PDA

View Full Version : A History Lesson Please

Stoked
12-23-2012, 1:33 PM
Ok I have a question that's been nagging me.

I am not old enough (or just wasn't involved enough in the gun community) to remember the last AWB.

My question isn't about that ban at all but about public response. As I go to gun stores and look at websites it is very clear that the public is in panic mode about getting "theirs" before they don't get the chance.

Was there this much panic buying last time around or is it different this time?

I guess I am wondering if those who have lived this type of talk before believe this will pass, we will move beyond this panic, and that inventory will come back in time?

sarabellum
12-23-2012, 2:31 PM
Post 1994, there was a severe, irrational panic so much so that 10+ round magazines sold out, <10 round magazines were inflated, <10 round arms like the 1911 were inflated, and the so-called "assault weapons" were inflated. Price gouging was the order of the day in the immediate period after the AWB came into effect.

Assuming the AWB were approved by Congress and the President on Jan. 1, 2013, the national AWB would not likely become effective until January 1, 2014. Indeed, the inventory for all of the banned products would have to be re-stocked during that 12 month period. The national competitors would have to start selling some product again or risk losing the market, and prices will stabilize during those 12 months. Notice that there is a glut of products due to stock piles of magazines, parts, accessories, etc, held by folks. After the height of the panic prices drop and availability of some things rises after folks realize that they bought things that they did not need. This is the historic scenario outside of California.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/mattis1.html

Since we live in California, an AWB zone, if a national AWB occurs again, in some months after the national AWB, our market will return to the same place it was before- paying $20 for a $10 product.

Take a deep breath Stoked...take it from an old timer, when it comes to firearms, hold out for what you want and how much you want to pay. I learned from the 1st national AWB that when buying any firearm, a factor in the choice is the availability and price of the mags in lieu of the base price of the firearm. Best wishes to you.

Stoked
12-23-2012, 2:58 PM
Post 1994, there was a severe, irrational panic so much so that 10+ round magazines sold out, <10 round magazines were inflated, <10 round arms like the 1911 were inflated, and the so-called "assault weapons" were inflated. Price gouging was the order of the day in the immediate period after the AWB came into effect.

Assuming the AWB were approved by Congress and the President on Jan. 1, 2013, the national AWB would not likely become effective until January 1, 2014. Indeed, the inventory for all of the banned products would have to be re-stocked during that 12 month period. The national competitors would have to start selling some product again or risk losing the market, and prices will stabilize during those 12 months. Notice that there is a glut of products due to stock piles of magazines, parts, accessories, etc, held by folks. After the height of the panic prices drop and availability of some things rises after folks realize that they bought things that they did not need. This is the historic scenario outside of California.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/mattis1.html

Since we live in California, an AWB zone, if a national AWB occurs again, in some months after the national AWB, our market will return to the same place it was before- paying $20 for a $10 product.

Take a deep breath Stoked...take it from an old timer, when it comes to firearms, hold out for what you want and how much you want to pay. I learned from the 1st national AWB that when buying any firearm, a factor in the choice is the availability and price of the mags in lieu of the base price of the firearm. Best wishes to you.

Well that's how I was feeling, I just didn't have the history to back it up. I foresaw this coming to an extent and have planned ok. Not great, but good enough.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will just enjoy the view. :)

donw
12-23-2012, 3:27 PM
i don't think it's "IF" another AWB comes along...it's WHEN and just how severe it will be.

the media and the legislators are in a panic mode and paint the picture that there's an "Assault weapon" (what ever that is) in every closet just waiting to do evil.

i remember a sheriff (IIRC it was Baca) crying that "The streets are going to run red with the blood of good cops if this ban is lifted."...how many cops have been slain with "Assault weapons"? none that i'm aware of...it's been 8 years...

what we need to do is keep calm, see what's proposed, then see what we need to do to neutralize.

keep in mind...many of the legislators now are irrational and dysfunctional at this level of anti-gun hyperbole.

donw
12-23-2012, 3:28 PM
i don't think it's "IF" another AWB comes along...it's WHEN and just how severe it will be.

the media and the legislators are in a panic mode and paint the picture that there's an "Assault weapon" (what ever that is) in every closet just waiting to do evil.

i remember a sheriff (IIRC it was Baca) crying that "The streets are going to run red with the blood of good cops if this ban is lifted."...how many cops have been slain with "Assault weapons"? none that i'm aware of...it's been 8 years...

what we need to do is keep calm, see what's proposed, then see what we need to do to neutralize.

keep in mind...many of the legislators now are irrational and dysfunctional at this level of anti-gun hyperbole.

38superdupper
12-23-2012, 7:29 PM
California gun law history 101

HlhIW8X5cRU

DrVino
12-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Just came across this on another board:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr1022/text