PDA

View Full Version : 2nd amendment is for Muskets- logic aplied

hermosabeach
12-21-2012, 6:13 PM
I read an OP ED piece in the recent NRA magazine....

The OP ED was about the argument that the 2nd amendment guaranteed ones right to own a firearm that was available when the Amendments were added....September 25, 1789, and adopted on December 15, 1791.

He went on to discuss applying this logic to the 1st amendment.

You would have protection of free speech:

1) When you are shout or speak in public
(but not in locations that did not exist when the amendment was signed- movie theaters, Starbucks, schools)

2) When writing/ communicating in formats that existed at the time - Telegraph, Books, Local newspapers.

So no 1st amendment protection for
Internet
National Newspaper
Radio
Television / Cable
Movies

Kinda helps put the musket debate into a different frame of silliness.....

wjc
12-21-2012, 6:19 PM
I still like this version of the argument....

Kolo589
12-21-2012, 6:52 PM
2) When writing/ communicating in formats that existed at the time - Telegraph, Books, Local newspapers.

The first Optical Telegraph didn't exist until 1792 in France and the electric telegraph was 1837. Unless they want to count smoke signals or signal fires, you'd be relegated to quill and ink and the manual printing press.

wjc
12-21-2012, 6:58 PM
Taverns

Much of the discussion regarding the revolution and the forming of the country happened at taverns and inns.

AceOfClubs
12-21-2012, 7:06 PM
funny how it's taken for granted that my 1A rights extend to the internet without question yet somehow my 2A rights are considered a relic from a time capsule...

bohoki
12-21-2012, 7:52 PM
yea freedom of the press was only intended for that giant grape smashing thing

mud99
12-21-2012, 10:52 PM
As of January 1st we can't even carry unloaded muskets in California. We can't even carry loaded muskets today!

Let them use the musket analogy all they want, just makes our position more clear.