PDA

View Full Version : How do we keep our children safe?

LCpl Kutches
12-23-2012, 8:02 PM
After hearing the media, and a few friends opinions, what is your opinion?
How do we keep our children safe?

In my opinion, the debate isn't gun control. Restricting a weapon, history has proven that mostly only law abiding citizens are affected and suffer for this. A criminal won't care about any restrictions or laws when they choose to commit a crime.

The truth is to not debate weapons, but lets go to the core of the issue.
How do we keep our children safe? What is your opinion?

strangerdude
12-23-2012, 8:03 PM
Put them in a bullet proof bubble.

Baconator
12-23-2012, 8:06 PM
How can you in a culture that has little value for human life?

Sent from Obama's Mind

myk
12-23-2012, 8:09 PM
How do we keep anyone safe from anything? If it's one thing that our super-convenient, technologically advanced society has done for us, it's protected us from most of the ugliness of the world and life itself. Disease, hunger, and a lot of the other ailments that use to claim thousands of lives in the history of man are pretty much eradicated, especially if you're living in the West. When something "bad" happens we're in shock, because we're not used to the idea of "bad" things happening.

People get sick, they get hungry, and they get killed by murdering animals who wrongfully take inanimate object like guns and knives and go slaughter people with them; this isn't a problem that we can fix with a pill, a phone 'app or lots of talking on Twitter and FB, it's just LIFE and bad things can still happen.

The trick is to try and reduce the amount of bad things that can still happen, instead of throwing the blame around like the anti's, the NRA and just about everyone else likes to do in times like these. We, as people need to look at how we govern ourselves; not just placing emphasis on the Kardashians, the Obamas, or Kobe f**king Bryant, or whatever, but all people, especially the mentally ill that can fall through the cracks and pull off crap like Columbine, Virginia Tech and Sandy Hook. That's what will HELP to keep kids safe-it won't eliminate the problem of death, of life, but it will help...

Ryan in SD
12-23-2012, 8:10 PM
Short answer: you can't, its the world we live in.

OR if you are ignorant, ban stuff like guns, then cars, ban murder again, ban chicken pox, etc etc

curtisfong
12-23-2012, 8:29 PM
freedom, safety, pick one.

JDoe
12-23-2012, 8:41 PM
...How do we keep our children safe? What is your opinion?

Initially we'd need to eliminate restrictions on the carry of weapons by the law abiding public and train those who wish to be trained in the skills of stopping threats quickly.

Crazy idea? Perhaps. Is it the truth and reality? Yup.

Like Ayn Rand said, "We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality."

tcrpe
12-23-2012, 8:42 PM
Box up the crazies.

X231
12-23-2012, 8:47 PM
Well obama keeps his kids under 24/7 armed guard but for some reason our kids don't warrant even a couple of armed faculty on campus.

Nessal
12-23-2012, 8:51 PM
Box up the crazies.

Impossible.

tcrpe
12-23-2012, 8:57 PM
Impossible.

Then be prepared for more gun control. Which is more important to you?

audiophil2
12-23-2012, 9:00 PM
Box up the crazies.

Hitler had the same idea.

stingray4540
12-23-2012, 9:07 PM
We don't. Life in and of itself is dangerous, and no matter what path you take, ends in death. The best we can do as parents is to raise our children to be positive contributors to society.
I am a parent, but would never consider infringing on someone else's freedom to protect her.

advocatusdiaboli
12-23-2012, 9:49 PM
We chose to keep our: airports, courts, Congress, sporting events, president, etc. safe with armed guards. Why do we de-value our children so much that we don't protect them as much as our money and politicians?

Cato
12-23-2012, 10:08 PM
How can you in a culture that has little value for human life?

+1

One solution is homeschooling or a quality private school. Private schools seem much less likely to attract a mass killer.

LCpl Kutches
12-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Maybe my duty to country and service has led me to believe that the sacrifices I have made and willingness to die for what I believe in. That the sacrifices of those that have served and continue to serve in the Marine Corps before me, were for a reason.

But what greater reason to die than for the future our children and the children of others?

Maybe we cannot change humanity, but I don't see a greater purpose in this world than the safety of our children.

Politics and all else aside what greater cause than the safety of children.

I would gladly die, so that even one child could live. I could call many men who feel the same.

There is no greater cause, then the safety of our children.

curtisfong
12-23-2012, 10:43 PM
There seems to be a distinct lack of risk assessment ability in this thread.

Want to be 100% safe and protect against completely improbable outlier events? Put everybody in a cage, naked, for their entire lives.

curtisfong
12-23-2012, 10:44 PM

Freedom is a greater cause than temporary (or illusory) safety.

"Think of the children" has become the rallying cry of those who would take away your freedom without a second thought, or a moment of introspection.

forgiven
12-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Start with homeschooling, then when in public make sure your "packing" and teach your children to shoot at the ages of 6-8 depending on maturity. Time and experience will take care of everything else.

pHredd9mm
12-23-2012, 10:52 PM
One of the reasons we pulled our daughter out of jr high and home schooled her through 12th grade was failure of the school to protect her from bullies on campus (other girls). Schools cannot even protect kids from other kids, with or without other kids having weapons on campus.

forgiven
12-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Amen. Understand, she okay now?

Cato
12-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Freedom is a greater cause than temporary (or illusory) safety.

"Think of the children" has become the rallying cry of those who would take away your freedom without a second thought, or a moment of introspection.

When the NRA suggested we have armed guards at every school I think the suggestion was tongue in cheek. There's no way folks will pony up the cash to pay for that. The general public doesn't care enough about public schools to foot the bill.

forgiven
12-23-2012, 11:00 PM
^^^+1

curtisfong
12-23-2012, 11:01 PM
There are risks a hundred times higher than being massacred by a lunatic. The general population's risk assessment abilities are so crippled that they would start by mitigating the least probable risks rather than the most probable.

forgiven
12-23-2012, 11:05 PM
^^^you can't have my car either, lol...

stingray4540
12-24-2012, 4:06 AM
Your cars, swimming pools, bath tubs, and cleaning supplies. Give 'm up!
Think of the children!

The War Wagon
12-24-2012, 4:34 AM

Well, progtards & libturds ARE scary, because of all the damage they HAVE done, and CONTINUE to do. Children have been scared of 'boogeymen' since time immemorial; we can comfort them after the nightmares for only so long, before they start watching the evening news. Pretty soon, they'll be shrieking - OHYGODIT'STHE WHINESTEIN MONSTEROFMYNIGHTMARESAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGG GGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

You'll hafta calm them down, and explain that - while such boogeymen clearly DO exist - most of them, thankfully, live in the Potomac swamps - or Sacramento - and the chances of meeting on on YOUR street corner are EXTREMELY rare.

Then as they get older, you hafta explain, that by registering as a DEMOCRAP especially, it will turn you INTO just such a boogeyman - a nightmare that NEVER ends. :eek:

Take 'em shooting every chance you can in the meantime - take them with you to Sunday School and church - work with 'em in the Boy Scouts or American Heritage Girls - and try to instill in them a good sense of morality, and knowing right from wrong, and that's the best you can do.

Does that help? :oji:

NotEnufGarage
12-24-2012, 4:45 AM

I disagree. The freedom of us all is a greater cause. Children, while very special, are not irreplaceable. That some us think so is used against us to erode an even greater treasure, our freedom and ability to exercise on of God's greatest gifts to us, free will.

Too keep our children safe, only to enslave them to the debt we're accumulating for them seems rather selfish, to me.

Merkava_4
12-24-2012, 4:53 AM

Take them out of school and home school them.

spetsnaz
12-24-2012, 5:16 AM
be a good father to your kids and they likely wont turn out that way

Hogstir
12-24-2012, 5:16 AM
In our school district the High schools have always had a police officer stationed at the school. Deterrence? How about the sight of his patrol car parked right in front of the office everyday. Most police officers don't earn much more than a teacher so the cost would be like adding 1 teacher to every school. The feds provide money for the free school lunch and breakfast program, money for new text books every year (whether they need them or not) and other silly programs. The US gives away billions in foreign aid every year and we should use some of that money to provide "some" security to our schools.
Obviously we cannot absolutely protect the children all the time but we can provide at least some by putting a leo in schools and gitting rid of gun free school zones.

big ron
12-24-2012, 7:47 AM
How do we keep anyone safe from anything? If it's one thing that our super-convenient, technologically advanced society has done for us, it's protected us from most of the ugliness of the world and life itself. Disease, hunger, and a lot of the other ailments that use to claim thousands of lives in the history of man are pretty much eradicated, especially if you're living in the West. When something "bad" happens we're in shock, because we're not used to the idea of "bad" things happening.

People get sick, they get hungry, and they get killed by murdering animals who wrongfully take inanimate object like guns and knives and go slaughter people with them; this isn't a problem that we can fix with a PILL, a phone 'app or lots of talking on Twitter and FB, it's just LIFE and bad things can still happen.

The trick is to try and reduce the amount of bad things that can still happen, instead of throwing the blame around like the anti's, the NRA and just about everyone else likes to do in times like these. We, as people need to look at how we govern ourselves; not just placing emphasis on the Kardashians, the Obamas, or Kobe f**king Bryant, or whatever, but all people, especially the mentally ill that can fall through the cracks and pull off crap like Columbine, Virginia Tech and Sandy Hook. That's what will HELP to keep kids safe-it won't eliminate the problem of death, of life, but it will help...

Fixed that for you :D

Dragunov
12-24-2012, 9:04 AM

In my opinion, the debate isn't gun control. Restricting a weapon, history has proven that mostly only law abiding citizens are affected and suffer for this. A criminal won't care about any restrictions or laws when they choose to commit a crime.

How do we keep our children safe? What is your opinion?Cover them with prayer. Teach them tactical and situational awareness. Train THEM on what to do. Don't rely on others to do so. Even a six year old can comprehend many of these concepts.

Dragunov
12-24-2012, 9:12 AM
I disagree. The freedom of us all is a greater cause. Children, while very special, are not irreplaceable. That some us think so is used against us to erode an even greater treasure, our freedom and ability to exercise on of God's greatest gifts to us, free will.

Too keep our children safe, only to enslave them to the debt we're accumulating for them seems rather selfish, to me.
Agreed!!!

advocatusdiaboli
12-24-2012, 9:23 AM

Well stated.

pHredd9mm
12-24-2012, 11:09 AM
update for "forgiven" :

Our daughter is fine. She received lots of the right kind of "socialization" with Girl Scouts, church youth groups, 4-H, etc. Of course, we became involved in the leadership of the same groups she was part of. She even took up small caliber rifle target shooting as part of 4-H when we lived then in San Jose (at the San Jose PD shooting range!). She loves to shoot and is comfortable with handguns, shotguns and rifles! We have introduced many of her friends (liberal and conservative) to firearms safety and target shooting (I am an NRA certified instructor). She is now getting ready to graduate from the local community college and transfer to an out of state university (in a shall issue state). :) :)

natasha69
12-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Bring back mandatory 2 year military service. Would fix a lot of problems besides dealing w/armed intruders. Folks would undergo psych exams, learn basic skills which are no longer taught by our schools, churches, and communities. They could also qualify for training which allows for CCW.

But, this is a long term fix.

TMcGuff
12-24-2012, 1:32 PM
you are very moto or very boot.

Maybe my duty to country and service has led me to believe that the sacrifices I have made and willingness to die for what I believe in. That the sacrifices of those that have served and continue to serve in the Marine Corps before me, were for a reason.

But what greater reason to die than for the future our children and the children of others?

Maybe we cannot change humanity, but I don't see a greater purpose in this world than the safety of our children.

Politics and all else aside what greater cause than the safety of children.

I would gladly die, so that even one child could live. I could call many men who feel the same.

socalbud
12-24-2012, 1:46 PM
Eliminate Guns is a start...:oji:

gruntinhusaybah
12-24-2012, 1:51 PM
It's my responsibility, not anyone elses to keep my children safe. I've chosen to keep them in public school because both my wife and I work.
So while they are at school, I'm trusting the school to keep them safe. I'd like teachers to have the option of carrying a gun at school.
It's an imediate action that will actually bring in money and not cost us any more.
Make the state shall issue, and get rid of "gun free zones" everywhere

I was at Granite Hills when there was an active shooter, happened just outside my 5th(I think) period history class, he was stopped pretty quickly and decisively by armed response. So I have no illusions that armed guards, police, or armed citizens will prevent another attempt at murder in a school, it does present the opportunity to immediately end the threat though.

oddball
12-24-2012, 2:19 PM
You CANNOT LEGISLATE 100% safety.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Ryan in SD
12-24-2012, 3:29 PM
You CANNOT LEGISLATE 100% safety.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

And that is my new sig.

scrubb
12-24-2012, 6:49 PM

No such thing. Danger is everywhere, traffic, riding a bike, eating a steak, flying. You could try building a hardened bunker in the mtns and live as a recluse until they are ready for college.

wash
12-24-2012, 7:30 PM
If you want to virtually eliminate violent crime, it could be done for future generations but the solution would require social change that many people would call unconstitutional.

People don't want to talk about real lasting solutions but they don't mind destroying families with the welfare system, psychoactive drugs being passed out like M&Ms and lucrative black markets created by failed government policies.

The best we can do is suggest solutions that will minimize or deter future attacks.

No one can offer safety.