View Full Version : Just Sad: Contra Costa Times / San Jose Mercury News Front Page

12-23-2012, 11:19 AM
I opened up my paper this morning and saw something that has really left a bad taste in my mouth...in total disbelief....

The front page reads "WHAT WILL IT TAKE" in bold with a picture of an AR-15 and the start of the article by Mark Emmons. What put the bad taste in my mouth and angered me was that it was bordered by the 20 children who were killed in the Sandy Hook tragedy with their name and age. I just don't understand how someone can use "these faces of innocence" (first sentence of the article) for a personal gain....I sure the only thing people take from this article, whether they read it or not, is that it's guns (the pictured AR-15 topping the article) that killed those children and won't even think about the guy who pulled the trigger each time. The article doesn't mention school, it mentions sanctuary. I looked up the definition of sanctuary and one of the definitions was "A place offering protection and safety". Where was the protection....

It's sad how today it's not about the people who lost their lives but it's about "how we can take this and use it to our advantage". They don't care about the principle and the teacher who sacrificed themselves for their students because that doesn't benefit what they are trying to achieve.

I was thinking about the difference between a responsible gun owner and a non responsible gun owner (in this use of the word i refer to gang members, thieves, etc..) and I came up with 2 main differences. When I see a gun I see a tool thats capable of many uses both good and bad and requires a lot of respect. I see the history behind it and admire the mechanical engineering that goes into the design and the physics of it. They see a gun as a weapon that can inflict harm, be used for a personal gain. The other difference is i respect and cherish life, I'm mentally stable and know the only time I'd ever aim my sights at another human being is if the life of my family and I is in immediate danger. To them, life isn't sacred, their personal gain/agenda is more important.

When someone is killed by a drunk driver we don't blame the car, the tool in this situation. The car doesn't even cross our mines, it's the person driving, the drugs and alcohol that we think about. Yet when someone is shot, the main focus isn't on the person, their mental stability, the drugs and alcohol but it's the gun, the tool.

The people who can go to a school and murder children and students, who can open fire in a crowded environment aren't stable mentally and need help. For the people in office, those who want stricter gun control laws they're ignoring the cause and focusing on a symptom.

It's saddening that the 20 kids who lost their lives won't be at rest for a long time because people have to use their picture, their memory for a gain.

12-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I have long ditched San Jose Mercury News. It's constant pushing of liberal propaganda doesn't suit me. And I am not giving them my money to do their liberal deeds!

12-23-2012, 12:00 PM
I personally would be angry if I was one of the parents and it was my child's photo being paraded around like this. It's bordering on disrespectful.

If the other side wants to "talk" about gun control it can do so without sensationalizing it.

12-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Unfortunately, "emotions" speak louder than "words" ...

donny douchebag
12-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Meh, ef the Murky News. Liberal propaganda rag if there ever was one.

12-23-2012, 12:24 PM
I have long ditched San Jose Mercury News. It's constant pushing of liberal propaganda doesn't suit me. And I am not giving them my money to do their liberal deeds!

Yep. I don't even visit their web site because I don't want them generating ad revenue off my web clicks and searches.

12-23-2012, 1:28 PM
I just wrote a complaint to their outreach department and cancelled my membership. They may be sensationalizing in this way because they think it will sell more papers (sadly the are probably right), but I hope it backfires on them. Todays article was disgusting on a number of fronts and people need to send the Mercury News a message that they crossed the line.

For anyone considering cancelling your membership, please make sure you send them your thoughts as well so that they know exactly why you are unsubscribing.

12-23-2012, 2:01 PM
I stopped buying the San Jose Murky News over a week ago because of their liberal anti-firearm propaganda.

I simply got tired of it and will vote with my wallet.

The Wingnut
12-23-2012, 2:08 PM
My parents were turning away their door-to-door pushers with the words 'Not until you hire more conservative writers!' when I was a kid...that was 25 years ago.

The Murk has been the Murk since the 1970s. Nothing worth reading in there other than the comics.

12-23-2012, 2:14 PM
When I was a kid. I dreaded the Sunday merky news. It meant I had to change the hamster cage. My parents still live in San Jose and still subscribe. Some times my dad sits and types out a angry missive to the editorial and the just deletes. Some times he sends to me. Makes him feel better. He has been published a few times. The sports section isn't that bad. Other wise. Commie drivel front to back