PDA

View Full Version : 7.62-39 tula & wolf

NOTABIKER
12-24-2012, 5:51 AM
is this stuff clean ? says so on the box. not a time to be picky. i am not a sharp shooter. i just go out and have fun shooting bowling pins. are the primers the only thing that might have salts in them. i still got a box of 20 for 6 bucks. short of a bulk buy [ ammo bros was out] this is a good price.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-24-2012, 6:33 AM
...are the primers the only thing that might have salts in them...

Yes, with smokeless power cartridges the primer is what you have to worry about being corrosive. But commercial Wolf and Tula branded ammo use non-corrosive primers.

JLMXD
12-24-2012, 7:13 AM
I shoot tula all the time. from what i know its non corrosive. Its way more dirty than brass though.

Cowboy T
12-24-2012, 7:52 AM
As others have mentioned, the primer's noncorrosive. A few years back, there was one batch of Wolf in the noncorrosive box that--whoops--turned out to be corrosive. Turns out that the Tula and Ulyanovsk Cartridge Factories still use corrosive primer compound in the ammo that they sell to Eastern Combloc nations, and a batch of those primers somehow made it into the stuff sold to the States. That was a mistake, and Wolf cleaned it up. It was also only 7.62x39, since both use Berdan primers. The .223 is all Boxer-primed now, and that may be why the factories have started moving to Boxer-priming for US-bound ammo now (7.62x39 is still Berdan, though).

One side effect of the .223 Boxer-priming is that it is now easily reloadable on standard presses. Given the current "assault weapon" scare, this may become relevant. I wish they'd move to Boxer-priming for x39 as well.

The powder in Wolf/Tulammo is certainly a bit dirtier. But so what? We clean our guns anyway after we're finished firing them for the day, right? Shouldn't be a problem.

NOTABIKER
12-24-2012, 9:56 AM
i now have a mixed bag of 1,000 rounds of 7.62-39. if i buy it as i use it i should be kinda ok. i do clean my rifles after every shoot.
on a side note i noticed a little rust on my MN M 44 on the magazine area and front receiver area under the chamber. i have been very good at squirting a water -ammonia mix down the chamber after shooting my bulk surplus MN ammo and then cleaning with hoppies or rim oil at home the same day. many patches and Q tips later. plus i always oil all metal parts when i am finished. i think the metal gun cabinet [off the floor] in my atached garage had something to do with it. i did have moisture protection in the cabinet. i moved everything inside the house after seeing some very light rust.

NOTABIKER
12-24-2012, 9:56 AM
i now have a mixed bag of 1,000 rounds of 7.62-39. if i buy it as i use it i should be kinda ok. i do clean my rifles after every shoot.
on a side note i noticed a little rust on my MN M 44 on the magazine area and front receiver area under the chamber. i have been very good at squirting a water -ammonia mix down the chamber after shooting my bulk surplus MN ammo and then cleaning with hoppies or rim oil at home the same day. many patches and Q tips later. plus i always oil all metal parts when i am finished. i think the metal gun cabinet [off the floor] in my atached garage had something to do with it. i did have moisture protection in the cabinet. i moved everything inside the house after seeing some very light rust.

BruinGuy
12-24-2012, 10:36 AM
It's a good idea to follow up cleaning with water (for corrosive ammo) with a few blasts of WD-40. It's not a great lubricant, but it is very good at doing what it was designed to do - displace water. Then clean and oil as usual.

yatzee982
12-24-2012, 6:17 PM
^^^^^ I am gonna start doing that with mine also.

ham
12-24-2012, 8:26 PM
your GTG. i find wolf to be a little dirty, but at the price for it, i don't mind cleaning.