PDA

View Full Version : 4 HG's in 30 days and gifts

taperxz
12-24-2012, 11:08 AM
If i wanted to buy 4 handguns and gift them to my wife and 3 kids would there be a prohibition of purchase on the "new handguns" if i checked on the DROS that they were in fact gifts to family members?

No circumventing of law implied!

Tis the season and i want my family to have their own handguns. (all family members are adults)

Munk
12-24-2012, 11:12 AM
3 PPT transactions and 1 normal purchase, or 4 PPT. You don't run afoul of the 1-in-30.

Be honest on the DROS, You are the purchaser, gifting is legal under most circumstances - I'm not sure how it would work to get them properly registered though, you may need to transfer the guns again to the kids.

taperxz
12-24-2012, 11:20 AM
3 PPT transactions and 1 normal purchase, or 4 PPT. You don't run afoul of the 1-in-30.

Be honest on the DROS, You are the purchaser, gifting is legal under most circumstances - I'm not sure how it would work to get them properly registered though, you may need to transfer the guns again to the kids.

There is a question on the DROS form if you are buying them for someone else.

This is pretty much a yes or no answer. As stated above, "new handguns"

Python2
12-24-2012, 11:28 AM
There is a question on the DROS form if you are buying them for someone else.

This is pretty much a yes or no answer. As stated above, "new handguns"

Why not just pay all four gun and tell the store your wife and three son will come and fill up the DROS form. Easier paper work. I did that to my son for his B-day present.

taperxz
12-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Why not just pay all four gun and tell the store your wife and three son will come and fill up the DROS form. Easier paper work. I did that to my son for his B-day present.

I could do that but also wanted to know that since you fill that form under penalty and perjury if the 30 day rule applies since the firearms are in fact not for me. My kids are all adults too and their availability does not always coincide with mine.

bigcalidave
12-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Got them all NRA memberships too?

bigcalidave
12-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Taper you can buy guns as gifts. Nothing wrong with that.

Librarian
12-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Gifts are fine - but CA will not permit more than 1 handgun purchase in 30, unless you go the PPT route as Munk suggested.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-24-2012, 11:58 AM
If you are buying the guns to give away as gifts then you are legally buying them for yourself. If you say "yes" to the question that you are buying the guns for somebody else then the FFL is required to cancel the sale.

taperxz
12-24-2012, 12:01 PM
If you are buying the guns to give away as gifts then you are legally buying them for yourself. If you say "yes" to the question that you are buying the guns for somebody else then the FFL is required to cancel the sale.

This is not true^^

taperxz
12-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Gifts are fine - but CA will not permit more than 1 handgun purchase in 30, unless you go the PPT route as Munk suggested.

Thats what i thought but found it interesting that you could declare on the DROS form that it "was not for you" under penalty and perjury.

Thus, whats the point of the question or the law?

Mssr. Eleganté
12-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Yes it is. ATF even put it on the instructions for the Form 4473. If you are buying guns as bona fide gifts to give to somebody else then you can truthfully claim on the 4473 that you are the actual purchaser of the guns.

taperxz
12-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Yes it is. ATF even put it on the instructions for the Form 4473. If you are buying guns as bona fide gifts to give to somebody else then you can truthfully claim on the 4473 that you are the actual purchaser of the guns.

Question 12a only applies if you are buying on someone elses (their money) behalf.

Anyway Librarian answered the question for me.

taperxz
12-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Perhaps asked and answered lock? thanks. No need for mis information here.