View Full Version : Newspaper releases gun owner addresses

12-25-2012, 2:32 PM

Basically, a NY newspaper released all the addresses of gun permit holders on their website.

I think this is in violation of the constitution because it was the government that allowed this information to be collected and released. While a civilian entity released this information the collection of such information was done by the government.

What I hope comes of this is a push from the NRA to forbid the collection of various forms of citizen information by the government, because I am furious the “freedom of information act” was used as a work around to collect and disclose information about citizens.

12-25-2012, 2:44 PM
:dupe: :dupe: :dupe: Check in OT

12-25-2012, 2:45 PM
The FOIA wasn't used. That information is public. Anybody can go see it. The problem is, the newspaper compiled them all into a map/list, and used the influence of the press to expose it. The same thing was done in Sacramento not too long ago.

12-25-2012, 6:29 PM
CELEBRITIES - internet, television, movie actors, newsreaders, musicians - while influential in forming public opinion, cannot introduce bills or write regulations, make arrests or decide court cases. Stories about celebrity pronouncements or behavior go to OT. If we act as if they are important, they will continue to believe that they are.

NEWSPAPERS and NEWS ORGANIZATIONS are 'corporate celebrities'.