PDA

View Full Version : Least popular member of Calguns here;

Vepr 54R
12-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I was wrong about liking CA gun laws...ftwdk, I tried to argue that we should compromise with the powers that be to implement CA gun laws instead of a full on semi auto ban.

I admit it, I got caught up in the emotional hysteria after the shooting.

I was arguing this point with a coworker and he made a spot on observation.

A couple weeks ago Javon Belcher a linebacker for the Chiefs killed his girlfriend then himself using a pistol. In the immediate aftermath everyone was talking about guns (basically the "how" not the "why") which seems to be a knee jerk reaction when a gun is used.

Two years ago Chris Benoit (a wrestler from the WWE) did basically the same thing; he killed is wife and his son then commited suicide. Except he didn't use a gun, he used a knife to kill his family then he hung himself. Since a gun wasn't used people were a lot more level headed and were focusing almost entirely on the "why" not the "how". Most of the speculations centered on steroids and traumatic brain injury. (and the general problem of these things in pro sports) And wouldn't you know it, Benoit's autopsy confirmed these things. So why don't we talk about these things with Belcher? Steroids and TBI are a known problem within the NFL, but because he used a gun everybody went full retard and started saying things like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjbUf4GZrMk

Had Lanza used a bomb to blow up the school, we would probably be spending a lot more time on the "why" than we are now.

So now I must say sorry for being a tool and sorry for being wrong.

(and oh yeah, stop the panic buying)

Capybara
12-23-2012, 12:04 PM
It takes a big man to admit when they were wrong.

Now do 15 Hail Marys and go pay $3,000.00 for a $700.00 EBR as penance ;-)

nrgcruizer
12-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Takes a lot to admit you're wrong about certain things. Glad your senses are back. lol

oddball
12-23-2012, 12:08 PM
I am glad you made it out from the Darkside.

Cooler heads will side against gun control.

Unfortunately, stupidity and ignorance refuse to listen to reason and fact.

vintagearms
12-23-2012, 12:11 PM
A measure of a man is being truthful and apologizing when he is wrong. Good job!

mag360
12-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Cdfingers is still the least favorite. He will post on a thread something completely irrellevant and blame it on republicans. Lol.

Good for you vepr. Glad you came around.

Tarn_Helm
12-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I was wrong about liking CA gun laws...ftwdk, I tried to argue that we should compromise with the powers that be to implement CA gun laws instead of a full on semi auto ban.

I admit it, I got caught up in the emotional hysteria after the shooting.

I was arguing this point with a coworker and he made a spot on observation.

A couple weeks ago Javon Belcher a linebacker for the Chiefs killed his girlfriend then himself using a pistol. In the immediate aftermath everyone was talking about guns (basically the "how" not the "why") which seems to be a knee jerk reaction when a gun is used.

Two years ago Chris Benoit (a wrestler from the WWE) did basically the same thing; he killed is wife and his son then commited suicide. Except he didn't use a gun, he used a knife to kill his family then he hung himself. Since a gun wasn't used people were a lot more level headed and were focusing almost entirely on the "why" not the "how". Most of the speculations centered on steroids and traumatic brain injury. (and the general problem of these things in pro sports) And wouldn't you know it, Benoit's autopsy confirmed these things. So why don't we talk about these things with Belcher? Steroids and TBI are a known problem within the NFL, but because he used a gun everybody went full retard and started saying things like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjbUf4GZrMk

Had Lanza used a bomb to blow up the school, we would probably be spending a lot more time on the "why" than we are now.

So now I must say sorry for being a tool and sorry for being wrong.

(and oh yeah, stop the panic buying)

I did not understand the Second Amendment until living through some "civil unrest" in 1992.

It can be difficult at first to separate all of the different moral, legal, political, ideological, and practical issues--and to then prioritize what needs to be done.

Bottom line: The only real way to prepare to fight a bad guy who is armed with a firearm is to put in place at least one well-qualified good guy with a firearm.

Since we can never anticipate how many bad guys will make a bid to harm innocents, the prudent thing is provide for the arming and training of as many good guys as possible with the most effective weapons possible.

Eventually, if you are honest with yourself, you can admit this grim but empowering fact.

The more of us who are well armed and well trained in a moment of crisis the more of a chance that one of us will be able to take down a bad guy intent on harming innocents.

Of course, tasers and pepper spray are better than nothing.

But the best defense against a firearm is a firearm in the hands of someone ready, willing, and able to use it effectively in a moment of crisis.

Keep studying: read articles, books, blog posts on every aspect of the topic of personal and public safety.

There is a lot to learn.

As for staying humble and being willing to change, grow, and learn: Good job.
:hurray:

bigdawg86
12-23-2012, 12:32 PM
:grouphug:

Peter W Bush
12-23-2012, 12:34 PM
A measure of a man is being truthful and apologizing when he is wrong. Good job!

This. Glad you came to your senses.

phrogg111
12-23-2012, 12:39 PM
The only thing that can stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun.

We protect our money with armored cars, vaults, and guns. We protect our children with good intentions. The money is safe.

Term
12-23-2012, 12:44 PM
We forgive you.
Now everybody hold hands.:winkiss: :flowers:

Librarian
12-23-2012, 1:00 PM

Closed.

Librarian
12-23-2012, 1:00 PM

Closed.