PDA

View Full Version : The Case For a US Gun Buyback Program:

SilverTauron
12-23-2012, 6:17 AM
The Australian "outlaw and repurchase" option is one approach. But if Congress balks at banning certain weapons entirely, it could make gun owners an offer they can't refuse. Instead of $200 a gun, Uncle Sam might offer $500.

So imagine a $100 billion, one-time program aimed at buying back 200 million firearms at $500 a pop. We issue the payments in prepaid credit cards that expire in three months to be sure the money is spent fast.

Presto! So long as the federal money is borrowed, we get an immediate boost to demand, jobs and growth. And with long-term interest rates at all-time lows, there's never been a better time for the feds to overpay gun owners and get these weapons out of circulation. The president can even pitch selling a gun to Uncle Sam as a patriotic act - part of a national rethinking of our gun culture.

Besides, by structuring the buyback so that half is administered via refundable tax credits, Republicans could take credit for a major tax cut, to boot.

Source. (http://azstarnet.com/news/opinion/the-case-for-a-massive-us-gun-buyback-program/article_ee9fd684-a338-5606-8e61-c60fcccc8f50.html)

Hogstir
12-23-2012, 6:19 AM
Like I would sell a 1500.00 Ar for 500?

Blue Ridge Reef
12-23-2012, 6:27 AM
Um yeah, I don't think I own a black rifle with less than 2 grand in it. I'm not going to sell them for $500 bucks to anyone, especially Uncle Sam.

SteveMartin
12-23-2012, 6:30 AM
and they'll also claim it's boosting the economy. :rolleyes:

SilverTauron
12-23-2012, 6:31 AM
Um yeah, I don't think I own a black rifle with less than 2 grand in it. I'm not going to sell them for $500 bucks to anyone, especially Uncle Sam.

The anti's are not fools. The $500 is the carrot. The "stick" could range from mandatory jail time for noncompliance to a $1000 annual tax levy per gun. It might not deter us , but it would for the majority of the 90 million gun owners out there.

DrewN
12-23-2012, 7:37 AM

TBF, $500 isn't bad for a stripped lower, which is what I'd be turning in if forcibly compelled.

Pupuslinger
12-23-2012, 7:43 AM
TBF, $500 isn't bad for a stripped lower, which is what I'd be turning in if forcibly compelled.

+1...that is ll they can assume I have anyways. And I already have that covered.

Rossi357
12-23-2012, 7:47 AM
Everyone who sells their gun for a food voucher is choosing to be a well fed victim.

Carnivore
12-23-2012, 7:53 AM
The Constitution is truly dead if anyone would contemplate turning in their arms and not taking up arms against those that seek to destroy the constitution. All I can say is duck and cover because those (un-arming stations) are going to become war zones. This is just sad.

m03
12-23-2012, 7:56 AM
Astonishing. These idiots really have no idea how much most guns cost.

CCWFacts
12-23-2012, 8:40 AM
What an idiot. Yeah if I had $100bil to spend on anti-violence, I could come up with some much more immediately effective ways to use it. Like spending it on immigration enforcement and deportation (real physical removal from the country, not just sending a deportation notice) of anyone who is here illegally and gets arrested or has a traffic violation. That would reduce more violence than ANY type of gun buyback or gun control initiative imaginable.

cdtx2001
12-23-2012, 8:43 AM
DUPE!!!!

As has been stated on other threads of the same content:

My guns and my rights are not for sale!!!

speedrrracer
12-23-2012, 8:43 AM
Yeah, um the barrel on my AR cost 465 plus tax

I don't think I'll give them the whole rifle for 500, but thanks for asking

ps this is why God invented the 80% lower

spamsucker
12-23-2012, 8:45 AM
OP your copy/pasted analysis is excruciatingly flawed. In order to keep guys like pretty much all those above from calling you names, how about you annotate your pasted text with "pasted from www.headuparse.com"

The act of pasting that kind of drivel here is, I think, nothing less than trolling.

LCpl Kutches
12-23-2012, 9:12 AM
Most weapons turned in during a "Buyback program" are typically non functioning weapons or stolen weapons, sometimes both.

In Los Angeles someone turning in a "Rocket Launcher"
It was a training AT4 and said "Training" on the side. Someone got a gift card for it.
Another guy turned in a .22 Rifle he had hid and forgotten about behind his water heater.

The entire "Buyback program" is just a feel good program.
I read somewhere in Los Angeles let alone there are 1.5 million weapons. The gun buyback program purchased 953 weapons.
Clearly all the illegal weapons were purchased because criminals found a way to get money for their weapons.

rimfire78
12-23-2012, 9:22 AM
Giving out gift cards that are worth (on average) 1/3 of the initial investment ?
Not to mention that the money used to buy them back will come out of our pockets anyway????

rimfire78
12-23-2012, 9:22 AM
Giving out gift cards that are worth (on average) 1/3 of the initial investment ?
Not to mention that the money used to buy them back will come out of our pockets anyway????

Harrison_Bergeron
12-23-2012, 9:38 AM
I think the issue brought up in the OP is a good one. People say that a retroactive ban can't happen because it would violate the 5th Amendment unless they paid for the guns, and they have no way of paying for the guns with the state of the economy. People in the know would recognize the legal flaws regardless of their opinion on the 2A and EBRs.

The economy was screwed when they passed cash for clunkers, but "free" money, making the world less warm(I think that was the goal), and economy stimulation were enough to push the bill through. If pitched as another stimulus, to save the children, a national buyback could have the support of the general population.

Ten Rounder
12-23-2012, 10:03 AM
To the felons next door? Not them, they will reap the rewards of no opposition when they apply thier trade in earnest. Much like the .gov will do too!

navycorpsman
12-23-2012, 10:10 AM
I give them nothing i would rather De mill my Ar before I hand it over o these idiots

Apocalypsenerd
12-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Hmm, turn in Mosins and buy some real quality weapon with the proceeds?

Scott Connors
12-23-2012, 11:22 AM
What an idiot. Yeah if I had $100bil to spend on anti-violence, I could come up with some much more immediately effective ways to use it. Like spending it on immigration enforcement and deportation (real physical removal from the country, not just sending a deportation notice) of anyone who is here illegally and gets arrested or has a traffic violation. That would reduce more violence than ANY type of gun buyback or gun control initiative imaginable.

Let me get this straight...we can't afford to put a cop in each and every school, but we can afford to buy back the millions of semi-auto rifles owned by private citizens in this country? Really puts their priorities into focus, nicht war?

thayne
12-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Not one inch...

phrogg111
12-23-2012, 11:53 AM
The Australian "outlaw and repurchase" option is one approach. But if Congress balks at banning certain weapons entirely, it could make gun owners an offer they can't refuse. Instead of $200 a gun, Uncle Sam might offer $500.

So imagine a $100 billion, one-time program aimed at buying back 200 million firearms at $500 a pop. We issue the payments in prepaid credit cards that expire in three months to be sure the money is spent fast.

Presto! So long as the federal money is borrowed, we get an immediate boost to demand, jobs and growth. And with long-term interest rates at all-time lows, there's never been a better time for the feds to overpay gun owners and get these weapons out of circulation. The president can even pitch selling a gun to Uncle Sam as a patriotic act - part of a national rethinking of our gun culture.

Besides, by structuring the buyback so that half is administered via refundable tax credits, Republicans could take credit for a major tax cut, to boot.

Source. (http://azstarnet.com/news/opinion/the-case-for-a-massive-us-gun-buyback-program/article_ee9fd684-a338-5606-8e61-c60fcccc8f50.html)

Wow. This is said like people will actually participate in gun buybacks.

Good thing it's impossible for me to make a gun in my garage with under $400 in tooling. [/sarcasm]

thayne
12-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Wow. This is said like people will actually participate in gun buybacks.

Good thing it's impossible for me to make a gun in my garage with under $400 in tooling. [/sarcasm]

:43:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/179192-DIY-Shovel-AK-photo-tsunami-warning!?p=2695046&viewfull=1#post2695046

nick
12-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Would this be the same people who complained about the cost of having armed guards or cops in schools?

bmuoio
12-23-2012, 12:11 PM
I feel this is 1 of three things that are going to happen. 1st they do what this thread is talking about? Well guess what History repeats itself and there will be a Civil war over a 100 million gun owners that will be damn to turn **** over! 2nd case scenario is they make another assault weapons ban and good luck trying to find ammo? (except if your a criminal) 3rd and would be the best and smartest thing the government could do to lower horrific gun crimes is allow law abiding citizens with the most stringent back round checks to OPEN CARRY! These crazy's would think again about trying to take life's along with there own might think twice before trying to cause mass infliction! What do you all think?

jonc
12-23-2012, 12:12 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

pistol3
12-23-2012, 12:45 PM
The president can even pitch selling a gun to Uncle Sam as a patriotic act - part of a national rethinking of our gun culture.

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous gun grabber statements I've read since the hysteria started. Does this guy seriously think Americans are going to trade their second amendment right in exchange for a couple hundred dollars borrowed from the Chinese, or worse printed by the Federal Reserve, because the Gun Grabber in Chief says it is patriotic? Imagine if our ancestors, instead of defending the guns at Concord, had simply turned them all over to the British for a few pounds (or whatever currency they were using back then). I guess in the eyes of Matt Miller from the Washington Post, they would have been patriots. :facepalm:

USMCM16A2
12-23-2012, 1:00 PM
To the author of the article,

Eat **** and die............. A2

Rob7.62
12-23-2012, 1:12 PM
Disarm the presidents secret service that are protecting him his wife and kids if that's the case along with congress. If I can't protect myself and my family why should he. Very elitist way of thinking. Fair is fair Mr. President.

SamsDX
12-23-2012, 1:46 PM
Add another zero to that figure, and maybe we can start talking about buying back a Phoenix Arms HP-22 .22LR pistol. Everything else goes up exponentially from there.

Why won't Diane Feinstein, Leland Yee, Tom Ammiano, and Nancy Skinner put their money where their mouths are, ante up a couple hundred thousand dollars each to get the pump primed? If they believe in their cause that much, I call on them to do their part beyond making law-abiding citizens into criminals overnight.

HonkingAntelope
12-23-2012, 5:06 PM
It's amazing how few of the liberals' idea don't involve taking money away from people capable of supporting themselves and giving it away to those who can't under the guise of "helping the economy" or "It's for the children".

A halfway decent handgun or long gun costs at least $500 at a store, not to mention all the accessories like scopes that often cost more than the gun itself. On the other hand, what sane criminal wouldn't turn down the chance to score an extra $500 and no questions asked just to dump a gun used in the last night's drive-by or a liquor store robbery gone bad?

Besides, basing US gun laws on those of a former penal colony is a non-starter for anyone with a functioning brain.

ssaction
12-23-2012, 5:38 PM
The gov't should spend the money on mental health. It would be better spent.

skyscraper
12-23-2012, 5:58 PM
How much will they pay me for a springfield professional that I own?

Nessal
12-23-2012, 6:03 PM
It's not about money. For those that are so willing to give up their only guarantee for freedom for imaginary currency don't deserve to live in this country.

HonkingAntelope
12-23-2012, 6:21 PM
The gov't should spend the money on mental health. It would be better spent.

Tragically, if any kind of ban passes at all, it's only in our best interest that we have as many untreated crazies out in the wild as possible.

60bomber
12-23-2012, 7:00 PM
So they buy our guns with our money borrowed from the federal reserve then we have to be responsible for paying a new debt added to our exsisting one.