PDA

View Full Version : RAW proof

crowbar1
12-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Question guys,
Lets say that someone has a RAW in this state.

Lets say that same someone lost, misplaced, or accidentally shredded their file that had copies of the registration form/certified mail receipt. (Whoops)

What should that person do to prove their firearm is a RAW?

chillincody
12-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Im sure its on file with the doj get a replacement RAW paperwork

crowbar1
12-22-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm sure it is too. But does the DOJ have any desire to help, and worse, will giving them my info send Johnny Lawman to my door?

G-forceJunkie
12-22-2012, 10:38 PM
yes, you can get a copy of your registration. I forget the name of the lady that runs the dept, but It has been posted here before.

bwiese
12-22-2012, 10:39 PM
There is no crime to possess a RAW.

Nobody will come to your door, since it's legal.

(I'm puzzled why one would think this?)

If you are confident your gun is a true RAW (i.e, you specially registered it in 1989-1990 for Roberti-Ross or 2000 - and not just 4473 paperwork from FFL) then you should have no fear of contacting DOJ Firearms Registration and Permits unit and request a copy of your AW registration. The request will likely be required to be notarized.

If you are paranoid, you can request an AFS Firearms Record. This will return any voluntaryily-reg'd gun, all DROSed handguns, and any RAWs.

If your RAW doesn't show up there, please contact CGF before you re-contact DOJ about your RAWs so apporppriate measures can be taken.

Also *IF* you have handguns not showing up that you KNOW were 'papered' because you bought them from a CA FFL or PPT'd them thru a CA FFL (or other guns you vol reg'd) please let us at CGF know as well.

crowbar1
12-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Thank you for the reply. To answer the "coming to my door" concern, I was/am worried that if (after they had all my info), they could not, or did not want to find my registration. They then say "so, Mr xxx, your calling us and telling us you have a AW without proof it's legal...

Merovign
12-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Thank you for the reply. To answer the "coming to my door" concern, I was/am worried that if (after they had all my info), they could not, or did not want to find my registration. They then say "so, Mr xxx, your calling us and telling us you have a AW without proof it's legal...

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/AFSPrivateCitizen.pdf

That's what the AFS form is for. It just asks for what info they have, without giving them any information.

The information is linked to your driver's license, so you need to be sure you can get mail at your driver's license address. If you've changed your address, your registration info "follows" your DMV address.

So you don't have to ask about anything specific, you're just saying "do you have registration information on me, and if so what is it?"

crowbar1
12-23-2012, 12:09 PM
You guys have been very, very helpful!

I bid a hearty thank you...

crowbar1
12-23-2012, 12:10 PM
You guys have been very, very helpful!

I bid a hearty thank you...

bohoki
12-23-2012, 5:16 PM
yea when i registered my gunz they sent me back a confirmation but they called my mak-90

amk-90 sporter

so i was freakin out and called them and they said it was a typo on the letter and sent me another

Alan Block
12-23-2012, 6:57 PM
Any LEO can look up the RAW on his in-car computer. Having the paperwork is peace of mind but not required.