PDA

View Full Version : What can we do to help the political climate.

pitfighter
12-22-2012, 12:05 PM
I am a fairly long time collector.
My collection is mainly pre-1945 -
But I also have some valuable and rare, "assault weapons" from the 50's, 60's and 70's.
All registered and owned prior to 2000.

I am not a hunter, or a target shooter - I am a collector.
(This category seems to have become something akin to being a psycho, or they just fail to acknowledge it.)

Q - Why does anyone need a 30 round magazine?
A - Because this is a Mkb42 Magazine and is one the first every made, and in and of itself a rare and important piece of firearms history.

Q - Why does anyone need an assault weapon?
A - Because this is an original L1A1 - that was used in the Falklands Campaign, and is of great historical and military importance.

Q - Why does anyone need a feeding device over ten rounds?
A - Because this is an original 1939 manufactured MG34 belt, unused and in original cosmolene, it is important because it shows the vast difference in manufacturing between '39 and '45.

There are hundreds of such Q and A's - but they will all be ignored, unless someone steps forward, which right now is basically political suicide.

What can we do to help our situation?

Listening to the TV and radio, it seems they are going after pretty much everything I have.
They are welcome to buy it back from me, but at the price they would be worth when I sell them in ten years for my children's college funds.
That is a facetious comment, but you get my drift - these were bought for many reasons, their investment value is certainly one of them.

What are other collectors doing to help the scenario?
Burying them in the yard, acting like a criminal are not on my option list.
I refuse to be looked on as a criminal because of an interest in history and firearms.

It would really seem like staying silent right now, which for most morally conscientious people is the respectful thing to do - is going to lose us the right to keep many of these weapons.

Pit.

NOTABIKER
12-24-2012, 5:45 AM
send money to the NRA, turn off the TV. i did.

Eljay
12-24-2012, 12:29 PM
I think the biggest thing anybody can do is to casually talk about their interest in firearms without going on and on about it and appearing to be a gun nut - just mention you had a good day at the range, saw some deer and turkey on the drive up, too - and if they're at all interested take them shooting. The more we act like this is something to hide, the easier it is for people to say, oh, let's ban it, even if there's only a tiny chance it will help what's the downside? Nobody I know shoots. It's just a bunch of toothless rednecks.

I don't think I've turned anybody into a regular shooter, but I've switched a half dozen women from "Why would anybody want to own a gun" to "OK, that was fun". And they'll comment on the way home about how normal everybody was at the range, with much surprise.

Paulie Lugnuts
12-26-2012, 7:09 AM
Old guns are like collector cars, they need to be driven once in a while. Invite someone who's never fired a gun to the range with you. The more familiar people are with guns, the less fear they will have.
It would be nice if there was some type of collectors licence, so people like you and I could have guns in their original condition.

6mmintl
12-26-2012, 8:23 AM
Take a young adult to the range, mentor him, give him ammo and instruction, because we did not do that that past 30 years is the reason we are here.

NOTABIKER
12-26-2012, 11:19 AM
my grandsons 10 and 8 are certified gun nuts. the 10 year old wanted to shoot my friends Thompson contender 45-70 pistol. NO CAN DO. i guess my mosin m 44 carbine was not manly enough for him. i hope when they grow up they can shoot what they want.

pitfighter
12-30-2012, 9:34 AM
OK - so it is small - but something -

I signed in here, used a spare email account, lol - not paranoid at all.

and I found about a half dozen petitions that were worthy of my signature.

I recommend all other concerned gun collectors owners do the same.
It took all of five minutes, and anything that shows we have a voice is worthwhile.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions

Pit.
*I did also sign the petition for the repeal on the ban on importing kinder surprise eggs - my kids love those.

MrTokarev
12-30-2012, 5:13 PM
send money to the NRA, turn off the TV. i did.

Agreed. The NRA is the one that will take the fight to the courts.