PDA

View Full Version : Registration Now Required for CA Bill Updates?

Dutch3
12-22-2012, 6:29 AM
In past years, when subscribing for updates to bills in session, only an email address was required to receive the information.

Now it seems that one subscribing to the information must also provide a full name, address and phone number.

Building a list, anyone? :confused:

call-in
12-22-2012, 6:58 AM
can the updates be redistributed?

AyatollahGondola
12-22-2012, 7:28 AM
In past years, when subscribing for updates to bills in session, only an email address was required to receive the information.

Now it seems that one subscribing to the information must also provide a full name, address and phone number.

No. Only an email is required for subscription. Unless you're not subscribing on Leginfo.ca.gov. If you are using another org or service that is privately owned, but distributes official updates, they could ask for more info.
I don't see anywhere where anything has changed on leginfo though.

And yes; you can republish it

Dutch3
12-22-2012, 7:37 AM
No. Only an email is required for subscription. Unless you're not subscribing on Leginfo.ca.gov. If you are using another org or service that is privately owned, but distributes official updates, they could ask for more info.
I don't see anywhere where anything has changed on leginfo though.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/loginClient.xhtml?destPage=billTrackingList.xhtml

Note the "Password" field. Attempting to subscribe using only an email address does not work. Clicking the "Registration" link directs to a registration page requesting personal information. After registering, a password is sent via email which will allow login to request bill updates.

EDIT> Ah. I see I was looking at the "New" site. the "old" site is still available and does not prompt for registration.

AyatollahGondola
12-22-2012, 8:27 AM
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/loginClient.xhtml?destPage=billTrackingList.xhtml

Note the "Password" field. Attempting to subscribe using only an email address does not work. Clicking the "Registration" link directs to a registration page requesting personal information. After registering, a password is sent via email which will allow login to request bill updates.

EDIT> Ah. I see I was looking at the "New" site. the "old" site is still available and does not prompt for registration.

You can search for bills without registering, but to submit information, you must register using your name. Undernormal public records policy, it is not required that you give your name, however subscribing to an update is a bit different in that it is most likely considered a "rolling" records request, that isn't required under the PRA. It might be easily challenged, which I will check into next week, but I doubt is a clear violation of the records act, given the options you have of still obtaining the info by using the search function

AyatollahGondola
12-22-2012, 11:29 AM
It may actually be the Brown act that is applicable in this case though. But I still believe the prohibition of name requirement to attend meetings is going to carry over to the information derived from, and postings of those meetings, which is what the updates are.

OlderThanDirt
12-22-2012, 12:22 PM

Even with a name like Osama Obama, I don't have a problem giving them my name and e-mail. You can also get creative with the phone number.

wjc
12-22-2012, 5:51 PM
Why do you think email to State and Federal Legislators goes through a CGI form?

They are tracking and recording everyone that contacts them.