PDA

View Full Version : Question about Burro Canyon...

Roo
08-15-2007, 8:12 PM
What will they let you shoot target wise? I have seen people put up 2x4's, bowling pins, their own target system etc. I was just curious if I could bring a watermelon and shoot it :p.

hoozaru
08-15-2007, 10:54 PM
100 yard minimum for fruits and veges

jumbopanda
08-16-2007, 12:43 AM
I have a computer I need to destroy but I doubt they'll allow that.

Cato
08-16-2007, 1:50 AM
Lots of folks bring fruit and vegitables to shoot. I've even seen guys bring half ripe lemons from their backyard trees to shoot. I asked a range officer directly once what we can shoot and he said ONLY fruits and vegetables and wood targets. But, I have seen guys with metal targets and soda cans even. Depends on who the range officer is that day. For example, I almost always enjoy some rapid fire, but when the old guy is the RO, he forbids it. He even told me, yes the owners allow it, but I dont. On the pistol range I once saw a guy get kicked out for using his Keltec .223. Other times I see folks with ARs there. Melons are great 'cause the deer love to eat them when the humans go home.

wildcard
08-16-2007, 8:12 AM
I assume you're talking about the rifle range? Vegetables, fruits, clays, paper, and bowlings pins are fine. Absolutely no steel (not even if your target stands have steel on it) or anything that creates trash. Pick up all your pieces unless it's organic.

If you're asking about the pistol range.. then all the above plus you can use steel targets.

aplinker
08-16-2007, 1:59 PM
Only fruits and vegetables? Are they vegans? What about a ham? Milk carton? Pasteurized processed cheese food?

Roo
08-16-2007, 2:11 PM
I was there this morning and someone was setting up a few watermelons lol. The old guy RO said 'If you have any extra water bottles they blow up nice!'

I did the membership today for $200 which is a good day. Shoot free and bring a friend for free. Me and my GF will go once a week atleast

mrsr71
08-16-2007, 2:13 PM
This is not intended to hijack this thread but, is the road into Burro Canyon paved all the way? I ask because I ride a street bike.

Roo
08-16-2007, 2:34 PM
This is not intended to hijack this thread but, is the road into Burro Canyon paved all the way? I ask because I ride a street bike.

Except the very top where you park.

mrsr71
08-16-2007, 2:39 PM
Except the very top where you park.

Thanks...

duenor
08-16-2007, 5:41 PM
PLEASE don't do something stupid at burros. that is my favorite range and i see way too many idiots do dumb things there like bring unregistered AWs and such. i really dont want to see the range shut down because someone felt that an MMG or maglock was beneath them.

Roo
08-16-2007, 7:19 PM
PLEASE don't do something stupid at burros. that is my favorite range and i see way too many idiots do dumb things there like bring unregistered AWs and such. i really dont want to see the range shut down because someone felt that an MMG or maglock was beneath them.

This thread is about me bringing a watermelon. Where in gods green earth did we get on the subject about illegal firearms?

TK6790
08-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Just make sure it is a LEGAL watermelon.... :cool2:

82A1CAL
08-19-2007, 11:42 PM
I was always told " No Bottles of any kind"?.

I was there this morning and someone was setting up a few watermelons lol. The old guy RO said 'If you have any extra water bottles they blow up nice!'

I did the membership today for $200 which is a good day. Shoot free and bring a friend for free. Me and my GF will go once a week atleast

duenor
08-20-2007, 8:09 AM
my post was not aimed the op, but rather at anyone readin gthe thread.
the amount of dumbass at bcr has increased vastly in the last few years, esp with pigeon canyon closing down. as more dumbass shows up, rules become tighter and tighter until bcr becomes ... like angeles.

acousticmood
08-20-2007, 3:15 PM
I went to Burro this weekend and they wouldn't let me shoot coke cans on the pistol range - And I had a whole six pack that was shaken up.:)

I guess that means exploding targets are out of the question. :mad:

dfalcon217
08-22-2007, 7:54 AM
When in doubt call and ask. Guys at Burro are very easy to get along with 626-910-1344

theEpiphany
08-25-2007, 8:00 AM
The Rules of Burro have already been described in a few of the above posts.

After being there a few times it seems almost uncanny that ALL of the serious shooters hang to the left side of the 200yd field...while all of the weekend commandos bringing their penis extension guns 12 kids and babies all without ear protection all hang to the right.

As far as thread hijacking goes roo...it sucks but it's damn good advice...as Burro seems to attract some of the Shadiest shooters some time. a few weeks ago some guy apparently just started walking otu to replace his target on the pistol field, under the believe that "nobody was shooting in his lane".

I've had several rifles pointed at me when being unloaded from the car...or cleaned at a bench..

As far as the 200 yard field goes with targets

Nothing that's considered "Trash" is allowed on the field...Bottles..Cans...Metal Targets of Any sort...metal hangers etc....Fruit,veggies, clays, pins, I'm sure eggs wouldnt be a problem.

There's one range officer there that seems to make up his own rules as he goes as far as what's allowed on "his" range that particular day.

I've never had a problem with any of them.

If you're up at Burro...Jeff the Smoke Master makes some mean food...Unfortunately the dumbbutted forrest service shut him down until it rains again....He's been reduced from a first class smoker to a crappy propane tank.

Roo
08-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Yea I love going to Burro on the Weekdays but I don't like to go on the weekends. It seems that Saturdays and Sundays are 'gangster' day lol. I saw a guy last Saturday turn his AK sideways and fire it with people taking pics.

They do allow you to shoot plastic water bottles though, just make sure to pick up your trash.

As far as serious people go to the left I haven't really seen that. If I do go on the weekends sometimes I am stuck on the right. There was some guy on the left that didn't speak english and didn't know hat to do and was getting yelled at for touching his gun during a cold range and he just looked back at the RO with a blank look.

theEpiphany
08-25-2007, 12:12 PM
They do allow you to shoot plastic water bottles though, just make sure to pick up your trash.

That's a new one on me...The normal 200 yard range official always stated NO trash of any kind.

Roo
08-26-2007, 1:03 PM
That's a new one on me...The normal 200 yard range official always stated NO trash of any kind.

The old guy (sorry I keep forgetting his name) was the one that turned me on to it. We were shooting watermelon and he said 'If you have any half empty bottles of water they blow up nice. Just make sure to pick up your trash'. I always make sure I pick up my trash and any bottles around my area, I don't want them to restrict anything because people are lazy. But they are way more relaxed during the week.....

Nickvllfold
08-26-2007, 1:50 PM
When I go I usually bring a few watermellons, cabbages, oranges, and water bottles never had a problem with the RO's. The only thing that sucks about the 200 yard range is that you have to pick up all that stuff and the walk is far if you have to go back and forth to get all the pieces of fruit. If you want to shoot fruits and vegies get a private range or go to the pistol range.

geeknow
08-26-2007, 1:53 PM
for decimating water melons (or anything of the melonious persuasion) grab a private range (the tac ranges up the road a few feet), set up shop and blast away. the way they explained it to me, if it isnt edible, pick it up when done.

extensive "field testing" has illustrated that 5.56 vmax loads are more than capable of bursting melonious targets over a wide area:D

Roo
08-26-2007, 6:10 PM
You only have to pick up your trash, not any of the fruit.

gn3hz3ku1*
09-01-2007, 3:58 PM
yea just leave ur fruit to rot... bowling pins are nice since they can take a few good hits and still be in one piece..

someone offered my friend to "lose" his AR for 1100, mr "dont worry about it essy, it will be out of CA before you know it."

no thanks buddy...
too bad i have 4000 rds of wolf that attracts magnets.. :(

aplinker
09-01-2007, 11:03 PM
yea just leave ur fruit to rot... bowling pins are nice since they can take a few good hits and still be in one piece..

someone offered my friend to "lose" his AR for 1100, mr "dont worry about it essy, it will be out of CA before you know it."

no thanks buddy...
too bad i have 4000 rds of wolf that attracts magnets.. :(

If they offered me that for my AR I'd be losing about a grand...

Scary, though.

I have 1000 more rds if you wanna buy them :p

Upsetting, since they've been magnetic-free for the past 10k rounds.

Roo
09-01-2007, 11:33 PM
If you want to unload your magnetic wolf cheap let me know :)