PDA

View Full Version : Too many have no clue about what makes the NRA click

Excelsior
12-25-2012, 11:27 AM
The more NRA bashing I read on these forums, the clearer it becomes to me that many have absolutely no clue about what really makes the NRA tick. They have no clue how the NRA exerts political pressure, what the NRA is good at and what it's not good at.

There is an excellent article at The Atlantic (please, no whining) Why America Can't Pass Gun Control (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/12/why-america-cant-pass-gun-control/266417/) that gets into the nuts and bolts:

"...And it's not because Democrats and Obama are afraid of the NRA's deep pockets, as so many pundits are wrongly concluding. Quite the contrary, the NRA has money because it is powerful, not the other way around. And the NRA is powerful because it is clever at working the clunky architecture of our political system, which gives immense clout to a tiny slice of swing voters in a handful of congressional districts..."

It anyone knows of other articles on the nuts and bolts operation of the NRA I would like to hear about them. Thanks.

CenterX
12-25-2012, 11:36 AM
NRA is A+ in my book.
NRA trains more people than any other organization.
NRA supports gun owners more than any other organization.
NRA provides information on the antis and this aids in the battle to keep the 2nd Amendment.
NRA used to be in almost every school in the USA teaching safety when handling guns. The antis have stopped this and now the unsafe handling causes trouble and the antis are using existential ideas to promote their failure to let the youth be trained in safe firearm handling.
NRA needs your support or you can loose your rights.
Just that simple.

OleCuss
12-25-2012, 11:40 AM
CGF, SAF, etc. are important to our freedom.

Whether or not we think the NRA is run well, the NRA is essential.

Nate74
12-25-2012, 11:42 AM
I've been a life member for a couple of years and after seeing the press conference and then the appearances on the Sunday shows, I donated what I could. Even if you disagree with this or that, they truly are our best hope.

scrubb
12-25-2012, 12:00 PM
The more NRA bashing I read on these forums, the clearer it becomes to me that many have absolutely no clue about what really makes the NRA tick. They have no clue how the NRA exerts political pressure, what the NRA is good at and what it's not good at.

There is an excellent article at The Atlantic (please, no whining) Why America Can't Pass Gun Control (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/12/why-america-cant-pass-gun-control/266417/) that gets into the nuts and bolts:

"...And it's not because Democrats and Obama are afraid of the NRA's deep pockets, as so many pundits are wrongly concluding. Quite the contrary, the NRA has money because it is powerful, not the other way around. And the NRA is powerful because it is clever at working the clunky architecture of our political system, which gives immense clout to a tiny slice of swing voters in a handful of congressional districts..."

It anyone knows of other articles on the nuts and bolts operation of the NRA I would like to hear about them. Thanks.

AMEN brotha! Glad to hear people stand up for the NRA.

a1c
12-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Yup, saw that article too, very good exposť on the situation.

Excelsior
12-25-2012, 1:21 PM
NRA is A+ in my book.
NRA trains more people than any other organization.
NRA supports gun owners more than any other organization.
NRA provides information on the antis and this aids in the battle to keep the 2nd Amendment.
NRA used to be in almost every school in the USA teaching safety when handling guns. The antis have stopped this and now the unsafe handling causes trouble and the antis are using existential ideas to promote their failure to let the youth be trained in safe firearm handling.
NRA needs your support or you can loose your rights.
Just that simple.

All that you mention are important services but they miss the (current) heart and soul (and supreme value) of the NRA. Intelligent, blood-n-guts political lobbying in WDC.

The article I referenced does a decent job of explaining how the NRA wields power in Washington.

m.rod19
12-25-2012, 1:52 PM
Anyone follow the NRA on twitter and see how people bash on them???

Carnivore
12-25-2012, 2:36 PM
I used to be a basher after the 94 ban. I felt let down but realize what they did and why a little better. Now I am a life member and still donate as much as I can. If we don't back them then who will we back.

otteray
12-25-2012, 2:44 PM
Here is what a MSNBC loving relative of mine says about the NRA:
The NRA must be getting boatloads of money from the assault gun makers, the cop-killer bullet makers and obviously from the Mexican Drug Lords. There is no one in the NRA who even knows how much money the president of the NRA makes. Scary!

In a nutshell!