View Full Version : Can you have two different scopes?

08-15-2007, 8:25 PM
I have an Aimpoint clone red dot and a 3-9x scope for my AR. If I zero in the 3-9x and do some shooting but then want to put on the Aimpoint clone and shoot do I have to re zero everything? How do you get around this?

08-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Get good mounts and remember the placement of the scope when zeroed.

08-15-2007, 10:58 PM
I myself hate taking off one scope to put on another. Solution for me is buy rifle for each scope. :D

But I like the Eotech or Aimpoint with Magnifier twist off option. Red dots to me are the best for home defense out to 200 yards. But it is nice to have a magnifier option for at the range or so you can see the rabbits in the brush.

Guns R Tools
08-16-2007, 12:08 AM
How about tri rail with red dot on left side and scope on top.

With scope you can take time to aim, with red dot point and shoot.

08-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Get some good quick release mounts or rings and you'll be OK. Depending on how good a return to zero you want and how quick and easy a change you want, you can go with Leupold QRW, Warne Maxima QR, or similar rings for a reasonable price, LaRue QR lever mounts for quite a lot more, or anything in between.

If you want to spend less, you can use non-QR mounts and bring along the tools for changing, but the QRs make it quicker and easier.

Here's an assortment of good quality reasonable price rings:

08-16-2007, 2:13 PM
Guess I will look into some good QR rings, thanks for that link! Yea I wish I could just have a gun for each scope! Luckily the GF is getting into it and wants to go precision so I can just borrow her rifle.

08-16-2007, 3:47 PM
I remember reading about the Larue SPR mount and how repeatable it was. Some guys were shooting sub-MOA 5 shot groups but removing and replacing the mount/scope (leaving the scope in the rings) in between each round fired. I only used one for a short time on an upper I put together for a friend and it was flawless. Only downside is the price.

08-16-2007, 4:01 PM
I have Talley quick release rings and bases on a Leupold 1-4X on my 375 H&H and they'll repeat as close to perfect as I can see. I have to buy another set of the rings for my 2.5-8X Leupold and I'll feel perfectly comfortable switching between scopes on that gun.

At over $100 a set, the Talleys aren't cheap.