o I like trolling around with my kid because there's less tangles and not as much complaining about being bored.

Gringo Bandito
09-03-2007, 8:31 PM
This is one of the reports that I have seen from www.fishsniffer.com.

Fished D/V today form 2:30pm till 7:30pm trout Fishing is tuff but they are still there. Caught one at 20 ft on a J9 and 2 drifting nightcrawlers and white power bait in front of the dam. I also had two hits on a needle fish at 35 ft but they didn't stick just popped the clip and they were gone. Marked lots of fish at the inlet tube and on the west corner of the dam at 30 to 40 ft.

If you decide to go bank fishing, some of the best spots are right next to the launch ramp. Just dunking power bait on the right side of the ramp with catch you fish.

BTW - If you end up taking your boat out, bring some topwater gear with 20lb line. Stripers will school in that lake and the action can be insane.

Blue
09-03-2007, 8:44 PM
BTW - If you end up taking your boat out, bring some topwater gear with 20lb line. Stripers will school in that lake and the action can be insane.

Did this come from the web page or did you type it? I tried registering on fishsniffer and they sent me a confirmation email but I can't get it to finalize. I'd love to go for striper, I've never fished for or caught one. What kind of gear do you use for them?

Gringo Bandito
09-03-2007, 9:08 PM
I typed it. I used to spend a lot of time on that lake and have had some monster striper bites. I think that some guy caught one that weighed in at 29lbs.

If they are schooling, you can use almost anything that is considered a topwater bait. Something like a popr or a buzzbait can work. I always had my bass gear with me which was usually 14lb+ line and a bait cast reel and a 6-6ft rod.

As you launch your boat, head to the right(toward the dam) and on the left hand side you will see a cove. It is probably a 5 minute boat ride to the cove from the launch ramp. 200 yards from that cove in any direction can be good if they are schooling. That area happens to be called the narrows btw.

Blue
09-03-2007, 9:50 PM
I typed it. I used to spend a lot of time on that lake and have had some monster striper bites. I think that some guy caught one that weighed in at 29lbs.

If they are schooling, you can use almost anything that is considered a topwater bait. Something like a popr or a buzzbait can work. I always had my bass gear with me which was usually 14lb+ line and a bait cast reel and a 6-6ft rod.

As you launch your boat, head to the right(toward the dam) and on the left hand side you will see a cove. It is probably a 5 minute boat ride to the cove from the launch ramp. 200 yards from that cove in any direction can be good if they are schooling. That area happens to be called the narrows btw.

Kick ***. Gotta take the boy out and do some shoppin :D Thanks!

Baron
09-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure what kind or size of boat you got, but if you want good stripper fishing head out to the Delta. Frank's Track on Bethel island is a good spot
Or even try outside Vierra's Resort or Rio Vista.

Or try for a Sturgeon... if your boat isn't that big, launch out of Vierra's and anchor next to the Rio Vista Bridge. That's where I caught my first keeper Sturgeon
Once you fight a Sturgeon you won't look back...LOL

Heck my Buddy and I launched his Dads 13' alluminum boat out of Pittsburg and drove all the way across the shipping channel to chain island.

The Delta isn't as bad as everyone says. Plus it's got all kinds of fish. Sturgeon, Strippers, Bass, Halibut, Catfish, Crab, Salmon (during the run),
Bullheads
Just be sure to cheack the fish you catch and be sure o get the Bay/Delta Enhancement Stamp

I wouldn't head out to any of the big water like San Pablo Bay or by the Mothball fleet without a sizable boat like 22' and over.

aplinker
09-07-2007, 3:20 PM
Object lesson for today:

Stripper
http://static.flickr.com/63/192746302_283bf8737f_o.jpg
Striper
http://www.dec.ny.gov/images/fish_marine_images/stripedbass.gif

Blue
09-08-2007, 5:11 PM
We hit up Del Valle on Friday but didn't catch anything. Still had a good time. We saw about 5 stripers jump out of the water. What's your technique for catching those bastards?

Gringo Bandito
09-08-2007, 5:22 PM
You can do a couple of things. You can throw a chrome rattle trap at them, a pop r, spinner baits or spoons. You can even troll a big trout looking bait through them. I have had a striper knock one of the trout baits about 4 feet out of the water.:D

If you do see them schooling, you will want to throw the bait past the area and pull the bait through the school. You can do this with either a top water bait(zara spook for example) or a 1/2 ounce rattle trap.

Careful brother. Striper fishing can be worse than catching the BRD!

Blue
09-08-2007, 6:02 PM
Careful brother. Striper fishing can be worse than catching the BRD!

Tell me about it man. I'm trying to deck out my tiny fishing boat and it seems like nomatter what I do it isn't good enough!

aplinker
09-08-2007, 9:07 PM
Being far from the Delta is tough... I'm not a big ocean fishing guy... and Los Angeles is not exactly a great fishing area.

I miss the Lower Sac... I miss the Yuba... I miss the Stanislaus... I miss Putah Creek... I miss trout... I miss stripers... I miss shad... I MISS steelhead...

I only get to make a few trips a year now.

Baron
09-19-2007, 8:16 PM
Stripers ... Strippers....
I like em the same and by the end of the night they usually smell the same...LOL... Sorry I couldn't resist

But seriously... I love trout fishing too. Specialy with a fly pole
I'll tell you what though... once you land one of these guys...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/GORZACK/Fishing/Fishing1-27-07014.jpg

It's hard to go for anything smaller