PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Wait a sec, what about that long gun registration that was supposed to happen?

stilly
12-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Is that still looming or have we fought that off yet? Is something being done?

mosinnagantm9130
12-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Still looming as far as I'm aware.

unusedusername
12-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Takes effect Jan of 2014, unless a court case changes it.

Sakiri
12-23-2012, 1:04 AM
The government just loves giving itself useless, ineffective paperwork to deal with, doesn't it?

SMR510
12-23-2012, 1:10 AM
The government just loves giving itself useless, ineffective paperwork to deal with, doesn't it?

I think its more about spending money they dont have.

monk
12-23-2012, 1:43 AM
I think its more about spending money they dont have.

They don't have it yet. Remember, the government can now legally plunder the DROS war chest for "firearm enforcement."

Mendo223
12-23-2012, 2:05 AM
so im confused...my ar15s are currently not registered? even though i went through DROS and everything.....

Wolverine
12-23-2012, 2:38 AM
so im confused...my ar15s are currently not registered? even though i went through DROS and everything.....

Not registered (unless a real Registered Assault Weapon). Presently, when a DROS for rifles is completed, the DOJ is not informed about what brand, type or serial numbers are being transferred. Simply that so many rifles were transferred to so-and-so. I believe (but don't know) even that minimal info is not retained by the DOJ.

Beginning in January 1, 2014, when rifles are DROSed the DOJ will begin keeping a registration database including make, model, serial number, buyers data, etc. like they currently do for handguns.

jeffrice6
12-23-2012, 2:39 AM

Not legitimately, but I'd bet Feinstein's life that our long gun records are on file somewhere.

CaliforniaLiberal
12-23-2012, 3:28 AM

There is no requirement for gun registration in California.

There is quasi-semi-sorta registration in that records are kept of your handgun purchases, including make and serial number, but no one can demand proof of registration. There are ways that you may have a perfectly legal handgun in your possession that the DOJ has no records on, like if you bought it long ago.

Until January 2014 there is no record kept of your long guns. After that make and serial number records will be kept, but still, no one can demand proof of "Registration."

Of course DOJ is happy for you to tell them all about your guns, they'll keep all that make and serial number info on file for all of time if you want them to.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs

#25 - How do I know if my firearms need to be registered?

There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers. However, you may submit a Firearm Ownership Record to the DOJ for any firearm you own. Having a Firearm Ownership Record on file with the DOJ may help in the return of your firearm if it is lost or stolen. With very few and specific exceptions, all firearm transactions must be conducted through a firearms dealer.

Also, there are a couple of misdemeanors that are enhanced to felonies if the DOJ has no record of the handgun found in your possession when you commit the crime.

12025 - Carrying Concealed, 12031 - Carrying Loaded

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/4/2/1/2/s12025

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/4/2/1/2/s12031

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California

While there is no requirement for California residents to register previously owned handguns or firearms with law enforcement, §12025 and §12031 enhance several misdemeanor offenses to felonies if the handgun is not on file in the Department of Justice’s Automated Firearms System.

California is a very special place indeed. The ocean, the mountains, the gun laws....