PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Group Eyes Allowing Guns in Schools

Darryl Licht
12-22-2012, 1:58 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/arizona-group-eyes-allowing-guns-schools-18017578

Perhaps this is a better alternative to NRA's armed guards proposal... state and local governments are strapped for cash and cannot afford additional guards or LEO's!

"It's long past time to, at the very least, allow our school faculty and staff the option to be trained and armed," the Arizona Citizens Defense League said in a statement. "Only then will they be capable of dealing with a situation like this."

...AS LONG AS FULLY QUALIFIED AND TRAINED TO DO SO!

Thoughts??

Californio
12-22-2012, 8:02 AM
I believe I read that a Utah Teacher that holds a CCW may carry in the classroom.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/arizona-group-eyes-allowing-guns-schools-18017578

Perhaps this is a better alternative to NRA's armed guards proposal... state and local governments are strapped for cash and cannot afford additional guards or LEO's!

Thoughts??

Rossi357
12-22-2012, 8:40 AM
Article on guns in schools.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/20/16042916-armed-guards-locked-entryways-cameras-schools-seek-security-after-sandy-hook?lite

therealnickb
12-22-2012, 8:50 AM
This is what I said from the get go.

1) eliminate the gun free zones

2) allow anyone that so desires to carry

Some demonstration of competence should be required, but blanket training isn't necessary. Given the small % of folks that have carry permits now, it's obvious that most take it seriously. I doubt too many went in willy nilly.

You need to get your mind right first. After you decide that you are willing to take on the responsibility of carrying be sure you are competent. If you need training get some.

It should also be done state by state. No new federal regs.

randomBytes
12-22-2012, 9:46 AM
The NRA proposal was sound.
Yes of course no one has the money to put police in all schools,
but the armed response can be anyone - suitably trained.
The key is to get people to consider the possibility.

jetoboy88
12-22-2012, 10:22 AM
This is what I said from the get go.

1) eliminate the gun free zones

2) allow anyone that so desires to carry

Some demonstration of competence should be required, but blanket training isn't necessary. Given the small % of folks that have carry permits now, it's obvious that most take it seriously. I doubt too many went in willy nilly.

You need to get your mind right first. After you decide that you are willing to take on the responsibility of carrying be sure you are competent. If you need training get some.

It should also be done state by state. No new federal regs.

That may sound appropriate to much of us, but try convincing a school board to play ball with that. People need to understand that the whole allowing CCW in school isn't just a political issue from the school's point of view, it's a liability issue. Some school boards may think it's a great idea, but may hesitate on grounds that there is too much risk of litigation if an accident were to occur. Though the very risk of it is extremely small, still no school wants to face any potential backlash from the possibility that a teacher were to leave a firearm unattended or committed a negligent discharge.

Some sort of "State" or "Federally" approved program might be the only way to get a school to play ball with this. Will it decrease the risk of accidents, probably not much in any significant terms, but they'll hope it will at least keep the ambulance chasing lawyers at bay.

therealnickb
12-23-2012, 4:53 AM
I'm not buying the "what if" law suit as a legit concern.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/03/28/virginia-tech-shooting-la_1_n_1386348

The school will get sued either way.

randian
12-23-2012, 11:58 AM

That's just another way of saying "I want to ensure it won't happen". Training requirements will most likely be used to scuttle the enterprise, that's why many of us object to them.