PDA

View Full Version : question regarding Microstamping Bill

tomdavis
08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
I've heard two explanations for how the Microstamping Bill will work if it's passed (Hopefully Arnold will veto it if does).

One explanation I've heard is that after the enforcement date, EVERY new semi-auto handgun sold in the state will be required to have the Microstamping techonology. In other words, that's the end of semi-auto handgun sales in California since it's unlikely that any manufacturers will support the technology.

The other explanation that I've heard is that Microstamping will be required to get onto the CADOJ approved list, but guns already on the approved list will be allowed to be sold without Microstamping as long as they maintain their paperwork and pay the extortion fees. In other words, Microstamping will be necessary to get a new semi-auto handgun or handgun model onto the CADOJ approved list, but those already on the list won't be affected.

Anybody know for certain which interpretation is correct?

chiefcrash
08-16-2007, 12:55 PM
IIRC, the microstamping requirement is only to get on the "safe" handgun roster. If it's already on the list (and the manufacturer keeps paying the fee), it's good to go.

gose
08-16-2007, 12:57 PM
IIRC, the microstamping requirement is only to get on the "safe" handgun roster. If it's already on the list (and the manufacturer keeps paying the fee), it's good to go.

Yupp.

RRangel
08-16-2007, 4:36 PM
I've heard two explanations for how the Microstamping Bill will work if it's passed (Hopefully Arnold will veto it if does).

One explanation I've heard is that after the enforcement date, EVERY new semi-auto handgun sold in the state will be required to have the Microstamping techonology. In other words, that's the end of semi-auto handgun sales in California since it's unlikely that any manufacturers will support the technology.

The other explanation that I've heard is that Microstamping will be required to get onto the CADOJ approved list, but guns already on the approved list will be allowed to be sold without Microstamping as long as they maintain their paperwork and pay the extortion fees. In other words, Microstamping will be necessary to get a new semi-auto handgun or handgun model onto the CADOJ approved list, but those already on the list won't be affected.

Anybody know for certain which interpretation is correct?

It will be a requirement added to the so called "safety roster". One thing people really need to keep in mind though.

Everyone should consider this an attempt to end all handgun sales in California because regardless of what it is if we don't fight these laws that's what we'll get. This could go a long way to removing more guns from the hands of the law abiding should it become law.

Remember that Democrats that had the original "safety roster" created were unhappy that so many guns passed their beloved testing and are available for sale. They'll stop at nothing to remove guns from the hands of the law abiding.

Calguns2000
08-16-2007, 5:01 PM
The fact that only new models of pistols need the microstamping technology seems to undermine the "crime solving" rationale for the legislation, since it will be untold decades until all currently approved semi-autos fall off of the approved list (which will only happen as a result of inattention/mistake of a manufacturer or obsolescence of the relevant model).

It seems the more likely near-term effect will be to further reduce (perhaps to zero) the number of new models of semi-automatic handguns that are approved for sale in CA, which will further depress the firearms trade in CA. Perhaps "step two", after this microstamping legislation is passed and is found to have had no crime reducing effect, will be to require ALL semi-autos sold in CA to have the microstamping technology.

fairfaxjim
08-16-2007, 5:17 PM
The fact that only new models of pistols need the microstamping technology seems to undermine the "crime solving" rationale for the legislation, since it will be untold decades until all currently approved semi-autos fall off of the approved list (which will only happen as a result of inattention/mistake of a manufacturer or obsolescence of the relevant model).

It seems the more likely near-term effect will be to further reduce (perhaps to zero) the number of new models of semi-automatic handguns that are approved for sale in CA, which will further depress the firearms trade in CA. Perhaps "step two", after this microstamping legislation is passed and is found to have had no crime reducing effect, will be to require ALL semi-autos sold in CA to have the microstamping technology.

BINGO! It has NOTHING whatsoever to do with reducing crime - guns don't cause crime, criminals cause crime. Microstamping doesn't imprint the criminal!! It has everything to do with making LEGAL gun ownership more difficult - period, end of discussion.

Joe Register
08-16-2007, 9:10 PM
Do the police also need to get their new guns stamped?

Fate
08-16-2007, 9:15 PM
Do the police also need to get their new guns stamped?

Well since they can buy pistols not on the "approved" list...

I think you know the answer.

tomdavis
08-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks! I knew you guys would have the answers.

ljg17
08-17-2007, 12:31 PM

PLUS 50 Excellent+++ nail, hit, HAMMER