PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Corwin/BlackwaterOPS - any news today?

Jicko
08-15-2007, 9:16 AM
8/15!! Is today THE DAY? Any news??

shark92651
08-15-2007, 3:53 PM
I'm curious myself - wasn't today the day we were to find out how long we have to wait to hear something different later? :kest:

hoffmang
08-15-2007, 5:22 PM
Legal cases are very hurry up and wait.

-Gene

artherd
08-15-2007, 11:26 PM
I haven't heard anything, but that means nothing yet :P Statement will be made available here as soon as it is possible & appropriate.

Jicko
08-16-2007, 8:25 AM
Anyone here went to the hearing??

WolfMansDad
08-16-2007, 7:17 PM
The hearing was postponed again. I don't yet know the new date.

mdhpper
08-16-2007, 9:00 PM
The suspense is killing me!

Roo
08-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Wow I just read up on this case. First thing I am doing is taking the pictures and videos of me and the GF shooting the AR at the range off.

artherd
08-20-2007, 8:07 PM
That's funny, I'm putting up MORE. I won't live in fear.

Roo
08-20-2007, 8:27 PM
That's funny, I'm putting up MORE. I won't live in fear.

Has nothing to do with living in fear, it has to do with being smart. I am one semester away from graduating and I don't need to put my future on the line. I have worked too hard for this to have it taken away because some LEO wants to make an example of me. I also do not need the hassle and couldn't afford a legal battle.

artherd
08-21-2007, 1:40 AM
Has nothing to do with living in fear, it has to do with being smart. I am one semester away from graduating and I don't need to put my future on the line. I have worked too hard for this to have it taken away because some LEO wants to make an example of me. I also do not need the hassle and couldn't afford a legal battle.

Everyone has to pick their battles, sadly as each gun owner hides and compromises, we all loose a little bit.

CalNRA
08-21-2007, 1:55 AM
Everyone has to pick their battles, sadly as each gun owner hides and compromises, we all loose a little bit.

can you blame him for not wanting to lose the degree he worked hard for? especially given what happened to BWO?:(

hoffmang
08-21-2007, 9:26 AM
You don't lose a degree over bogus charges. You lose a semester, some amount of money, and his time. Right now he pays for his time and is not being paid for his time.

It is an understandable risk aversion however.

-Gene

Roo
08-21-2007, 10:27 AM
You don't lose a degree over bogus charges. You lose a semester, some amount of money, and his time. Right now he pays for his time and is not being paid for his time.

It is an understandable risk aversion however.

-Gene

Sure loosing a semester seems like a small setback but it is a little more difficult than that. What if I get kicked out and something put on my record? Most schools do not allow you to transferthe last semster and graduate, you need to take a certain number of units from that specific school. So sure I do not loose a degree but I add 1 year and maybe more to graduate?

VeryCoolCat
08-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Being made an example of sure does suck.

Look at Kevin Mitnick.

hoffmang
08-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Innocent until proven guilty is an important item to remember. Your college can't expel you simply for being charged. Also note that you are highly unlikely to get BWO's treatment. There were likely on campus political issues that lead to his treatment. Once out on bail you are free to continue classes.

Please ground your fear in the realities, not fear of realities that don't exist.

-Gene

C.G.
08-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Once out on bail you are free to continue classes.

Gene, I thought I've read that the school filed a restraining order against BWO. Was it dropped?

Whitesmoke
08-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Gene, I thought I've read that the school filed a restraining order against BWO. Was it dropped?

That was my understanding too...I thought I read he wasn't allowed on campus.

pnkssbtz
08-21-2007, 12:37 PM
...Your college can't expel you simply for being charged. Also note that you are highly unlikely to get BWO's treatment.

Gene, I tend to agree with you, or take your opinion for one that is more informed than my own. However I have to ask a question:

How can you say a college can't simply expel you for being charged given what happened with BWO? In BWO's case the school took out a restraining order against him, which is the net same result as expulsion.

If it can't be done how come it has been?

*Edit*
Also, how can the school even get a restraining order? How has BWO displayed any actions against the campus that would justify a restraining order?

bwiese
08-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Being made an example of sure does suck.

Look at Kevin Mitnick.

Competely different situation.

Kevin Mitnick committed (and admitted to) actual crimes.

lawnrevenge
08-21-2007, 1:20 PM
Many school have a nice little policy that if you do not file a leave of absence prior to missing more than one semester/quarter you are no longer enrolled. MY school requires a reason for the leave of absence that is academically beneficial (i.e. internship) getting reinstated is almost impossible. So a TRO that lasts more than a semester will make finishing your degree very difficult without the help of another lawyer. It is a defacto expulsion.

jmlivingston
08-21-2007, 1:52 PM
Everyone has their own tolerance for risk and consequences. In fact, I'd even say that an individuals own tolerance changes based on particular life circumstances.

Take BWO - months after his arrest the felony charges are still pending, he still has the TRO from his college (as far as I'm aware), and his defense is already estimated to cost at least $30-$50K. Almost the entire case against him seems to be fabricated primarily on just a few things: pictures/video-clips/blogs he posted on myspace compounded by bad timing in regards to the V. Tech shooting and some campus politics at the college he attended. BWO was willing to let it all hang out, and I believe he knowningly did so. I'll bet one of these days BWO will be married, maybe even have a couple of kids, and he'll probably be a bit more risk-averse than he is now as a single guy, Army Reservist, and attending a local jr. college.

Back when the OLL movement was just getting off the ground, how many times was it posted here that obtaining one wasn't for everyone? I remember FFL's here who were making buyers sign statements which identified the risks of what was/wasn't legal. How many times was it posted "we need a test case" to bolster the position that OLL's were truly legal? It's only coming up on two years from all that craziness. While a lot of headway has been made in regards to the popularity of OLL's, and a lot of inaction on the part of DOJBOF as well, there still hasn't been anything to definatively support the Harrott decision come from either our legislature or judiciary. Once the ruling in Harrott is confirmed and the news is effectively spread to all those 58 jurisdictions, it will be a much different story.

Roo has not "abandoned the cause" or anything, he's just making sure that anything which appears to be discriminatory is not publically available to be used against him. Living cautiously is not necessarily living in fear. It sucks that sometimes life comes down to managing risk like this, but not everyone has deep pockets to fall back on while "fighting the good fight" and concurrently maintaining other responsibilities (i.e. family, schooling, etc).

John

hoffmang
08-21-2007, 4:53 PM
A couple of points of clarification. I'm not aware of BWO's TRO status, but that's not likely to happen to most people. BWO was politically active on campus and (I have no inside info) but I expect that there is more nastiness to the political angle that generated this attention for BWO. Roo isn't likely to have his University ever care about his CA Compliant firearms as long as he doesn't violate a school policy with them. Simply being charged isn't going to have a real impact on his ability to go to class in most cases.

I'm not saying he's not "with the program," I'm just saying that his risk analysis isn't sound.

-Gene

wilit
08-21-2007, 5:51 PM
Instead of turning this thread into a "What should've BWO done," how about we keep the thread on track with an update to the case? Anyone in the know what happened? When did the hearing get pushed back to and why?

shark92651
08-21-2007, 7:35 PM
I would love to hear an update too, as long as it does not compromise his case or anything like that. I think an update on at least what happened with the hearing date and any new news or new date would also go a long way towards helping to kick the donations back into gear as well.

artherd
08-21-2007, 9:36 PM
can you blame him for not wanting to lose the degree he worked hard for? especially given what happened to BWO?:(

Perhaps he should stop dating women, incase one of them cries false rape and gets him expelled too?

Every time someone does something against their nature "So they don't loose their xxx" they die a little inside.

I'm not saying it isn't smart risk management, I'm saying that it's sad some feel they need to do it. Not exactly a position of power.

artherd
08-21-2007, 9:39 PM
I'll bet one of these days BWO will be married, maybe even have a couple of kids, and he'll probably be a bit more risk-averse than he is now as a single guy, Army Reservist, and attending a local jr. college.
I hope not, do you have any idea how easy it is to control a "risk adverse" person?

69Mach1
08-21-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm sure that when there's an important update, and they all are, they'll let us know. They always have. While you're waiting, donate to the defense fund:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=65673

VeryCoolCat
08-22-2007, 7:29 AM
If I were to get arrested now with $100k bail. Even with a bail officer. $10k is too much money for me and I would probably end up staying in jail.

I would lose my job, lose pretty much any shot I have at getting a job due to a large period being out of a job and when they call my previous job for a reference. They'd let them know why I was let go.

I wouldn't be able to pay rent on my apt. If I sold all the stuff in my apt. Maybe I could get $350.

Multiple Payments would lapse including my credit card.

BWO knows what hes doing. He will probably have lawsuits against the school/police dept for multiple reasons and might receive monetary compensation.

Rhys898
08-22-2007, 5:27 PM
If your prior employer told your prospective employer why you were let go you would have a VERY actionable civil suit to file. By California law a prior employer can only state whether or not they would hire you back. They say anything negative beyond "no we would not re-employ him/her" they open themselves up to a huge liability.

Jer

xdimitrix
08-22-2007, 6:34 PM
The ridiculous thing about all this is, if we assume the charged eventually will get dropped, nothing has changed. He/you/I could get arrested a week later for basically the same "crime," go thru the same bs, have to shell out thousands in lawyer fees, to just repeat the cycle.
Since no court decision is ever written, nothing beneficial comes out of these arrests. The system is free to legally bankrupt law abiding citizens.

fairfaxjim
08-22-2007, 9:14 PM
A couple of points of clarification. I'm not aware of BWO's TRO status, but that's not likely to happen to most people. BWO was politically active on campus and (I have no inside info) but I expect that there is more nastiness to the political angle that generated this attention for BWO. Roo isn't likely to have his University ever care about his CA Compliant firearms as long as he doesn't violate a school policy with them. Simply being charged isn't going to have a real impact on his ability to go to class in most cases.

I'm not saying he's not "with the program," I'm just saying that his risk analysis isn't sound.

-Gene

The only real extenuating circumstance in BWO's case that I have been able to find is that he was both politically active on campus - not in a threatening way to the school administration, but simply an elected student leader, and that the existance of his pro gun MySpace files was reported to the school's administrators directly following the VA Tech shootings. The well known result is totally the result of fear of those administrators to find themselves in the same position as VA Tech, coupled with the zeal of local LE to "be part of the solution." Never underestimate the damage that can be brought by an insignificant government official in fear of their job!

This country has been continually whipped into a state of fear - fear on anything and everything - by a media run amok and the screechings of small minded politicians. And of course most of the population is content to believe everything and anything that comes out of their interstellar connected high definition television.

hoffmang
08-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Who reported BWO and why?

When you think about the answers to those questions, you'll get what I'm getting at.

Let me be VERY clear. BWO had every right to speak on campus and ruffle the feathers that reading between the lines I expect he ruffled. Those folks may suffer some liability at the end of the day.

My point though is that the politically inactive on campus have little to fear from posting innocuous range photos on their myspace page.

Some of BWO's photos - not so innocuous.

-Gene

xrMike
08-23-2007, 9:04 AM
If your prior employer told your prospective employer why you were let go you would have a VERY actionable civil suit to file. By California law a prior employer can only state whether or not they would hire you back. They say anything negative beyond "no we would not re-employ him/her" they open themselves up to a huge liability.Just a couple comments on that...

While what you say may be true, as a prospective employee, you will never know what happened.

No prospective employer is going to ever tell you to your face that a prior employer said you were a putz.

All you're ever going to hear is: "I'm sorry, that position has been filled."

VeryCoolCat
08-23-2007, 10:13 AM
He prolly anon reported himself, so he can sue the school later :p

wilit
09-06-2007, 9:06 PM
Okay, I just searched all the BWO threads and there's still no update!!! When did the hearing date get moved to since the Aug. 17 one was postponed.

Liberty1
09-11-2007, 11:21 AM
The latest:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=748781#post748781

Quake0
09-23-2008, 5:26 PM
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein

Thank you Matt for defending the Constitution.

RANGER295
10-03-2008, 7:15 AM
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein

Thank you Matt for defending the Constitution.

Dude you scared me… I thought BWO was in trouble again. I followed a couple links in previous posts and all of them had mid September dates. I was asking myself how I had missed this. Then I saw that they were September 2007. A year ago.

Anyway yeah thanks Matt…

AJAX22
10-03-2008, 7:20 AM
lol,

I thought the same thing Ranger...

Have they given you your guns back yet Matt?