View Full Version : Procedures to sell RAW out of state?

12-23-2012, 12:00 PM
What do I have to do to sell my RAW to an out of state buyer? Can I ship directly to buyer's FFL or do I have to use an FFL on this end too?


12-24-2012, 3:26 PM
Anyone? ... Bueler? ... Anyone?

12-24-2012, 3:29 PM
I believe (IANAL) that you need to go to an FFL-07 with a CA-AW license and have him ship it. I think you can drive it out yourself, but not ship it. Emphasize on the believe and think.

12-24-2012, 3:29 PM
Don't do it, never can return to this stupid state

12-24-2012, 5:49 PM
To ship you need an FFL with an assault weapons permit. (FFL 07 is for manufacturing, FFL 01 for sales, FFL 02 for pawn shop). Any will have to have a CA DOJ Assault Weapons Permit in addition to the FFL.

12-24-2012, 6:05 PM
You can always physically drive it out of state yourself and use an FFL to do the transfer out there.

But you do know that every time you dispose of a RAW from CA, a puppy gets eatin'.
So save your RAW, and save a puppy.

12-24-2012, 8:39 PM
Assuming on the features it has, most states allow new sales of what is totally banned here. Bans on overall length, hi caps, BB ect. that make a California RAW worthwhile in the state are normal features available to people of most other states.

A folding stock AK with a 30rd mag and no bullet button is a big no-no in this state unless its a RAW. Go to NV, you can buy that gun from most any shop and walk away no questions asked. Same would go for a PPT to a state like that.

The law as I know it state that you cannot transfer a CA RAW to another resident of CA. Selling to someone in NV, AZ ect shouldnt be an issue at all. I do believe you would need to inform the CADOJ of the transfer to take your name off the registrar if Im not mistaken.

12-24-2012, 8:57 PM
1) drive it out of state
2) Transfer through a CA FFW with AW permit
3) If applicable, remove the features that make it a RAW and sell as any other gun. Naturally this won;t work with "named" RAWs.

Don't forget to fill out a "No longer in possession" form and mail it to the DOJ.

12-24-2012, 9:05 PM
Take it apart, sell the parts, it'll be rebuilt here by someone else, and they'll have no effin idea where it is. Then turn in the lower.

12-24-2012, 9:19 PM
Thanks guys. Its a Colt pre-CA ban Medium Target Sporter circa 1986-87. Banned by name.

I agree its a shame to send it out of state, but opportunities to give it a new home in-state are extremely limited thanks to that stupid law.

12-24-2012, 9:26 PM
God kills a fleet of kittens when a CA RAW is deregistered or sold.

We really need to keep the AW database populated for as long as possible so the DOJ has to stay on its
toes and not let things go into decline and have a bit of 'occupational therapy' in that arena.
You can drive /fly with your RAW outside CA to any non-CA FFL and transfer it thru that FFL. Ensure it's
locked and unloaded during transit. CA AW laws have 'specific authoirzed destination' requirement and
'out of state' is indeed a valid destination. Travel directly out of state and don't wander around, shop
and visit elsewhere on the way out of CA.
If you want to ship to (buyer's) FFL from within CA it needs to run thru a CA FFL that also holds an AW permit.
Be prepared for pricey fee$.
You can also drive/fly out of CA with the RAW per second item above, and then SHIP the gun yourself from, say,
a Reno or Vegas or Phoenix etc. UPS station or (long guns only!!) a US Post Office - to the buyer's destination FFL.
Ignore any idiots that say to declare the gun as "machine parts" etc.: declaration allows insurance coverage etc.
If the gun is a CATEGORY 3 RAW ("by features") - as opposed to a CATEGORY 1 (Roberti-Roos) or CATEGORY 2
(Kasler-identified AR/AK "series" member) -- then sufficient evil features can be removed, or a Bullet-Button-style
maglock attached to gun, so as to render the gun as a non-AW.

[Category 3 RAWs are AWs due to configured features suite, not due to registration; its registration merely *allows*
it to be a legally-possessed AW.]
If you care to, you can de-register the RAW by filing a "No Longer In Possession" report with DOJ Firearms Bureau.

If you don't, it'd be fun to have yet another incorrect datum in the DOJ database. It really won't harm the out of
state buyer; there will be a 4473 etc. reflecing lawful transfer from his local FFL.


12-24-2012, 11:28 PM
God kills a fleet of kittens when a CA RAW is deregistered or sold.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Not the kittens! :(

12-24-2012, 11:46 PM
I thought it was puppies. If he must do it, then do it. Keep the paperwork from the sale, and neglect the no longer in possession of phase just to add a bit more corruption to the stupid database.