PDA

View Full Version : Rookie San Francisco cop was explaining gun safety, when he shot self

Steyr_223
08-15-2007, 7:44 AM
Wow just wow..RIP again.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/15/BA9ERIE64.DTL

Rookie cop who killed himself removed clip, left bullet in chamber

Jaxon Van Derbeken,John Coté, Chronicle Staff Writers

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The San Francisco rookie police officer who accidentally shot himself to death fired his weapon while displaying for a female friend how officers are taught to avoid having their guns used against them, law enforcement authorities said Tuesday.

The incident happened at 1:40 a.m. Saturday during a gathering of as many as 15 people at the San Mateo apartment of the 23-year-old officer, James Gustafson Jr.

According to those familiar with the incident, Gustafson was showing his Police Department-issued semiautomatic pistol after removing the clip that stores the rounds. He explained that there are ways an officer can disable a weapon in close proximity to keep it from being fired.

It apparently was part of a demonstration of the department's "weapons retention" procedures. However, there was still a bullet in the chamber.

Gustafson pointed the weapon at his neck and pulled the trigger, shooting himself, according to authorities.

San Francisco Police Department policy is never to point a gun at a target that an officer does not intend to shoot, authorities said.

San Mateo police Capt. Kevin Raffaelli, whose agency is leading the investigation of the incident, declined to comment Tuesday other than to say that police do not believe other officers were present at the time of the shooting.

Some of those at the party apparently were drinking, authorities said. Toxicology results from Gustafson's autopsy will not be available for several weeks.

Gustafson graduated from the San Francisco Police Academy in January and had just finished a six-month stint in the Mission District under a field training officer. He had recently been assigned to the department's Central Station.

Steyr_223
08-15-2007, 7:45 AM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/comments/view?f=/c/a/2007/08/15/BA9ERIE64.DTL

Prc329
08-15-2007, 7:49 AM
Man that sucks.

He violated rule number 1. Always treat a gun as if it is loaded. I know personally I never handle any of my guns without checking the chamber first, even if no magazine is in the weapon.

tay
08-15-2007, 7:52 AM
SFPD are issued SIG P226.

He forgot the round in the chamber.

How sad.

Fate
08-15-2007, 8:08 AM
Stupid kills.

mecam
08-15-2007, 8:19 AM
What happened to the (mag out, slide back & lock, check chamber visually and feel with finger) safety procedure? And never ever point a gun at anyone you do not intend to shoot even if the gun was unloaded. Fortunately he didn't shoot anybody else, but unfortunately he paid the ultimate prize.

WokMaster1
08-15-2007, 8:20 AM
SFPD are issued SIG P226.

He forgot the round in the chamber.

How sad.

Really? I've always thought they issue Berettas .40 cal.

This is such a sad story. He definitely broke Rule #1. I just don't understand why there is a need to pull the trigger before checking the chamber & pointing it at himself.:(

MudCamper
08-15-2007, 8:37 AM
He violated ALL the rules. Plus they were drinking... And, has anyone here ever pointed a firearm at themselves, or anyone else, loaded or not, let alone then pulling the damn trigger. Unbelievable.

five.five-six
08-15-2007, 8:42 AM
I am thinking that it may now be time for SF to ban cops from having guns... what is the point of guns in the hands of the police. they have already taken them from the people and the campus police. so since the the criminals are banned from owning guns..and cops keep shooting themselvs.. give them sling shots billi clubs... life will be fabulous

bwiese
08-15-2007, 8:44 AM
As I said before, occasionally Mr. Darwin offers spontaneous IQ tests. Some people fail.

At least he didn't have a chance to breed (one would suppose).

tay
08-15-2007, 8:51 AM
Reminds me of the famous DEA agent and his Glock.

"I am the only one PROFESSIONALLY enough who can carry the Glock 40...BANG!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeGD7r6s-zU

joel1316
08-15-2007, 8:53 AM
Even after removing the magazine and checking the chamber, there is no way I would still point a gun at a person or myself..... Sad....

Glock22Fan
08-15-2007, 8:53 AM
As I said before, occasionally Mr. Darwin offers spontaneous IQ tests. Some people fail.

+1, but sadly it is one more statistic for the anti-gunners; "Guns aren't safe - even experienced police officers get killed with their own weapon."

LAK Supply
08-15-2007, 9:09 AM
That's ok.... the anti-gunners are going to use what they can when they can no matter what we do, and there is violence everywhere. It's just the nature of some people, and nothing anybody can ban, make into law, or otherwise do will change that. Those that understand this will understand it; those that don't never will anyway.

Bill is right here..... I'm not sure what somebody would expect when they point a gun at their own neck and squeeze the trigger...

At nearly 2am I'm sure there were no alcohol or drugs involved either..... :rolleyes: At least the poor chump got to be a one of the special people in Utopia before he left....

bruss01
08-15-2007, 9:10 AM
Not saying I'm above making an equally stupid mistake someday, but stupid mistakes like this are a big reason why we now have a magazine disconnect safety requirement, banishing a whole bevy of good new handguns from ever making the approved list in CA.

megavolt121
08-15-2007, 9:21 AM

You got it wrong, its GLOCK FOH-TEE

SuperSet
08-15-2007, 9:25 AM

Ha, well said!

Can'thavenuthingood
08-15-2007, 10:13 AM
He was killed in his home with his gun?

How does this get charted in the statistics?

Another homeowner killed by his own gun?

Vick

guns_and_labs
08-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Not saying I'm above making an equally stupid mistake someday, but stupid mistakes like this are a big reason why we now have a magazine disconnect safety requirement, banishing a whole bevy of good new handguns from ever making the approved list in CA.

I was wondering if he was trying to demonstrate the mag safety feature, but with a gun that didn't have one.

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-15-2007, 10:34 AM
That's what toy guns are for.

Can't believe he went through the hiring process, the academy, and then to end it all like that. Sheesh.

doctor_vals
08-15-2007, 10:59 AM
+1, but sadly it is one more statistic for the anti-gunners; "Guns aren't safe - even experienced police officers get killed with their own weapon."

1.NO, God damn it – Guns themselves are completely safe – stupid and mentally ill people do something to them, and they become unsafe.
2. He wasn’t experience at all – just rookie after academy. So he wear uniform just a few month.

Perhaps if LEO's were REQUIRED to use only guns that passed the current CA safety standards for handguns (i.e., including magazine disconnect safety) this officer would still be alive today.

I think on very beginning after academy for first 1-3 years LEO should not care a gun at all or at least BHP ( so, if remove mag – they will not shoot themselves or each other), and after experience with BHP and additional training with different type of gun – they can obtain to care Glock or Beretta.

PIRATE14
08-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Well......AD do happen....so never point a gun at anything that you don't want to kill or destroy........

Plus add in Alcohol and it's not very good......if you touch a gun...don't touch alcohol.........

turinreza
08-15-2007, 11:32 AM

maybe that chick was just too hot....
and he just forgot..

Can'thavenuthingood
08-15-2007, 11:37 AM
maybe that chick was just too hot....

Its mind control.
I've run into this type of women before.
They make you do things you don't want to but cannot resist.
They make you stay out late on a work night, write bad checks and leave town for an extended period.
Then they leave you behind like yesterdays fishwrap.

Its all about control,

Vick

30Cal
08-15-2007, 11:38 AM
The San Francisco rookie police officer who negligently shot himself to death fired his weapon while displaying for a female friend how officers are taught to avoid having their guns used against them, law enforcement authorities said Tuesday.

Fixed.

Clodbuster
08-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Don't forget about the other famous agent who is the only one professional enought to carry an M4 assault rifle :iggy:

Clod

Steyr_223
08-15-2007, 11:59 AM
"..it does not pay to be drunk and horny." -Sublime

ocabj
08-15-2007, 11:59 AM
http://www.ocabj.net/images/fail_baby.jpg

Clodbuster
08-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Experienced enough to carry one in public to serve and protect... That's a step above Joe Calgunner in the government's eye.

Clod

2. He wasn’t experience at all – just rookie after academy. So he wear uniform just a few month.

I think on very beginning after academy for first 1-3 years LEO should not care a gun at all or at least BHP ( so, if remove mag – they will not shoot themselves or each other), and after experience with BHP and additional training with different type of gun – they can obtain to care Glock or Beretta.

AJAX22
08-15-2007, 12:02 PM

While sad... its not necicarily a bad thing.

I personally think they should stop making things 'safe'

There'd be a whole lot less stupid in the world.

Harbinger
08-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Man that sucks.

He violated rule number 1. Always treat a gun as if it is loaded. I know personally I never handle any of my guns without checking the chamber first, even if no magazine is in the weapon.

This bears repeating!! Before considering a weapon safe to disassemble or dry fire, VISUALLY or PHYSICALLY CHECK the CHAMBER. Cycling the slide or charging handle MAY NOT CLEAR THE CHAMBER if a round is being stubborn.

Mike

PIRATE14
08-15-2007, 12:31 PM
True....***** and alcohol does cloud a mans judgement.........:chris:

doctor_vals
08-15-2007, 1:06 PM
Experienced enough to carry one in public to serve and protect... That's a step above Joe Calgunner in the government's eye.

Clod

Clod, as it happen - you maybe agree with me - he wasn't experience enough to care a gun.
It is why government should not allow for at least 1 year hold a gun to PA alumni and than give them for 1- 2 years most safety gun as possible. And after that allow to be a real LEO.

///D
08-15-2007, 2:30 PM
Even after removing the magazine and checking the chamber, there is no way I would still point a gun at a person or myself..... Sad....

Agreed..

Hell wether no mag, slide locked back, disassembled, etc....there should be no reason at all why you'd need to point it at anyone or self.

Pretty sad.

KenpoProfessor
08-15-2007, 2:45 PM
What does anyone really expect living in SF where children are not raised to safely handle firearms? I wished I could be sympathetic, but I can't, and I think he should be given the biggest medal of the Darwin Awards, posthumously of course.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Glock22Fan
08-15-2007, 3:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock22Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Vals
1.NO, God damn it – Guns themselves are completely safe – stupid and mentally ill people do something to them, and they become unsafe.

Hey, I didn't say that guns aren't safe, nor do I think that he was an experienced cop. However, we know how idiots twist these things to suit themselves. Some time down the road, Rosie O'Donnell, or Chuck Schumer, or someone will refer to this incident and a bunch of others and say something like that. Nobody listening will make the points that you, correctly, make. That's why I put it in quotes. It isn't my viewpoint. Understand? God Damn it?

Wulf
08-15-2007, 3:31 PM
Part of the problem is is that POST gives this guys, what 30 hours of classroom and rang instruction w/ firearms, then the get sworn in and suddenly they're defacto experts on firearms....forever and ever amen. The departments' reinforce that notion, friends and family reinforce that notion, society reinforces it. Fact of the matter is is that the POST training is a very MINIMUM standard. From what I've heard about the details of the training its decidedly low speed relative to the better civilian training outfits.

For sure this guy was stupid and killed himself, but when you're talking about the actions of a rookie, you've got question the system that produced him, approved of his competency and attitude, and left him with the impression that he knew the subject matter well enough to demonstrate it safely.

ViPER395
08-15-2007, 4:35 PM
San Francisco should move to ban handguns from cops too.

M. Sage
08-15-2007, 4:46 PM
playing russian roulette with an automatic?

That would be Polish Roulette. On the surface, the odds are better. Revolvers hold 6 (traditionally, could be as many as 8, though). Semi-autos can hold 15+. 1/15 is better than 1/6, right? :p

Darwin nomination anyone?

jkasandiego
08-15-2007, 4:55 PM
"empty gun kills a man" that so sad.Alcohol and firearms don't mix. RIP.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
08-15-2007, 7:08 PM
I hate to say it, but this gives the California law makers that much more justification requiring gun manufacturers to have a mag disconnect safety to submit a new firearm design for approval.

On the other hand this does show how rediculous a loaded chamber indicator really is. Do you think if the pistol had a loaded chamber indicator he would have stopped to look at it? LOL

Centurion_D
08-15-2007, 7:16 PM
I don't know about anyone in here but regardless I would NOT be pointing a pistol or any other firearm for that matter directly at myself and pulling the trigger even if I knew for sure the thing wasn't loaded!

Harbinger
08-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I hate to say it, but this gives the California law makers that much more justification requiring gun manufacturers to have a mag disconnect safety to submit a new firearm design for approval.

On the other hand this does show how rediculous a loaded chamber indicator really is. Do you think if the pistol had a loaded chamber indicator he would have stopped to look at it? LOL

I have a buddy who smeared that in my face.

"Dude, THAT'S why I got an XD. I'd know if there was a round in the chamber and it wouldn't have fired without the mag!!!"

I told him he needed to re-visit his logic, on that one.

Mike

kap
08-16-2007, 12:48 PM
I have a buddy who smeared that in my face.

"Dude, THAT'S why I got an XD. I'd know if there was a round in the chamber and it wouldn't have fired without the mag!!!"

I told him he needed to re-visit his logic, on that one.

Mike

Yeah, you should never rely on a safety to keep you safe.

My brother in law was explaining to me why the 1911 was a great gun one day a long time ago. He showed me all the safeties and said it would not shoot unless they were all disengaged. He disengaged the manual slide safety, racked the slide to load a round into the chamber and held the gun loosely by the bottom of the grip so as to not engage the grip safety. He then pointed the gun in a safe direction at range berm. He then lightly pressed the trigger.

BANG!

The gun went off without the grip safety engaged, cartwheeling out of his loose grip and landed harmlessly on the ground. Needless to say he was confused and the gun was going to the armorer immediately to fix the safety. What was important was that no one was hurt because he followed the basic rules of gun handling by pointing the gun in a safe direction. Even though the grip safety was not engaged he still treated the gun as though it would fire.

drclark
08-16-2007, 12:50 PM
I just do not understand the behavior that lead to this "accident".

I almost cringe everytime I have to pull the trigger to field strip my XD AFTER checking the chamber at least 3 times and having it pointed in a safe direction. There are plenty of times when I'm about to pull trigger and I stop and have to check it one more time to make sure the bullet-fairy didn't leave something in my chamber. I also do not feel all that comfortable looking down the muzzle end of a dis-assembled rifle/pistol barrel during cleaning, etc. If at all possible I look down the barrel from the chamber end.

It seems that I have people like this officer to thank for re-inforcing my paranoia-like dedication to the 4 rules. I sincerly hope that I never become comfortable enough when handling firearms that I start ignoring any of the 4 rules.

drc

homerm14
08-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Part of the problem is is that POST gives this guys, what 30 hours of classroom and rang instruction w/ firearms, then the get sworn in and suddenly they're defacto experts on firearms....forever and ever amen. The departments' reinforce that notion, friends and family reinforce that notion, society reinforces it. Fact of the matter is is that the POST training is a very MINIMUM standard. From what I've heard about the details of the training its decidedly low speed relative to the better civilian training outfits.

For sure this guy was stupid and killed himself, but when you're talking about the actions of a rookie, you've got question the system that produced him, approved of his competency and attitude, and left him with the impression that he knew the subject matter well enough to demonstrate it safely.

San Fransisco gives recruits one hell of a lot more than 30 hrs training. That includes a lot of tactical live fire and simunitions. The fact that the rookie screwed up has nothing to do with the training he got. If you want to blame something how bout alcohol and stupidity.

MidnightSon117
08-16-2007, 1:51 PM
http://www.ocabj.net/images/fail_baby.jpg

:D:D:D

SJshooter
08-19-2007, 5:23 PM
I only just heard about this story today, and on one hand I am saddened, because this is a tragic accident... but on the other hand: WHAT A FREAK-IN DUMBASS. Not to denegrate a fallen cop (although some will say he was not yet a cop), because I think the police are heroes --- but this guy didn't just break one rule, he broke a ton of them.

First of all, he's whipping out his gun at a party where people are drinking booze (and I will bet money that toxicology reports will show he was drinking at the party he hosted, too). Next, he's doing it to impress a girl. Then he doesn't safely clear his own weapon. He doesn't treat the gun as though it is loaded. Then he points the gun at something he would, in fact, mind if there were holes in. Then he puts his finger on the trigger without a target in sight... and then he pulls the trigger. Count 'em up - that wasn't just the first rule he broke.

It is harsh, but I agree with whoever made the Darwin comments a few pages back. What an idiot.

CaliTheKid
08-19-2007, 6:39 PM
This is very very sad. I truly feel for his family, friends, academy mates and department.

I know the rush of graduating an academy and the zeal one gets to show all of your friends how much you have learned and wanting try to share your experiences with them.

It is a shame in the midst of his pride and excitement his training failed him so utterly. I have no doubt that as he removed the gun from his holster the voice we all have told him what he was doing was wrong but the invincibility he felt from surviving a process that many did not gave him a false sense of bravado and he paid the ultimate price for it.

This event is nothing short of a tragedy and I am sincerely disappointed how much venom and lack of basic human compassion some members have towards something that is a horror that I hope none here has to have a love one fall victim to. We are human and thus not perfect beings. Even the king of gun kings Col. Jeff Cooper has had an AD where he almost shot a reporter in his cabin and I don’t see people pulling him through the mud over it. Furthermore I have no doubt everyone here at one time or another has had a firearms related moment they’d rather not talk about.

It seems that many are just looking for another reason to stick it to law enforcement.

And more and more this forum has become so anti-law enforcement that is makes it an extremely uncomfortable for many LEO’s who post here to be members. I have been a part of this forum for two years and full understand the frustration that comes with the gun laws in California. I would sincerely ask that we remember that it is the elected official’s who pass the laws and they were put in office by the votes of the residents of this state. Law enforcement has nothing to do with any of this --- including the fact that this is a “may issue” state.

I am done but will leave you with the following:

Firearms are a sport of gentleman and I hope that some of the values and the class that come with this sport are not forgotten here.

--Cali out.

Stanze
08-19-2007, 6:55 PM
I knew this bully in high school. He became a cop and would direct traffic by screaming at people and walk around with his gun and badge in plain view while he was off-duty to show people what a big badass he thought he was.

Rookies.:rolleyes:

Bizcuits
08-19-2007, 7:38 PM
San Francisco Police Department policy is never to point a gun at a target that an officer does not intend to shoot, authorities said.

Does this mean he meant to shoot himself? Chalk another one up to suicide.

SJshooter
08-20-2007, 7:51 AM
I have no doubt that as he removed the gun from his holster the voice we all have told him what he was doing was wrong...

It was 1:40am at a booze party he was hosting (and probably drinking at) and by all accounts he got out the gun to impress a girl. I think you are giving this guy too much credit. He was showing off, and didn't just forget his training, he abandoned it.

simonov
08-20-2007, 8:33 AM
He was killed in his home with his gun?

How does this get charted in the statistics?

Accidental firearms related death. The Centers for Disease Control track these annually. It's an interesting statistic. Without googling, guess how many Americans die every year from firearms accidents.

Between 600-900 people, in a country of 200 million firearms in the hands of 40-50 million private owners. That's a pretty good stat (I bet you thought the number was higher), and not one the anti-rights people like to publicize.

1911_sfca
08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Well this sad incident just goes to show that the following lemma is as true now as ever:

Guns, alcohol, and women do not mix well. When you have two, someone goes to jail, and with all three, someone dies.

Expect more anti-gun laws coming out of this.

ivanimal
08-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Sad indeed, like my dad always said its the unloaded ones that kill ya.

xrMike
08-20-2007, 1:43 PM
Sad indeed, like my dad always said its the unloaded ones that kill ya.That's very profound, seriously, and I've never heard it before. I gotta remember that one.

CalNRA
08-20-2007, 5:05 PM
sad situation all around.

the one thing I dislike about Glocks, and for that matter the rest of the Glock-type DAs is the fact that you have to pull the trigger to disassemble. I know because I have a Glock and I hate disassembling that thing.

In a pistol like a 1911, it's impossible to AD when disassembling because you pull the slide stop out and the whole slide slides forward and walla, no pressure to the chamber.

with a Glock or XD the system plain sucks. I understand that it's a necessary evil for an improved trigger feel and all.

While no AD is really an AD, just from plain statistical point of view, a gun that requires a pull of the trigger to be taken apart will be infinitely more likely to see an ND than one that doesn't.

I'm putting my flame suit on. I have nothing against Glocks, and just think, one of the safest platforms in the world is now unsafe according to the CA DOJ. mean while, the Ruger 22 I have must have its trigger pulled for a take-down. But hey, it's got a mag-disconnect so it must be safer, no?:rolleyes:

M. Sage
08-20-2007, 5:09 PM
Uhh, he wasn't trying to field strip it, he was showing off "retention" techniques for a hoochie.

I didn't really see anybody cop-bashing here. It's just that what the guy did was three kinds of stupid... It's not mean if it's true.

CalNRA
08-20-2007, 5:54 PM
Uhh, he wasn't trying to field strip it, he was showing off "retention" techniques for a hoochie.

it was an off-topic comment. :D

I'll refrain from distracting from the main conversation from here on.

M. Sage
08-20-2007, 5:56 PM
I kinda wondered where that came from. It was really from left field...

Pvt. Cowboy
08-20-2007, 6:47 PM
New Sheriff's Deputy in Moreno Valley some 10 years ago took his pals up to a remote county road to impress them with his new duty sidearm.

Stepped right out of the car, racked the slide with both elbows out to the side like a chollo, finger on trigger, and ga-bloomed a .40 S&W down his arm entering at the wrist and exiting through his left elbow.

Barely made it to the hospital, I'm told, and his forearm ended up being half the mass it was before from muscle loss. Plastic elbow pinned in place permanently. Can't be a sheriff in that condition, so they released him from service.

chickenfried
08-20-2007, 6:56 PM
Actually it's the opposite. Many poster are being nicer just because he was a cop. Usually you'd see a lot more what a dumbass comments.

I didn't really see anybody cop-bashing here.

It seems that many are just looking for another reason to stick it to law enforcement.

CalNRA
08-20-2007, 7:00 PM
Actually it's the opposite. Many poster are being nicer just because he was a cop. Usually you'd see a lot more what a dumbass comments.

agreed.

if it was just Joe Sixpack who shot himself while demonstrating his retention-skills, I expect at least 15 pages of "those people should not be allowed to own guns and stay in ______ where they belong"

///D
08-20-2007, 7:02 PM
I knew this bully in high school. He became a cop and would direct traffic by screaming at people and walk around with his gun and badge in plain view while he was off-duty to show people what a big badass he thought he was.

Rookies.:rolleyes:

:confused: If this is true...then I'm not surprised.

triggerhappy
08-21-2007, 7:03 AM
THis is why I have always firmly believed that there should be prior military service required before one even goes to POST training. Not many grunts get this one wrong. This goes with the thread about the chick cop who needed help clearing her 870...

SJshooter
08-21-2007, 8:07 AM
I, for one, will be watching the news over the next week to see if they report Gustafson's blood alcohol level. Early reports say he was hosting a party that he hosted every week, where alcohol was regularly served, and the accident happened 20 minutes before traditional "last call" (1:40am) - anyone wanna start a pool for what his BAC will be?

Let's see... it was very late, his own home, he didn't have to drive, celebrating graduation.... my guess will be .18

galileo415
08-21-2007, 10:18 AM
That's what toy guns are for.

Can't believe he went through the hiring process, the academy, and then to end it all like that. Sheesh.

toy airsoft guns are banned in city and county of san francisco, municipal police code 602

M. Sage
08-21-2007, 5:30 PM
ROFL, that's one of the most idiotic things I've read:

SEC. 602. SALE OR POSSESSION OF SLING SHOTS OR TOYS PROJECTING MISSILES BY AIR OR GAS PROHIBITED.
It shall be unlawful for any person, except for a peace officer authorized under California Penal Code Section 12600, to buy, sell, offer or expose for sale, barter or exchange, have in his possession or use any sling shot.
It shall also be unlawful for any person to buy, sell, offer or expose for sale, barter or exchange, have in his possession or use any toy by which, whether used singly or in combination of units, missiles may be projected by force or compressed air, carbon dioxide, or any other chemical, gas, or other element, or combined thereof. Nothing in this section is intended to be inconsistent with Government Code Section 53071.5 or any successor statute regulating imitation firearms, BB guns or air rifles.
(Amended by Ord. 4782, Series of 1939, App. 1/6/48; Ord. 260-04, File No. 031932, App. 11/4/2004)

He could have used an airsoft, since he lived in San Mateo. AFAIK, they're still legal here.

I should tell my buddy at work about 602. He always lets his kids airsoft at Funston. Then again, I know someone who does that same thing, and his bro-in-law (a higher-up cop in a Bay Area dept.) gave him a night vision scope (yes, for a rifle) with an illuminator on it...

08-21-2007, 7:04 PM
Sad indeed; however it is hard for me to feel sorry for him. He brought the situation completely upon himself, and now (we) the responsible gun owners have to live with the aftermath of his stupid a** actions (inevitable new stupid and restrictive gun laws).

Forestboy
08-22-2007, 8:32 AM
Most mag disconnects don't work. If you start the trigger pull just a bit, then drop the mag the gun will fire.... Try it...

Clodbuster
08-22-2007, 8:19 PM
Toy guns are banned. But airsofts are not toy guns. They are considered look-alike firearms or imitation firearms by the Federal government.

Clod

ROFL, that's one of the most idiotic things I've read:

He could have used an airsoft, since he lived in San Mateo. AFAIK, they're still legal here.

I should tell my buddy at work about 602. He always lets his kids airsoft at Funston. Then again, I know someone who does that same thing, and his bro-in-law (a higher-up cop in a Bay Area dept.) gave him a night vision scope (yes, for a rifle) with an illuminator on it...