PDA

View Full Version : Support the NRA's National School Shield Program

Flipdude
12-23-2012, 12:12 PM
If we are going to stand for something, at least stand up for our right to protect our children while they are in school. I urge you to please support this program by signing this petition. What I can't believe is that there are more people signing to deport Piers Morgan than to fight for their right to protect their children! Pass this along to your friends and family who supports this program! Thanks for your support!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/support-and-fully-endorse-national-rifle-associations-national-school-shield-program/zDkJjQ12

Flipdude
12-23-2012, 1:44 PM
Wow, this is a real big disappointment, not one reply...for all that the NRA stands up for your gun rights, you can't even back up their one proposal to protect our kids! Where does that put us all? If you already signed the petition, then please post here. I hope that the discussions here about protecting our kids are not just rhetorical nonsense.

dieselpower
12-23-2012, 2:03 PM
facebook shared it.

Flipdude
12-23-2012, 2:05 PM
Thanks Diesel!

NiMiK
12-23-2012, 2:09 PM
Signed!

Flipdude
12-23-2012, 2:14 PM
Thanks Nimik!

Rob7.62
12-23-2012, 2:22 PM
Signed

Marinos
12-23-2012, 2:42 PM
Signed

Carnivore
12-24-2012, 1:37 AM
Sorry you are disappointed but the reality is if you got 10 million signatures the Obama regime isn't going to do this. It isn't about keeping kids safe it is about votes and banning guns, period.

Flipdude
12-24-2012, 7:24 AM
Sorry you are disappointed but the reality is if you got 10 million signatures the Obama regime isn't going to do this. It isn't about keeping kids safe it is about votes and banning guns, period.

Thanks for your input Carnivore, I understand all that. But, if we who are pro 2nd Amendment advocates, do not support the foremost authority (NRA) on fighting for our rights to bear arms, who else would? How are we going to convince the legislators that this is the will of the people if we don't stand up for the NRA? We can't be divided on this, we need to be "All In", or we might as well surrender our guns right now. The general public and most of all the media, will see this and have a field day with it.

There is another thread (poll) here asking "would you volunteer to guard schools?" and 55% voted "Hell Yes!". If that is the case, then the National School Shield Program will give them that opportunity. Look, this is not about getting the most people to reply to my thread, I just want to know that all the discussions here about protecting our schools can be backed up with actions by signing the petition. Senators Dianne Feinstein, Yee and DA Harris are all banding together by putting laws into action as we speak, we must do the same.

Carnivore
12-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Agreed, I am not against you here the problem is thinking that those petitions do anything. It is just a feel good measure put in place to let people vent. Really do you think they will deport Piers Morgan is the petition reaches the number necessary? If not then you have to admit there are other ways to be heard and not waste time on something that is no more helpful then ranting on a Youtube video on you tube. I applaud your effort but aim it at something that has hope to work. That is all...

Dennisz1
12-25-2012, 8:42 AM
Signed, about 2/3 of the way there.

Dennis

Mulay El Raisuli
12-25-2012, 9:10 AM
It isn't that I'm against the idea. Its that the effort is directed to the wrong people. The White House simply won't do anything.

What might have a chance of accomplishing something is for all gunnies everywhere to wrote their local school boards.

I remember the fight to make motorcycle helmet use mandatory in the PRK. TONS & TONS of signatures on petitions were collected in opposition. The number of petitions in favor were no where near as numerous. But, they included petitions signed by the AMA & other doctors. Result, we now have a mandatory helmet law in the PRK.

Now, whether you approve of helmet laws or not isn't the point. The point is that WHO favors an idea matters a lot. If we can show the local school boards that their bosses (the voters) want REAL protection in the schools instead of meaningless pablum, the local school boards will express their support of the School Shield Program. And The Chosen One (or at least the Congress) will listen to them.

The Raisuli

Trenchfoot
12-25-2012, 9:36 AM
only if they get Nick Fury on board...

adrenaline
12-25-2012, 9:47 AM
I signed it. I supported this idea even before NRA stated it. I convinced a buddy of mines who is the head security administrator for a private school to start looking into security. After he did the rundown of his active shooter procedures, I asked him what the next step was when the kids were all locked down. He admittedly said they cower down and call the police.

I asked how he felt about the pain-staking long minutes it took for the police to arrive that the shooter kept shooting at children. It dawned on him that waiting would be too late and he wants to be armed and his staff as well.

Now....he just needs to fight the politics of it. I wished him luck.

turinreza
12-25-2012, 9:56 AM
I don't like this program. What happens when the guard is a no show?
There is no shield.

Let's push CCWs for Teachers, administrators who WANT to carry and to compromise, keep the Gun Free Zone for those who are not teachers, administrators so this could happen. THen you can add armed guards for
schools who don't have enough teacher volunteers.

press1280
12-25-2012, 6:03 PM
I'm against this if it's implemented by the Feds. State, local, no problem.

Flipdude
12-25-2012, 7:33 PM
Thanks for all the feedback about this program, lot's of things to consider that's for sure. Nevertheless, Merry Christmas to you all and best wishes that the new year will bring new hope for us and our cause.

Mulay El Raisuli
12-27-2012, 7:39 AM
There is no shield.

Let's push CCWs for Teachers, administrators who WANT to carry and to compromise, keep the Gun Free Zone for those who are not teachers, administrators so this could happen. THen you can add armed guards for

That this is a better way to go is undeniable. However, I'm not sure that "better" can be pushed right now. Look at all the opposition we're getting now. To an that idea that Babs & Slick Willie first proposed. That calls for having a trained policeman carrying the gun on campus. The thought of a teacher packing heat must be (is) giving them fits.

Now, when rationality returns, THEN we can push for sensible rules.

The Raisuli

Marthor
12-27-2012, 7:13 PM
I'm finding out now that the white house cherry picks which petitions to respond to. So, getting 25k doesn't guarantee a response anymore.

GoodLand
12-27-2012, 8:48 PM
Signed it thanks for the link

Mottmcfly
12-27-2012, 8:54 PM
Signed and thanks.

ES13Raven
12-27-2012, 9:00 PM
Signed

slaphappy
12-27-2012, 9:04 PM
Signed, 3K to go.

JohnDumke
12-27-2012, 10:41 PM
signed!

warbird
12-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Maybe the NRA should morph into something else since the general public believes the smear campaign against it and has for years. No matter how good or well intended something is if it has the NRA name on it a huge number of people (non-gun owners/brady bunch) immediately attack it and drag it down into an endless debate. I think the NRA could come up with the solution and it would be beaten down simply because their name is on it. even within Calguns there is a division over them. Just an observation that is neither for or against the NRA.

Flipdude
12-28-2012, 1:51 AM
Thanks for those who supported this program, only time will tell if, and when, this program will be considered at all by our legislators. My hope is that the decision to adopt this program, will be up to the states, counties, cities and towns if it's not federally sanctioned. Let's just hope that our elected officials will do the right thing for our children and educators.

guitar-nut
12-28-2012, 2:01 AM
Wow, this is a real big disappointment, not one reply...for all that the NRA stands up for your gun rights, you can't even back up their one proposal to protect our kids! Where does that put us all? If you already signed the petition, then please post here. I hope that the discussions here about protecting our kids are not just rhetorical nonsense.

Your kids aren't any less safe now than they were weeks ago. All this knee-jerk "protect our kids" stuff is almost as silly as the knee-jerk "ban guns" reaction. Any chance we can stop behaving like emotional soccer moms and just keep living our lives?

Teachers should be allowed to CCW. Armed guards at every school? That just seems to be playing into turning us into a culture of fear. This isn't Gaza. It's not Northern Ireland in the 70's. We don't live in a warzone, nor should we act like it.

Flipdude
12-28-2012, 2:30 AM
I think that Americans have been very passive about getting involved in our duties as citizens to ensure that the checks and balances in our government are in place. Otherwise, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

I believe that most of us have lost our faith in this government to do what is constitutional and to look out for it's people. IMHO, we have been living our lives and became comfortable and complacent and trusted our elected officials to run things without much involvement on our part. And here we are wondering what, how and when did this happen?

I have never seen this much involvement about our laws and rights as Americans since Sept. 11, 2001. We have to be proactive and have a voice or we will lose it.

One78Shovel
12-28-2012, 5:07 AM
signed

thrasherfox
12-28-2012, 4:05 PM
Signed it.

And IRT the people that say its not worth the time, so why bother.

Gawd that attitude pisses me off. it is the same thing I hear about people and voting

"my vote wont count anyway so why bother"

fricken really!! I think it is what? 50% of the population votes, the other 50% doesnt. maybe if the other 50% voted something would happen.

If I were to guess, I would say a majaority of people on welfare and somekind of other assistance program vote so they can keep their free hand outs.

I would also bet most of the people who dont vote are middle class, hard working people who feel they have other things to worry about, they are smart enough to realize our government is corrupt and they just say screw it, why bother.

If I am correct, the majority who dont vote would probably vote conservative and could help turn this country around.

Like I said in my other thread I just started, if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

I.E. telling people something wont work is not productive. if you dont feel like supporting in some way, thats fine, your choice, but people need to stop trying to put other peoples ideas down. at least let them try, dont discourage them.

If you know why an idea wont work, offer it up but also try to provide some constructive input to help.

thrasherfox
12-28-2012, 4:11 PM
Your kids aren't any less safe now than they were weeks ago. All this knee-jerk "protect our kids" stuff is almost as silly as the knee-jerk "ban guns" reaction. Any chance we can stop behaving like emotional soccer moms and just keep living our lives?

Teachers should be allowed to CCW. Armed guards at every school? That just seems to be playing into turning us into a culture of fear. This isn't Gaza. It's not Northern Ireland in the 70's. We don't live in a warzone, nor should we act like it.

We just had 20 children killed and 6 adults. we have had other school shootings.

So your solution is to do nothing?

Great...

Your right, teachers should be armed. But as someone else stated, most teachers are liberals, they dont want to have anything to do with guns.

My wife works for a school system, I have talked to a few teachers about the issue, they look at me like I am crazy and they dont want to have anything to do with guns.

I only know a few teachers that are into guns and would probably carry if they could.

So if the teachers dont want to carry guns the next option is armed security. and I say plain close, concealed carry so it isnt obvious.

Code
12-28-2012, 6:09 PM
Signed

Silverbullett
12-30-2012, 4:00 PM
Signed.

SlipperySlope
12-30-2012, 4:08 PM
Signed

LibertyDeath
12-30-2012, 4:11 PM
There is no shield.

I agree. I would much rather not have the added expense of armed guards. Plus you also still have the same problem of a gun free zone.
Honestly, I don't want my children to go to a school that is more like a prison than an actual prison. Quite frankly, these incidents are so infrequent and so random that these resources would be better spent on mental health treatment and training teachers to recognize warning sign of active shooters.

safewaysecurity
12-30-2012, 4:14 PM
Here's my question. Where is the authority in the constitution for this?

Schlyme
12-30-2012, 4:25 PM
signed! Utah has had CCW in schools for 7 years! I think it may not be right for every situation, but the NRA program is going to tailor a schools security to what that school needs! To leave schools unprotected is no longer an option!

The Utah info comes from a blog written by Larry Correia.
http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2012/12/20an-opinion-on-gun-control/

strangerdude
12-30-2012, 4:29 PM
How long before students star being policed? I'll pass, thanks. I'll go for volunteer teacher with ccw after extensive psych eval, and training.

NotEnufGarage
12-30-2012, 6:08 PM
Thanks for your input Carnivore, I understand all that. But, if we who are pro 2nd Amendment advocates, do not support the foremost authority (NRA) on fighting for our rights to bear arms, who else would? How are we going to convince the legislators that this is the will of the people if we don't stand up for the NRA? We can't be divided on this, we need to be "All In", or we might as well surrender our guns right now. The general public and most of all the media, will see this and have a field day with it.

You do not support the NRA by signing a worthless petition.

You support the NRA and the work they do by becoming a member, paying dues and contributing to them and other 2nd Amendment organization, such as SAF, CGF, CRPA and CCRKBA.

Emails, phone calls, letters, faxes and petitions, outside of specific legislative votes, do very little for our cause. The people receiving the letters, emails, calls and faxes have already made up their mind and you're not going to sway them at this point.

AnthonyD1978
12-30-2012, 7:31 PM
We don't need another federally funded (tax payer) program that will be ran like money is free. Last thing we need is a school TSA.

The NRA should be pushing to get rid of gun free zones and promote LTC for school staff. Instead NRA wants to blame video games and create another government agency.

CDFingers
12-31-2012, 6:25 AM
We have to ask the un asked question: "Who's going to pay for all that training, and who's going to pay for all those armed guards?"

Unfunded mandates are flawed.

CDFingers

Adog5
12-31-2012, 9:52 AM
Like a sign on your front lawn that says 'Protected by ADT', you don't need to actually have a security system to deter a bad guy (burglar). Just give the right for teachers and staff to conceal carry (maybe enact some new procedures for training those who want to CCW on school campuses) and make it public. If more shootings occur, then I can guarantee you that teachers and staff will eventually want to use that right to CCW on campus. But CCW doesn't have to mean carry on their personal bodies. It could mean they conceal a safe and a kevlar vest in their desk in case of emergencies.

Flipdude
12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
An email sent from the office of Asa Hutchinson, National Director of the NRA's National School Shield program.

Greetings.

Shortly after announcing my new role as National Director of the NRA’s National School Shield program, tens of thousands of Americans immediately began offering their ideas and support.

It’s gratifying to see so many people coming together for this critical mission. Assuring the safety of our children at school is a complex, long-term challenge, but you’ve already shown the dedication and conviction that will be necessary.

I am currently consulting with parents, security professionals, educators and community leaders in order to arrive at specific proposals that will be beneficial to our school districts but will also include solutions on training, funding, and federal and state partnerships.

I look forward to sharing those proposals with you in the coming months. While we want to act with a sense of urgency we also want to come up with the right solutions for school safety. We will give you another report in January. Until then, thank you for your continued support.

Asa Hutchinson

robertmcm
12-31-2012, 5:22 PM
Yeah, I am not for some other federal agency. I do however tip my hat to the NRA to start the discussion of people being armed at schools.

I am for teachers who decide to carry to be able to carry. However what the NRA is doing is trying to start the conversation.

Mulay El Raisuli
01-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I am not for some other federal agency. I do however tip my hat to the NRA to start the discussion of people being armed at schools.

I am for teachers who decide to carry to be able to carry. However what the NRA is doing is trying to start the conversation.

And that's all they're doing. There's no money for putting cops in schools. The whole of the effort is to divert effort form what won't work (AWBs, etc), to what will work; "good guys with guns" in the schools. Since there's no money for extra people at the schools, & since letting teachers carry works so well in Utah & Texas, the effort will (eventually, hopefully) lead to this being allowed nationwide.

The Raisuli

Hogstir
01-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Most High schools already have a police officer stationed at the school with the patrol car parked right in front of the office. All we need to do is expand the program. Are we really going to miss one less cop writing traffic citations? Put him in the school instead.

GoingPro
01-01-2013, 11:48 AM
done, if it matters or it doesnt... just sign it

mike.h
01-01-2013, 11:48 AM
done