PDA

View Full Version : The NRA should bridge the gap with an outreach program

Hans Gruber
12-22-2012, 10:56 PM
In my opinion, the NRA should start an awareness campaign to reach out to gun owners who may have family members or other close personal relations with a history of or are symptomatic of certain qualifying mental illnesses.

The program should include point-of-sale literature, online videos and television commercials related to the following:

1. How to identify symptoms of potential developing mental health problems.
2. How to secure your firearms while minimally impacting the self defense readiness for approved users.
3. How to handle the possible inter-personal discourse should issues arrise.
4. Where you can turn for help with all of the above. A new toll free number could be set up with the aid of NSSF and/or other stake holding organizations.

It's easy to point the finger and say that we should re-open the loony bins and start pitching people in. The current proposal is obviously not mollifying anyone on the other side of the issue. Blaming video games and movies is simply passing the buck from 2A to 1A and ends in stalemate.

Right now I feel like the NRA may be missing an opportunity to lead by example and offer a real solution that could possibly help actually save lives without getting anybody's rights trampled.

Thoughts?

~Jack

Werewolf1021
12-22-2012, 11:07 PM
I like this idea. It's not a law and will give gun owners options.

nothinghere2c
12-22-2012, 11:09 PM
i agree

we need more education options for firearm ownership.

elSquid
12-22-2012, 11:28 PM
It's easy to point the finger and say that we should re-open the loony bins and start pitching people in. The current proposal is obviously not mollifying anyone on the other side of the issue. Blaming video games and movies is simply passing the buck from 2A to 1A and ends in stalemate.

That's kind of the point though; the goal is not to engage the public in a clear and rational debate. The goal is to avoid antigun legislation being enacted, and by muddying the waters with multiple topics that goal can be achieved.

The NRA has made a statement - which is what apparently what the media public demanded - and now lets see if this will fade from the news. If public/media pressure evaporates, then the NRA wins.

-- Michael

DannyInSoCal
12-22-2012, 11:33 PM
That's kind of the point though; the goal is not to engage the public in a clear and rational debate. The goal is to avoid antigun legislation being enacted, and by muddying the waters with multiple topics that goal can be achieved.

The NRA has made a statement - which is what apparently what the media public demanded - and now lets see if this will fade from the news. If public/media pressure evaporates, then the NRA wins.

-- Michael

Being "rational, fair, and balanced" doesn't accomplish crap in today's society.

A few multi-million dollar class action lawsuits on behalf of the victims families -

Filed against the political hacks who made it illegal for anyone to protect and defend the victims -

Is the only thing that will get their attention.

The rest is just meaningless do-gooder bullcrap.

You don't win a war with the steak -

You win the war with the sizzle....

Baja Daze
12-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Being "rational, fair, and balanced" doesn't accomplish crap in today's society.

A few multi-million dollar class action lawsuits on behalf of the victims families -

Filed against the political hacks who made it illegal for anyone to protect and defend the victims -

Is the only thing that will get their attention.

The rest is just meaningless do-gooder bullcrap.

You don't win a war with the steak -

You win the war with the sizzle....
EXCELLENT!! How about some massive litigation agains the Feds for the GFSZ law, which subsequently turned schools into "victim disarmament zones", needlessly endangering kindergarten children, which directly led to their murder and denied adult citizens their Constitutional RKBA which contributed to the death of said children. Not to mention that the GFSZ law was already ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS the first time around and version 2.0 has yet to be tested.

Hans Gruber
12-23-2012, 7:07 AM
I renamed the thread to something a bit more specific to the subject.

mag360
12-23-2012, 11:37 AM
*we are* the outreach program. no newbie is going to tune in to NRA announcements.

What would bring newcomers in is if we volunteered free "try out a bunch of different guns and have a quick seminar on the differences" type of day. THE MOST prohibitive thing for a new shooter is "what gun do I want and it costs how much???? Just to try them out?!?!"

Hans Gruber
12-23-2012, 12:25 PM
*we are* the outreach program. no newbie is going to tune in to NRA announcements.

What would bring newcomers in is if we volunteered free "try out a bunch of different guns and have a quick seminar on the differences" type of day. THE MOST prohibitive thing for a new shooter is "what gun do I want and it costs how much???? Just to try them out?!?!"

Hi Mag,

I don't think that you read any part of my original post past the subject. I'm writing about reaching out to existing members who may have close personal relations with individuals who may have mental issues and assisting them.

Please re-read my original post.

Thanks,

~Jack