PDA

View Full Version : Favorite gun shop in the SD area?

robertras
12-21-2012, 6:24 PM
Hey guys my name is robert, and im a new calguns memeber. I just purchased a savage 111, and i still need to purchase a optics mount, rings, and a scope for it. I was wondering what your favorite gun shops in the SD area are so that i can go check them out and hopefully complete my rig. ps if any of you have a decent scope for sale for a good price (looking in the $200, $300 max range) feel free to pm me.

Spoilerv2
12-21-2012, 8:23 PM
Parallax tactical
Direct action solutions
Turners
Wiser owl
Discount gun mart

Revoman
12-21-2012, 8:31 PM
My go to LGS is Fine Firearms in La Mesa, off the 8 on La Mesa Blvd. It has a decent selection of guns and gun related items, a friendly staff and prices don't seem out of line with other LGS.

I also visit; Discount Gun Mart on Morena Blvd, off the 5-8 exchange. There is also a sister in El Cajon, Santee, of the 67 on No. Magnolia.
San Diego Police Equipment, on El Cajon Blvd
American Shooting Center, off of the 52 on Ruffin Rd
Turner's near ASC, but off of the 15 on Clairmont Mesa Blvd
Project 2000 in south El Cajon on Dehesa Rd
and....although I HATE this place....The El Cajon Gun Exchange on Broadway....they have REALLY crappy human relations there, but they have guns and stuff too. Last resort.

chillincody
12-21-2012, 8:37 PM
I like la mesa collectables and the others they said ^^

But I WILL NOT shop at el cajon gun exchange because a) there prices are super high b) workers are rude as hell c) im young (23) and when I go in their they treat me as if I was a kid so I take my money elsewhere

Spoilerv2
12-21-2012, 8:56 PM
El cajon gun exchange is horrible. I don't understand why they're still in business.

roll2li
12-26-2012, 8:18 AM
Another vote for Wiser Owl. One nice thing with the rush, since Casey's shop is relatively new (6 months), she doesn't get the full court press you're seeing at Turner's or Parallax. It's nice having your weapon handled by the gunsmith at the store counter instead of in the back. Also, cash discounts and 10% military discounts.

HKchucksta
12-26-2012, 1:15 PM
Parallax is definitely one of my favorites, but it's also frequented by many people. It's a relatively small shop, so unless you're very proactive in getting someone's attention, you might want to get comfortable waiting.

That being said, their prices and knowledge-ability are hard to beat.

rplusplus
12-26-2012, 1:23 PM
Pretty much what was said above.

I bought my scope's and accessories at OpticsPlanet through Amazon back when shipping and tax was free.

therealnickb
12-26-2012, 1:25 PM
El Cajon treated me great. I was only there twice though. Once to buy & once to pick up. Just happened to be in the area and they had a rifle I wanted.

The only bad part of my time there was a gay dude trying to pick me up. I'm not on that team buddy.

FamilyofShooters
12-26-2012, 1:27 PM
Depending on where in San Diego County you live, my go to places are La Mesa Fine Firearms (in La Mesa) or Bigshot on Miramar Road. Both have very knowledgeable staff and good customer service.

Mr.Hipp
12-26-2012, 2:09 PM
More info:
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=557701

Likecars
12-26-2012, 7:37 PM
Fine Firearms, La Mesa.

Sdquattro
12-27-2012, 7:34 AM
+1! Parallax all the way! Best selection, unbeatable prices, tons of knowledge of all platforms and 3% discount if you pay wish CA$H!!!!

Parallax is definitely one of my favorites, but it's also frequented by many people. It's a relatively small shop, so unless you're very proactive in getting someone's attention, you might want to get comfortable waiting.

That being said, their prices and knowledge-ability are hard to beat.

xDIEGOx
12-27-2012, 8:09 AM
Direct Action Solutions
Parallax Tactical
Turner's in San Marcos

Those are my go to shops.

robertras
12-27-2012, 8:15 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, i dropped by gunmart because i was in the general area, and the had mounts and rings that i needed (long lines, but helpful staff) Ill probably try stopping by another store in the next couple days so that i can acquire a couple other things such as gun oil, and some cleaning supplies, so thanks for all the great info.

chillincody
12-27-2012, 8:29 PM
I just saw 2 more gun shops in lakeside off winter gardens and in santee over by the riverford exit didnt catch there names tho ill see if I have time tommorow to swing by and check them out ill report back anybody else check these places out?

heedless619
12-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Glock Store
Direct Action Solutions
Wiser Owl
Discount Gun Mart (Santee)
P2K

Least Favorite:

San Diego Police Equipment (Bad Service)

Revoman
12-28-2012, 5:07 PM
"I just saw 2 more gun shops in lakeside off winter gardens and in santee over by the riverford exit didnt catch there names tho ill see if I have time tommorow to swing by and check them out ill report back anybody else check these places out? "

The one in Santee used to be owned by Shari and her husband Jim, but they sold out about a year or more ago. Who ever bought it from them turned it into a 'black gun' only shop with very limited stock.

Another fella bought it more recently, John is his name, and he is trying to get some better stock and a wider band of product. It's a very small place on the second floor.

The Wintergardens one is actually an auction house that has some guns for sale, but mostly for auction. It's a very clean, well kept place and nice to visit, but I have yet to see much of any real value there. Only once did I see something nice and it was for auction only. They are close for the Holidays until after the 1st anyway.

chillincody
12-29-2012, 4:42 PM
"I just saw 2 more gun shops in lakeside off winter gardens and in santee over by the riverford exit didnt catch there names tho ill see if I have time tommorow to swing by and check them out ill report back anybody else check these places out? "

The one in Santee used to be owned by Shari and her husband Jim, but they sold out about a year or more ago. Who ever bought it from them turned it into a 'black gun' only shop with very limited stock.

Another fella bought it more recently, John is his name, and he is trying to get some better stock and a wider band of product. It's a very small place on the second floor.

The Wintergardens one is actually an auction house that has some guns for sale, but mostly for auction. It's a very clean, well kept place and nice to visit, but I have yet to see much of any real value there. Only once did I see something nice and it was for auction only. They are close for the Holidays until after the 1st anyway.

Awesome thanks I still havent checked it out but want to check out the santee one Im hoping they do speacil orders Im tired of being told no when trying to order a gun around here

kcjr1125
12-29-2012, 4:48 PM
Fine firearms in la mesa has what your looking for. El cajon gun is a fine shop just a few old guys there that will razzle u but they are fine folks

robertras
12-29-2012, 7:49 PM
Ok i went to a couple more gun shops in the last couple of days so ill give you my reviews
Parallax tactical - good shop decent selection, probably the best prices, however very busy, and due to this customer service wasnt that great, also didnt have the particular item i needed
Wiser owl - definitely the smallest operation, however the lady working there was great, even though they didnt have what i needed, however i would rate their customer service the best
Fine firearms - huge inventory, especially of older guns, large selection of ammo, helpful people, even though they were busy, however i think the prices were pretty high
Gun mart - decent invintory, cs was only ok, decent prices.
Thanks for all the help guys

PyroFox79
01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Turners Kearny Mesa and Discount Gun Mart are my go to ones.
Joe from parallax is a douche and has screwed over me and my friends over a few times so i wont be doing business there anymore.
DAS- I went there for a ppt and was treated well. Been meaning to go back just a bit out of my way.

ummmmmm456
01-05-2013, 11:11 PM
before the panic buying

turners kearny mesa- best selection of guns by far. cheap prices if your able to save up money and wait for their deals. expensive ppt.

parallax tactical - great selection. prices are great sometimes. expensive ppt and special orders.

wiser owl - doesn't have the greatest selection, great ppt and special order pricing.

fine firearms - great selection on older guns, expensive ppt and special ordering.

when i started buying guns, i learned the hard way that not everyone is going to have nice customer service. every shop seems to have bad employees and good ones too. i know alot of people here talk about not going here or there cause of the attitude. i got past that. i go wherever my needs are filled.

TriumphAndrew
01-08-2013, 3:51 PM

My dad's sister in law and her family own this one. It's called "Past and Present". The good stuff usually winds up in the auctions. They are a full FFL and can order whatever, but mainly deal in cowboy stuff. The website is worth checking out to see what's going to be up for auction.

user1981
01-09-2013, 9:52 AM
I go to California Police Equipment on el cajon blvd, theyere veteran owned and top notch service every time i go in!! helped me many of times with my adams arms piston seizing and other armorer services. i dont go anywhere else!!

sd_shooter
01-09-2013, 10:12 AM
A couple more worth mentioning:

Poway Weapons & Gear
Quite possibly the best place to get real SD ammo like Winchester Ranger and Federal HST. Have common pistols in stock (ie. Glock, S&W, SA), lots of shotguns, and had a decent selection of EBR prior to the panic. Will special order if you want.

Glock Store
The place to go if you want a Glock. Even has a range on site where you can test fire if you bring some ammo.

leonard6084
01-09-2013, 4:32 PM
I have always had great experience with customer service and a good verity of handguns at California police equipment. Very military friendly. I bought my sig there and im going to buy a second one soon.

TriumphAndrew
01-10-2013, 3:10 PM
I'd agree with Parallax having a slip in customer service lately. I hadn't had a reason to go there for a couple of months, but decided to stop in since i was at the mirimar cemetary. I was less than stoked with the change in customer service and employees. I only saw 2 familiar faces there. The rest were new employees. I also noticed they were expanding into the space next door. I hope they have enough stock to fill this expansion. Unfortunately, now seems like a bad time to be doing so. I hope they can survive, and go back to what they were.

botsdots
01-10-2013, 5:46 PM
I used to like Parallax a lot. Last time I was in there, I almost had to wave cash at them to get them to help me. I think the long term problem is that Joe needs to find employees and managers he trusts to make relationships with customers. It was about the confidence/kindness/friendliness of Joe that got a lot of people to go back there. The unfortunate problem created is 100s of Joe's "closest" friends are now there daily.

And to keep this post on topic, I drove past a "Team Glock" sign the other day on Lake Murray Blvd in La Mesa (approx. 6025 Lake Murray Blvd.). I pulled in the parking lot when they were closed and the name is escaping me, but it was something along the lines of "Western Butte Tactical" or something like that...

ETA: Hah, it's "Wilde Built Tactical" : http://www.wildebuilttactical.com

ncrotalus
01-11-2013, 2:59 PM
+100 for wiser owl. Best buying experience I've had. As others stated already, Not as much in stock, but can special order.

swift722
01-18-2013, 1:42 PM
BIG SHOTS
miramar rd. By far

therealnickb
01-18-2013, 8:20 PM
Update.

My favorite gun shop is Duncan's in San Marcos.

After a long morning waiting for one shop to open (that never did). And over an hour waiting for turners to tell us "corporate will not allow us to ship a lower to another FFL".

Duncan's has us done in about 15 minutes! And they were slammed with customers.

Thank you Duncan's!

drsalee
01-27-2013, 9:14 AM
I like Poway Weapons.

Seem like decent folks. i have bought a few items there.

AdamSD
01-28-2013, 7:32 AM
+1 on Parralax Tactical and Fine Firearms. Both have very knowledgable staff and are extremely helpful and nice. My visits to PT have really impressed me though. Good people.

Only negative encounter has been SD Police Supply; they seem dismissive and condescending. I seem to inconvenience them by trying to spend money there. I won't be going back.

Edit: I'd also like to add that Jay from Holt and Son Firearms. He has come through for me when tracking down specific and hard to find weapons. He is a very knowledgable and professional FFL dealer.

lorax3
01-28-2013, 8:11 AM
Although Gusslers is not a 'gun shop' they are a great FFL. If you are buying a firearm online, or need something shipped in, they are the place to go.

Gusslers
Address: 9334 Dempster Dr, Santee, CA 92071
Phone: (619) 258-2543
http://gusslers.com/

Casual_Shooter
01-28-2013, 8:15 AM
Walked into Parallax Tactical the other day expecting their usual wall-to-wall crowd. Pleasantly surprised at the lack of crowd. Still had a decent selection of "stuff". Not many guns on the wall or in the cabinets, but parts seemed pretty well stocked.

Walked out with the ambi-safety I was hoping to find.

brownfeathermedic
01-28-2013, 9:29 AM
Wiser Owl had awesome Customer service ,a little less in stock,but Casey was Hot to look at. I"ll be doing more business there. No one has mentioned TDS Guns in the So. Bay on Bonita rd/otay lakes rd. They are good people too. On a whim, try Royal pawn shop on El Cajon Blvd/30th. they have good customer service and alot of pistols.

jepppppoy
01-28-2013, 11:23 AM
wiser owl-great prices and best service
discount gun mart morena blvd-good selection, good service
tds-okay selection for ar15 and ak parts (great if you live in south bay)

Junbuster
01-28-2013, 4:36 PM
royal loan is awesome...bought my saiga there before the panic and they were almost too friendly and helpful lol

SFC2140
01-29-2013, 9:57 AM
Ive been to most of the Gun stores in San Diego, I go to Fine Fire arms as much as I can. The guys there are great never try to screw you and always helpful. Even went as far to not selling me a new gun because it wasnt what I really wanted. The other stores I have been too had pretty good experiences with with the exception of El Cajon Gun exchange. I have had multiple incidents with them. If you are not there buying a gun they could give two sh***s about you. I wont ever go back, I dont care gun stock ammo stock. They have the worst customer relations than any other place I have been to.

I think its a great Idea to have a list of good gun stores and stores that we should avoid in the SD area this gives anyone just browsing through this site to take advice on good stores and avoid the bad ones hopefully this will make the bad ones change their ways or die off.

AdamSD
02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
I think its a great Idea to have a list of good gun stores and stores that we should avoid in the SD area this gives anyone just browsing through this site to take advice on good stores and avoid the bad ones hopefully this will make the bad ones change their ways or die off.

Agreed. Threads of this nature have surely saved me from unneeded headaches, aggravation, and time wasted. They are an invaluable resource for helping the local SD members choose the right places to contribute to and the right places to avoid.

Walking Fire
02-02-2013, 5:34 PM
I am in Nor Cal and need a part from Parallax. Can anyone close by pick up a small part for me? I need a FAL bullet button that they make.
Parallax has stopped doing Online business, and they dont answer there phone.
They are posting on Facebook that their business is very good, but that doesnt do me any good if I cant buy a part from them and I cant drive down there for a $50.00 part.
PM me if you are able to help.
Thanks

TapRackBang
02-02-2013, 7:00 PM
El Cajon Gun Exchange THUMBS DOWN

California Police Supply THUMBS DOWN

I'm young as well and my cash is as good as anyone else's but the dusty old turds at these two outfits are rude, condescending, and all around jack holes. Not somewhere you take your kids if you're trying to introduce them to gun culture.

Discount Gun Mart THUMBS UP

Polite, friendly, knowledgeable and they understand the concept of being "open" to the public beyond having their front doors unlocked. They've earned my business and will for years to come.

noob_tube
02-03-2013, 1:39 AM
Parallax Tactical and Wiser Owl are my go-to stores.

I won't set foot in Fine Firearms or Discount Gun Mart.

Knockoutz
02-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Parallax Tactical. Fav spot.
Haven't been to many other spots.

datsunrdster67
02-04-2013, 4:13 AM
Wiser owl, they really give that personal touch, Casey is awesome, they didn't price gouge like most and they really are wiling to help you. Chase is a great gun tech and their prices are within reach.

CRACKERJACK
02-05-2013, 5:32 PM
My experience with Parallax Tactical a year ago was of constantly just seemingly being forgot about. Wanted a handgun they usually had in stock. Went there and the guy said he'd email me when the next shipment was coming. After a month of never getting an email, I emailed him. He told me two weeks. I emailed him again in two weeks and he quickly pushed me off onto their "main sales guy." Who gave me the regurgitated, "They'll be here in two weeks, I'll let you know exactly when they arrive." Emailed him in two weeks. He told me two weeks again. I emailed the main guy Joe after that, basically saying here's my money, special order it if you have to. He said two weeks. I emailed him again saying I just want to special order it. Never heard back from any of them. I even went in there twice. This was before they rose in popularity, most I ever saw was one or two other customers in there. I wasn't in a hurry and some dumb part of me wanted to support the company everyone on CG was raving about, never again.
:twoweeks:

I forget the man's name, but the guy that runs Big Shots, holy molly is he nice. I went in there when it opened to check it out and ended up talking to him for 30 minutes. Another thing I noticed and liked about him was while I was talking to him, he was still greeting new customers and seeing if they needed anything. Hate when I'm ignored while the worker is simply shooting the ****. The one big con though, when he did finally start selling fire arms, the one I wanted was 110$ more there than another place I was checking. I'll penny up for customer service, but 110$, nope.

In my experience (and also seemingly all my friends) DAS has made themselves out to be the king of the non-fud shops. Their prices aren't very competitive, but they know what they're doing and are pretty nice people.

My best all around experiences are Royal Loan (pawnshop.) Nice people behind the counters and everything has always run smoothy for me.

And contrary to apparently everyone else on this board, SoCal Guns (which just closed last October.) Whenever I went in I could never make it to the back without being asked politely if I needed help, and reminded if I wanted anything in particular they'd make it happen for me.

Sounds like I need to go check out Wiser Owl.

tio sams misguided child
02-06-2013, 10:39 PM
TDS Guns in Bonita is my go to spot. Great sales team real friendly and knowledgeable. I did a AR-15 build using all there parts and purchase my ammo from them as well.

MontezumaBlackOut
02-07-2013, 6:39 PM
My Faves:
TDS GUNS
Discount Gun Mart
Parallax Tactical

kmzloy
02-08-2013, 7:20 AM
Sounds like I have to check out a few shops, particularly Wiser Owl and DAS. I hadn't been out to El Cajon Gun Exchange, and from what I read, I won't bother.

Turners on Clairemont - Good
American Shooting Center on Ruffin - Good (usually)

I have had good and bad experiences at California Police Equipment, I went in there once (years ago) looking for a holster. I wanted a particular type, so seeing that the store was empty, and instead of going through all their inventory, I asked the woman at the counter. That was a mistake, I got short, rude remarks. It got so bad that I ended up leaving shortly after and determined I would not do business with them, and would make sure nobody else did that I cared about. Years later I returned, only because I was with a friend who was driving and who wanted to go there. I had the opposite experience, very helpful and patient. I now go there, but cautiously.

jnojr
02-08-2013, 3:56 PM

http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Stores.html

There's a Yelp link for each one... if they treated you well or badly, say so! If enough people do that, and you see some have lots of good reviews and some have lots of bad, there you go!

erowe916
02-14-2013, 2:00 PM
Everyone should check out "Team Big Shots" on Miramar Road, Wiser owl, Parralax, or DAS.

Team Big Shots is my favorite. Probable the newest store in SD but will quickly become the best shop in town. The staff is awesome and the shop is by far the biggest. Once they are fully stocked, after this "gun rush", they will be a store that all stores will be compared to.

Wiser Owl - Great small store with a good friendly staff.

Parralax - Pretty good staff but I agree with other posts that you need to be proactive to get help.

DAS - This is the store to deal with for SSE as of right now. They do a lot of them and they know what/ how to get what ever you need.

Recently picked up these 2 builds from Team Big Shots

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-bK7H8oXak0c/UR1nBdnOEQI/AAAAAAAADdM/7jZAzNAmh-0/s550/_DSC0170.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-K0a7B1mIpGU/UR1m71dmn4I/AAAAAAAADcs/hGZjh_dbs_o/s550/_DSC0165.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nWWZqj53h4c/URyMR1hg66I/AAAAAAAADZs/5Dyg0sAfz5Q/s365/20130213_230312.jpg

Sentenza
02-14-2013, 3:27 PM
DAS - Extremely helpful and friendly. Picked up my off-roster 1911 there.
Parallax - Also helpful and friendly, gets very busy though.
Gonna hit Big Shot this week and check it out.

Atlantaboi2012
02-14-2013, 3:40 PM
Wiser Owl is in one of those crowd free locations and Chase the gunsmith is cool as all get out and is quick ,knowledgeable, reasonable labor and they have the BEST FFL to FFL transfer fee at $35..The shop isnt bad either once they get more stuff in stock but thats an issue all the shops are having and they do have "cool guy" accessories that are hard to find ... ALthough I HATE having to wait around for anything, Parallax is the place to go for parts if you must have it today... Discount Guns on Morena is the place to go to buy handguns/rifles and to shoot...Out of all the places in SD, Ive purchased the majority of my guns there. El Cajon Gun Exchange is probably the only shop I have yet to buy a gun from in the SD area all because they wouldnt quote a price over the phone or price match a Glock for me.... Place to go if you wanna buy ammo and have NO HURRY gunsmithing done.. P2k can kiss my ***

BadKitty
02-14-2013, 3:53 PM
The Good.....

Glock Store -I love this place! The staff there are always helpful, have positive attitudes and are knowledgeable. They either have, or can order, just about anything I need.

Discount Gun Mart (Santee) - The staff at the location in Santee have always been pretty decent to me. Helpful folks and I was able to find some items I had been looking for in their pro shop.

Fine Firearms - Cool dudes. They have a pretty good selection of firearms and a decent enough selection of accessories and such. I bought one of my pistols there. They gave me a good deal and it was a no-hassle transaction.

Triple E - This is a law enforcement dealer; so, I don't think everyone can shop there. However, I bought a pistol from them and the staff was great. They even grabbed the official Glock rep while he was in the store and had him install my Trijicon sights.

And the Ugly...

American Shooting Center - Awful customer service, rude staff and bad business practices. I once bought a pistol there and got the run around. I demanded my money back and haven't stepped foot in there since and that was two years ago.

Jeebs
02-15-2013, 5:41 AM
I have been to most shops here in SD and they are all, for the most part, very similar. If you go to Turner's (either one) or Parallax, be prepared to wait no matter what you are looking for. American Shooting Center might have the rudest staff I've encountered of ANY business in San Diego.

My choices:

For optics: Precision Arms in Escondido

All Else: Kal Customs in Fallbrook. Thanfully, this place is off the beaten path for most, and it stays empty and un-abused. They have the finest customer service (family owned) I've encountered in the industry. They always have reloading supplies in stock. I just purchased several pounds of Varget and a few hundred rounds of SMK in various calibers and paid a fair price. Why? Because they don't raise prices of product - ever. Say they bought a box of bullets a year ago and set it on the shelf. Even if their price goes up, they leave the old product price alone and only adjust the price on the new product that comes in. Awesome deals can be found here. The gunsmith, and owner, is extremely knowledgable as well. He was the gunsmith for the US Olympic team too! I love this shop and will not go anywhere else.

sdsguy87
02-25-2013, 12:01 AM
I've only purchased from 3 places and they were all great experiences but I can say TDS guns off Bonita Road is the best place. The staff is super friendly, they have a good amount of stuff in stock, and they're really looking to help you out and not upsell you on crap.

I pretty much bought all the pieces for my AR build from them unless they didn't have it (barrel, lower, LPK were online) and this was in January and the prices were really good. Since I was a newb they helped me when I couldn't figure out how to put something together and even when the store was packed they gave me tons of info.

American Shooting Center is awesome too. The guys can be gruff if you're stupid, but I'm a member there and they're awesome. They've even helped me in putting one round on top of the other with my 1911.

swift
02-25-2013, 4:32 AM
I really like parallax. Yes, they can be slow, but only once in the last ~20 visits did I feel customer service was not excellent.

I try to avoid el cajon shooting center and ASC. I'm dissatisfied with their customer service. They have decent products, but if I feel unwelcome, I'll take my business elsewhere.

California police supply has changed owners and I found service went downhill initially and then returned so I wonder if the negative comments accurately reflect the current owners.

I need to check out DAS and Team Big Shot.

minutemanben
02-25-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm younger(23) but I have some cash to spend on stuff that I want. I recently moved back to San Diego, and while there are more gun stores here, they are all super busy. I currently don't have a job so I decided to familiarize myself with the stores within driving distance. Here are my thoughts on the few that stood out.

American shooting center is more of a range than a store, but the staff seemed nice and helpful when I did want to buy something.

Discount gun mart I cannot stand. Their staff is young, but not in an understanding helpful way, they seem douchey. Their prices are very high and the range on Morena was filthy.

Parallax is cool and they have stuff, but too many people and I didn't like the feel of the employees(whatever that means to you.)

Wiser owl seemed nice, but like most people have said they have almost nothing to sell and even with 4 people in the shop they seemed swamped.

El Cajon gun exchange had ammo and people trying to sell guns, but for the most part they were older and just plain rude.

California police supply is just that, a police supply place, their prices seem high and their staff has a somewhat gruff demeanor. It's almost like they want to sell to the police or something.

Turners is great, the staff are young and honest about expectations during this time. It may take awhile to get helped but when you do get helped they help you until you are satisfied, just don't forget to take a number.

The one that I have had the best experience with and few people have commented on is P2K range in El Cajon. It is a bit of a drive, quite often busy and as most of the above their stock right now is limited. The staff is young and as long as you talk to the guys and not the girls(as pretty as they may be) they are helpful and knowledgeable. The prices for things other than guns seem fair(as fair as anyone right now) but their range fees are rather high if you want to shoot for awhile. I have only been there since the shootings so almost everything "black and scary" is sold out, but they have shotguns and some handguns for seemingly reasonable prices. It is first and foremost a range, which is reflected by the 100 yard indoor range and outside shotgun area, but their customer service is good if you get in line and wait your turn.

ChrisBrooklyn
02-25-2013, 12:09 PM
El Cajon Gun Exchange THUMBS DOWN

California Police Supply THUMBS DOWN

I'm young as well and my cash is as good as anyone else's but the dusty old turds at these two outfits are rude, condescending, and all around jack holes. Not somewhere you take your kids if you're trying to introduce them to gun culture.

Discount Gun Mart THUMBS UP

Polite, friendly, knowledgeable and they understand the concept of being "open" to the public beyond having their front doors unlocked. They've earned my business and will for years to come.

triple for this^^^^

ChrisBrooklyn
02-25-2013, 12:12 PM
California police supply has changed owners and I found service went downhill initially and then returned so I wonder if the negative comments accurately reflect the current owners.

the current owners are HORRID, terrible prices, attitude towards any non leo, and out right lies to get out of doing PPT's..

Chainz
02-25-2013, 1:34 PM
Try Hillcrest Pawn Shop. Even though they are a Pawn Shop they have a pretty decent selection of firearms and ammo. They are one of the last places I saw any AR's in stock.:chris::62::62:

Dollar
03-05-2013, 6:24 AM
Anyone know of a gunsmith in San Diego that can take off a pinned fh on a 14.5 barrel and install a low profile gas block and repin a new fh? Or of one that can shave a fsb down and help install a centurion rail? Keep in mind the barrel is 14.5. I know of other shops online like ar15barrels, but I rather save on the shipping and the extra charges.

Thanks

Also, what is this "chase" gunshop/gunsmith?

SpedRacr619
03-16-2013, 12:27 AM
TDS guns in Bonita - The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and easy to work with during a recent PPT with mr-benster for a Mossberg SPX 930, plus they offer military discounts and lots of accessories for ARs.

Turners Kearney Mesa - When they have good discounts in their weekly ads, but that usually leads to large crowds on to deal with on Thursday and Friday.

Discount Gun Mart off Moreno Blvd - for range hours, access and ease of use and purchase of accessories.

82Landy
03-23-2013, 8:03 PM
Paralax Tactical
Big Shot
Wiser Owl
Discount Gun (morena)
Cal Police Equipment

Have bought at all and had great experiences at all. Not sure who people are talking to or maybe its how you carry yourself, nothing negative so far.

rumplstinsky
03-24-2013, 10:15 AM
for AR and AK stuff #1 is parallax tactical, still great customer service and the best prices on town for most of the stuff, #2 big shot, they are getting there, great customer service, not as many parts like parallax and prices are pretty good, #3 TDS guns AKA last resort, customer service is ok if you dont speak to one of the owners or at least he had that attitude when i talked to that particular guy, everybody else was fine, prices are way higher but they have some stuff. for any other kind of guns, I will go first to la mesa collectibles, they have a pretty good selection of reloading supply's, theres a new store in chula vista called bella vista outfitters, the customer service was great, is pretty much a mom and pop's store, pretty small but they have tons of stuff, I found 22lr ammo and they have tons of lee reloading equip.

Kolo589
03-24-2013, 8:06 PM
For EBRs: I've had good experiences at Parallax Tactical.

For long range rifles: Precision Arms in Escondido can set you up with pretty much whatever you want (and he'll even take you out to Pala to show you how to properly use it).

For pistols: Discount Gun Mart (Morena) seemed to be pretty good (they shipped product from their Santee store to the Morena store since it was closer to my house) but I haven't been back there since.

soulbyte
03-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Faith Armory in Temecula and The Shootist in Murrieta

Hoopty
03-30-2013, 8:16 PM
California Police Equipment doesn't even like cops:eek:

diverwcw
04-05-2013, 7:11 AM
El cajon gun exchange is horrible. I don't understand why they're still in business.

Check out their reviews on Yelp.

HappyCamper781
04-05-2013, 8:44 AM
I'm a huge huge fan of Precision Arms in Escondido... awesome laid back gun enthusiast owner. Great selection of rifles in store.

Doc Hawk
04-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Another vote for:
California Police Equipment on El Cajon Blvd
and
Discount Gun Mart in Santee

Another vote against El Cajon Gun Exchange. Technical ignorance, terrible attitude, awful pricing, and predictable know-it-all obnoxiousness of a staff mostly filled with non-vets and non-LEOs but all agreed amongst themselves they are Gun Whisperers.

XenosAce
04-20-2013, 1:15 AM
I am in north county coastal in SD and I too am a young gun (20). I have bought 2 of the 3 guns from National Police Supply. The guy there is a good man and runs a solid business. While he is more of a FFL rather than a gun shop, he can order and sell you guns or be your FFL transfer guy. In his shop though he does have gear on display you can buy. He is also a wealth of information. I have also bought a lower there. And going there for a pistol when I come of age. I highly recommend National Police Supply.

Xtracrispy
04-20-2013, 6:56 AM
As has been said before:

Fine firearms in La Mesa, Parallax, and P2K are good(p2k has a couple douchy RO's but the shop people have been good every time I have been).

Never had a good experience at El Cajon Gun.

I haven't been to a lot of the other shops, but I'm sure there are many more good ones.

KMod
05-21-2013, 7:34 PM
Just went to team big shot today. Great customer service.

Initially went in looking for a mini 30, Drew was helping me and spent a good 30 minutes on that. Explained to me why it was such and issue and recommended some alternatives.

While he was showing me some other guns, specifically an AR-10, R700, and a few AR-15s, I was chatting with the girlfriend.

The other rep heard me talking about duty and found out he has done flight ops with the Desert Ducks on my ship numerous times in the past.

They're currently looking for a specific gun for me and took down my info to let me know what happens.

Best customer service I've seen in a while. Staff is very nice, easy to talk, knowledgable and willing to help.

From what I saw prices were very competitive and they had a decent stock of AR everything if you're into that.

Already recommended to my friend looking for a complete upper. Worth checking out.