PDA

View Full Version : Gun Stores, Seeing Upsurge in 1st Time Gun Buyers?

bodger
12-23-2012, 5:13 PM
I was wondering if any of the CalGunners who work in or own gun stores are seeing an increase in the amount of first time gun buyers.

12-23-2012, 5:23 PM
I dont work in one but from what I have gathered it does seem like alot are first timers, and some have very deep pockets too lol.

Jet Setter
12-23-2012, 5:29 PM
I have personally witnessed several first time gun purchases at some local LGS. Lots of "looking for a nice, smaller, handgun for my wife to shoot." Per the shops, lots more new buyers than normal.

guntrust
12-24-2012, 9:33 AM
In my estate planning practice, i have noticed a sharp increase in the number of complete novices interested in establishing a nominally funded gun trust even if they do not have guns now, because they intend to acquire weapons soon (in some cases, after taking my free concealed carry class).

ICONIC
12-24-2012, 2:42 PM
I was at Ammo bros the other day. I have never seen such long lines to buy a firearm. People are gobbling up black rifles as fast as they can.

MikeinnLA
12-24-2012, 2:57 PM
I stopped in at Turner's Reseda today just for fun, not looking for anything. The next number on the machine was 76, but they were calling # 90. I asked a clerk how that works and he said, "They're calling A90. The next number is B76. There are 86 numbers in front of you.":eek: People were buying like crazy.

Mike

hornswaggled
12-24-2012, 3:05 PM
Nutnfancy has 3 great videos up on "Firearmageddon".

Yes I like nutnfancy so what.

geeknow
12-24-2012, 3:25 PM
OP,

Yes, without a doubt, we are seeing a very large number of first time buyers.

It really says something about public support from "John Q American" about the thought of new restrictions on basic freedoms.

It seems that many perceive this as "the writing on the wall", and want to make sure they're good to go, in the event something does happen to further curtail their rights.

Moonshine
12-24-2012, 4:02 PM
When I went to DROS lowers before the great panic my friend came with me and DROSed a Sig Pro 2022 and a del ton lower. In hindsight probably should have gotten 2 lowers but I wanna have money left for an AK-74 build in January.

Anchors
12-24-2012, 8:01 PM
New first time buyers all over the place.
It is awesome.

Of course there are also a lot of seasoned vets stocking up too.

nick
12-24-2012, 8:10 PM
I don't work for a gun store, but a lot of people I've been working on for months to turn into gun owners all of a sudden decided to get guns in the past week or so.

Garand1911
12-24-2012, 9:45 PM
newbies getting into buying guns is cool

newbies not fighting for their 2nd Amend rights to keep those guns is not cool

mshill
12-24-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm a first time gun buyer, visited the local Sacramento Black Rifle Dealer two days before the CT shooting and bought 4 stripped lowers. The plan was to build them up for myself and three grown sons, purchase three 9mm handguns (over several months) for myself, my wife and eventually my daughter, and get a shotgun for additional HD.

I finally decided to get off the fence because of the uncertainty of a super-majority in the state legislature. I have to believe that there are many more like myself that have not understood the gravity of the situation until post-election. I intend to make sure my children do not make the same mistake that I have.

scrubb
12-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Interesting. I was in Turners in Fountain Valley today, and of course, all ammo was cleaned out except for a little of .380, .40, and .45.....still quite a bit of .45 actually.

Gun store guy was telling me he was amazed at the amount of first time buyers coming in. Many people never even touched a gun before. He stated that one guy came in, never touched a gun in his life before, ended up buying over $4000 in rifles and a handgun. Gun store guy curiously asked what he was gonna do with them (like hunting, target shooting), he stated "nothing, I just want to have them." Anywhose...I digress. Lot of shotguns left, and quite a few bolt actions (what I am interested in). They had no idea of course when more ammo would be in. Glad I bought some before all of this madness.

Cheers,

Sacramento Black Rifle
12-24-2012, 10:41 PM
I was wondering if any of the CalGunners who work in or own gun stores are seeing an increase in the amount of first time gun buyers.

Yes we are, And lots of female first time buys.

Josh3239
12-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Employee here. It seems no matter the time there are always a large amount of new buyers, or they could just be previous gun owners who know very very little. The fact is even before all the panic buying gun ownership was rising. There are more veteran gun owners coming out to buy stuff and there are more newbies coming out to buy stuff. The ratio between newbies and veterans seems fairly constant to me. I know if you go to most small gun shops here in SoCal, they are and have been for some time out of HSCs.

JMP
12-24-2012, 11:05 PM
My sister and brother and law finally got their first gun yesterday after not getting around to it forever.

AVgunGUY
12-24-2012, 11:17 PM
I was at turners in orange and they only had about 4 or 5 EBRs (i didnt think much of it) I also stopped by Fowlers in Orange and they had none. I asked and was told that they were sold out of semi auto rifles (not just EBRs - but all semi auto rifles). They were expecting more after Christmas but had sold out. Both stores were jammed packed.

jbj
12-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Rettings told me that last weekend might have been one of the busiest they've had.

safewaysecurity
12-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Buddy of mine is all of a sudden itching to get an AR for his first gun. Might even sell him mine.

Vlad 11
12-25-2012, 1:51 AM
I'm a first time gun buyer, visited the local Sacramento Black Rifle Dealer two days before the CT shooting and bought 4 stripped lowers. The plan was to build them up for myself and three grown sons, purchase three 9mm handguns (over several months) for myself, my wife and eventually my daughter, and get a shotgun for additional HD.

I finally decided to get off the fence because of the uncertainty of a super-majority in the state legislature. I have to believe that there are many more like myself that have not understood the gravity of the situation until post-election. I intend to make sure my children do not make the same mistake that I have.

Welcome to the new gun buyers and shooters

This is very heartening. I have a feeling this is happening on a grand scale nationwide.

The truth is there to be seen and many more people are opening their eyes now

CessnaDriver
12-25-2012, 2:05 AM
The more they threaten to ban and take away the more people buy them and the more people will resist them.

bodger
12-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Good, I'm glad to hear this. Hopefully these new buyers will also join the movement to preserve out 2A rights.
I live in LA and know a fair amount of veteran gunnies. I am also being asked a lot of questions by non-gun owners who want to purchase a firearm for the first time. More often than I have ever experienced in the past.

My next door neighbor is an attorney and pretty liberal, but indicated to me he would like to buy some guns before any more restrictions are in place. I referred him to Rettings in Culver City and he bought a Glock 9mm and a Remington 870. I told him about CalGuns and CGF, he said he was going to join and donate. I also encouraged him to get some good training on safe firearms handling and storage.

I guess this isn't what the antis had in mind, eh?

Dieter
12-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Would be nice if gun dealers knocked a few bucks of off first-time buyer purchases and bought them a 1-year NRA membership if they so agreed. Maybe some are doing this?

a1c
12-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Haven't been in a LGS in a couple of weeks, but I can tell you several of my gun-owning friends who until now didn't show much interest in owning an AR are now very much motivated, and I'll be placing a "group buy" on 80% lowers in the upcoming weeks.

Sutcliffe
12-25-2012, 1:13 PM
My sister and her husband live in a gated, Blackhawk community and wanted me to take them shooting and look into purchase of a gun at home. My 70 yr old aunt had a neighbor(92 yrs old) robbed, assaulted, maced by some high school kid that broke into her home a few weeks ago and she wants a handgun for the nightstand.

It seems for all the public outcry from the usual sources is almost tempered by affluent liberals who previously had no use for guns.

DTOM CA!
12-26-2012, 9:02 AM
You notice the MSM has stuff everyday about gun control but has done almost nothing on the increase in gun sales and NRA membership. Hmmm.