PDA

View Full Version : FFL Needed for OLL Pistol Transfer in So-Cal ****FOUND!!!****

AJAX22
08-15-2007, 1:57 PM
Hi Guys,

As we've discussed before single shot pistols with a barrel length of more than 6 inches are exempt from drop safety test requirements.

I've found an FFL out of state who is willing to assemble an AR pistol receiver (with manufacturers letter) into a single shot bolt action pistol with a barrel length of more than six inches.

Now I need to find an FFL in So-Cal who is willing to do the Transfer.

Anyone up to it?

Thanks.

(If this is in the wrong section, I apologize, I thought that since it deals with working around the drop safety law it fit under legal)

bwiese
08-15-2007, 2:09 PM
Good man, the law is on your side and you appear to have covered your bases.

Do be aware that 12133PC single-shot pistol exemption has both a min. barrel length (6") and min. overall length (10.5", as I recall) for dimensional compliance. For such a pistol as you describe, one minimum tracks the other.

The 12133PC exemptions for single-shot pistols and single-action revolvers reflect the state of the pistol or revolver at the moment before the sale/DROS thru the moment after accepting delivery after the 10 day wait. [And possibly for entry into state for non-LEO resale, so for now it's a good idea, until further reasearch, that all modifications into complaint states happens outside California.] There is no expression of permanence or 'original design intent' and it makes no matter what the gun was before its compliant state or what it would be after modfications after being legally sold to the owner.

You of course are indeed allowed to modify handguns in most any way possible, with the exception of turning them into an assault weapon or creating an NFA/specially regulated firearm ("unconventional pistol"): there is no prohibition on action type change, barrel length change, etc. once the gun's in your hands.

The mag well should be filled with some kind of locked-in single-shot sled block for legal safety's sake - while there is no requirement of tool usage, it just smells a bit better if push comes to shove.

ldivinag
08-15-2007, 2:10 PM
or just get the DPMS single shot lower like the one i got registered for a 50 cal... hee hee....

AJAX22
08-15-2007, 2:39 PM
Thanks bill,

I've been looking into this for a while.

My plan for blocking the mag was to use a standard maglock device (prince 50 in my case, tho others would work)

along with a Jimmy plug. http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/100002647.jpg

I may fill the jimmy plug with epoxy to create a ramp for the bullet to follow, but it isn't an absolute necessity, once its in place, it can no longer accept a magazine and is a single shot pistol.

I'm going to be using an inexpensive barrel turned down to 7 inches by a machinist who will ship it directly to the assembling FFL. The barrel will have no gas port, delta assembly, FSB, or handguards so that it will be obvious that it is a single shot gun simply from visual observation.

combined with an Ace pistol buffer, the overall length will be well in excess of the required 10.5 inches.

I'm trying to do this in a way that other CA residents can easily repeat.

and Idivinag.... the point is to get the pistol lower into the state, I don't actually want a single shot .223 pistol. (I actually want an OA93 with a pinned 10 round magazine and no evil features)

one step at a time we'll get there.

I want to see AR pistols for sale in every gunshop in the state...

hoffmang
08-15-2007, 3:12 PM
Oh this looks like fun!

-Gene

bwiese
08-15-2007, 3:24 PM
Oh this looks like fun!

Wheee!

Ford8N
08-15-2007, 5:30 PM
What if you blocked the mag to a single shot and used a mag lock on one of these?

http://www.forthehunt.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=78141204

Good to go?

KenpoProfessor
08-15-2007, 5:46 PM
So that brings up a question. I've got an OA96 that I managed to remove the mag from (with a great deal of difficulty I might add) while I was in CA. Essentially, you cannot load a mag into it, and, there's no mag catch or release on it, so it is a single fire weapon. I could legally sell this in CA correct? If so, PM me if you're interested, I can get whatever I want now :43:

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Fjold
08-15-2007, 6:26 PM
Oh this looks like fun!

-Gene

I don't have any interest in single shot pistols anymore (sold my last XP100 earlier this year) but this is going to be fun to watch.

:lurk5:

AJAX22
08-15-2007, 6:50 PM
Alright guys, yes this might be applicable to other guns, however lets take this one step at a time.

And just because it transfers to me as a single shot bolt action doesnt mean it has to stay that way.

Some people who might not be into single shot guns might actually think a 10 round fixed mag 5.56 semi auto pistol is kinda cool.

or a beta mag equipped bolt action long range target pistol in .223

or a .22LR 10 round pinned mag semi auto for plinkin fun...

or a 10 round pinned mag 9mm semi auto

The point is to get the lower into the state legally. once its here.... well I'm sure we all could come up with things to do with it.

bg
08-15-2007, 7:25 PM
Maybe the fellow at Bright Spot Pawn Shop might give it a try ? >

Bright Spot Pawn
9075 Mission Boulevard, Riverside, CA 92509
(951) 360-1796

Satex
08-15-2007, 9:14 PM
What upper do you plan on using?

AJAX22
08-15-2007, 9:25 PM
I have a flattop upper with a target barrel held on just with a barel nut. I think it's an Olympic Arms upper/bolt/boltcarrier.

later on I will probably be modifying an OA93 or OA96 upper to be CA compliant by removing the Free float tube and pinning the flash hider in place.

wilit
08-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Might I suggest a bobsled for the magazine replacement?

http://www.dctechs.com/obspage.htm

http://www.dctechs.com/bobsled10.jpg

AJAX22
08-16-2007, 7:01 AM
Those Bob-sled's look neat and would be alot more functional that just a Jimmy plug.

If I have any issues making the jimmy plug do what I need it to do, I'll definitly switch to the bobsled. However for starters I'm going to try to make this work using the 10$ part instead of the 40$ part since I plan on converting it to either a pinned 10 round mag or a detachable mag setup prior to being taken to the range.

Thanks for the tip tho.

JPglee1
08-16-2007, 8:08 AM
Those Bob-sled's look neat and would be alot more functional that just a Jimmy plug.

If I have any issues making the jimmy plug do what I need it to do, I'll definitly switch to the bobsled. However for starters I'm going to try to make this work using the 10$ part instead of the 40$ part since I plan on converting it to either a pinned 10 round mag or a detachable mag setup prior to being taken to the range.

Thanks for the tip tho.

Find a steel mag body and I can make you a block, and since you helped me so much of course it would be my pleasure (for free) to do it for you.

As for an FFL try these guys:

Hesperia Pawn
760-244-3338

They're very pro-gun (and the employees are shooters)

Also might wanna try:

Lock Stock N Barrel
760-243-AMMO (2666)

JP

Anonymous Coward
08-16-2007, 9:42 AM
Not to take this too much off-topic, but I'm wondering if the following would work:

The out-state transfer/sale where the out of state FFL modifies a semiauto handgun so that it's single-action. E.g. in a 1911 replace the recoil spring by one that's not able to fully return the slide to chamber a new round. To make it clearer that the intented use at the sale is single-action, the sold magazine could be modified to hold just one round.

What happens after the transfer is up to the user, as long as he doesn't turn it into an AW.

Is there a problem with that?

Satex
08-16-2007, 5:29 PM
I have a flattop upper with a target barrel held on just with a barel nut. I think it's an Olympic Arms upper/bolt/boltcarrier.

So by bolt action, you mean that you will be using the charging handle to pull back the bolt and load a round via the unmodified ejection port?

AJAX22
08-16-2007, 5:34 PM
Yes, It is possible to alter a 1911 to conform to state law (there is a bit more to it than what you describe, but it can be done) it's also possible to alter an AK pistol to conform to state law. I'll work on it once I've got all the logistics done with the AR pistol project..

I dont have money to do everything at once, but you guys are more than welcome to take up the torch and give it a try on your own.

now PLEASE, lets try to keep this thread about finding a dealer who will do the transfer on my OLL AR pistol.

AJAX22
08-16-2007, 5:35 PM
So by bolt action, you mean that you will be using the charging handle to pull back the bolt and load a round via the unmodified ejection port?

Correct

Q
08-16-2007, 7:46 PM
Ajax, I'm interested in one if you can get the bobsled on it.:)

Good job wiilt, I saw that single shot mag a long time ago but couldn't remember where.

Hopefully I'll be able to get one for my birthday. :D

aplinker
08-17-2007, 3:14 AM
Really glad to see you're running with this. It's something that's been on my list for a while. I've been tied up this week but was thinking about starting making calls next week, too. Maybe we could coordinate the list of possibles and make those calls.

I need to get that barrel, too.

Oh the possibilities!

Hi Guys,

As we've discussed before single shot pistols with a barrel length of more than 6 inches are exempt from drop safety test requirements.

I've found an FFL out of state who is willing to assemble an AR pistol receiver (with manufacturers letter) into a single shot bolt action pistol with a barrel length of more than six inches.

Now I need to find an FFL in So-Cal who is willing to do the Transfer.

Anyone up to it?

Thanks.

(If this is in the wrong section, I apologize, I thought that since it deals with working around the drop safety law it fit under legal)

AJAX22
08-21-2007, 3:52 PM
I FOUND ONE :D

he asked me not to post the name of the shop just yet (he's getting a DOJ audit and doesn't want the extra attention)

Soon I'm going to be the proud owner of a CA legal AR15 pistol.... wooooo hooooo!!!!

Other firearm conversions were discussed as well, new projects may be on the horizon as the budget allows (might be a while ;) )

arguy15
08-21-2007, 3:53 PM
Great job, many will follow.

AJAX22
09-19-2007, 2:37 PM
I just wanted to let you all know that I placed the order for my complete AR pistol lower today. I'm shipping off my upper, buffertube assembly, and bolt carrier assembly in the next few days.

I'll post pics when I'm done... but she should be sweet.. and I will have a FULLY TRANSFERABLE off list AR15 based target pistol.

cost for the lower, parts kit, assembly and shipping is less than 300$

cost for upper 85$

cost for barrel 50$

cost of mag lock 20$

cost of jimmy plug 10$

cost for pistol buffer assembly 35$

cost for bolt carrier assembly 100$

so I'll be out the door with a beautiful bolt action single shot for somewhere around 700$ I am using a bunch of used parts to put the bolt action together, to do it new would be more. but whats the point when it will be a 10 round bullet button or mag lock gun once its passed DROS.

Fjold
09-19-2007, 2:44 PM
Cool, very interesting but:

:useless:

Just kidding!

Let us see it in 2 weeks!