PDA

View Full Version : Assaulted Film - Production Update / Call to Action

interstellar
12-21-2012, 4:32 PM
12/18/12

Dear CalGunners -

Thank you for all for your support of our film Assaulted: Civll Rights Under Fire. (New to you? See previous threads here - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=616680 and http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=561952 )

This film started as a simple regional compare-and-contrast documentary, looking at California gun laws, for consumption at West Coast film festivals and via regional PBS broadcasts. The focus of the film then moved to a broader presentation of the 2nd Amendment after the Aurora theater shooting caused politicians to call for a new Federal assault weapons ban. Now, the Newtown massacre has created an even a greater need for this film, as our elected officials try everything in their bag to infringe on our second amendment rights. The media is also fast on calling for gun control without fully understanding all of the implications that such proposed restrictive laws have on our civil right, while the real cause for these mass shootings, mental health, gets ignored.

In September/October, we raised $72,000 through a campaign on Kickstarter.com (net $64,000 after commissions to Kickstarter and Amazon). This net sum represents a third of our total projected budget of $180,000 to complete the film. These funds combined with a donation of $10,000 from CalGuns/SAF has allowed us to obtain the majority of the interviews and principle photography we need to complete the film. Here is a list of completed interviews to date:

Gun Rights Advocates:
Alan Gottlieb
Gene Hoffman
Kenneth Blanchard
Nicole Stallard
Phillip Journey
Robert Weist
Sheldon Clare
Donald Moran
Tomas Boyer

Firearm Users – Deadly Force
Donna Hopper
Jeanne Assam

Lawyers/Authors/Educators
Alan Gura
Adam Winkler
Bobbie Ross
Eugene Volokh
Don Kilmer
Kevin Thomason
Kathleen Jackson
Gordon Hutchinson
Gary Kleck
Massad Ayoob

Gun Personalities/Media
Chris Cheng
Emily Miller

Politicos
Ted Lieu
Anthony Portantino

Law Enforcement Officer
Ed Monk
Liz Boyer

Gun Control Advocates
Laurie Saffian

Historian/NRA
Jeff Knox

FFL
Darin Prince
David Christian
Michael Penhall
Alan Samuel

District Attorney
Mike Ramsey

Gun Owner
Randy Spade

Foreign Observer
Michael Lipscombe

First Time Shooters (UCLA students)
Charlie Sarosy
Jonathon Townsend
Katie Mcachen

New Orleans Gun Confiscation Victims
Pattie Konie
Jo Anne Guidos
Wayne Schum
Richard Styron

Man in the Street
Andy Miller
Richard Bordin
Renee Boyd
Mike Ross
Patrick McClure
Leo Weiss
Steve Joiner

We’ve decided to do a theatrical release following the grassroots method used recently by the political film 2016 - released in theaters in major US cities and quickly followed up by distribution through Netflix and iTunes. PBS is still a viable distribution point, but we fear their scheduling cycle will limit the impact of the film through a late second or even third quarter airing long after Congress has debated and passed new gun control laws.

We need to complete the film in the next 60 days to reach this goal. We can only make that schedule work if we have the funds to match the expenses. We will have a new trailer of the film by Jan 7th and will be launching a new Kickstarter campaign shortly after that to raise the remaining funds needed to finish the film - but you don’t have to wait for the Kickstarter campaign to donate.

You can visit the film’s website www.assaultedfilm.com and make a donation through PayPal (cheaper for us than Amazon/Kickstarter) or send us a check. Major donations can still be made through our PBS presenting station Southern Oregon Public Television (SOPTV) for tax deductions - contact us if you need further information.

Please, we need your help more than ever.

Thank You!
Kris and the “Assaulted” team.

taperxz
12-21-2012, 6:39 PM
ttt

USMCM16A2
12-21-2012, 6:57 PM
Ken,

Add another $50. USMCM16A2 and godammed proud of it!!!!!!!.

wjc
12-21-2012, 7:04 PM
I'll send a check tomorrow.

I got burned pretty good using Paypal and they will never get my business again.

Update: $100 check on the way to Chico.

interstellar
12-21-2012, 7:14 PM
Thank you!

vladbutsky
12-21-2012, 9:07 PM
Donated via PayPal.

Thank you for doing it. We need this now more than ever!

Purple K
12-21-2012, 11:16 PM
With this project no longer being California specific, maybe we should appeal to other Calguns type groups around the Country.

sharxbyte
12-22-2012, 1:56 AM
tagged, ill see what i can do.

bloodhawke83
12-22-2012, 1:59 AM
Will it play in Sacramento?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dutch3
12-22-2012, 6:33 AM
Kris, thank you for putting your heart and soul into this project.

I will be contributing more in a few weeks when I am able.

God Bless.

interstellar
12-22-2012, 8:08 AM
$570 raised since we started this thread!

Thank you.

CaliforniaLiberal
12-22-2012, 8:22 AM
$100 in the kitty from me.

Come on CalGunners! Any amount is useful here. $20. Do I hear $20?

This documentary will be telling our story to the world. Professional film makers, presenting our point of view.

mag360
12-22-2012, 8:24 AM
Is there an updated link for donations?

CaliforniaLiberal
12-22-2012, 8:28 AM
Movie website:

http://www.deadpatriotfilms.com/assaulted/

Donate:

http://www.deadpatriotfilms.com/assaulted/donate.html

VAReact
12-22-2012, 5:51 PM
Bump...getting another donation together...

Gunlawyer
12-22-2012, 6:21 PM
$100.00 sent your way. Love the shirts. Cant wait to see it in film!

bigb0886
12-22-2012, 8:49 PM
Start my new job on the 3rd. First paycheck, expect some money your way and to CGF...

interstellar
12-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Thank you!

smirnus3000
12-22-2012, 11:45 PM
In light of recent events, it is more important now than ever we all do what we can to help

Fellblade
12-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Short on money with the holidays, but chipped in $10. I can skimp on lunch this week.

interstellar
12-23-2012, 1:01 PM
How committed are we to getting this film completed?

We're selling our production truck to keep the project moving forward!

http://chico.craigslist.org/cto/3497643912.html

Kris

interstellar
12-24-2012, 2:01 PM
Merry Christmas from the Assault Team!

interstellar
12-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Thank you to all the CalGunners that have made second donations!

Sully
12-26-2012, 5:12 PM
Nice trailer!

Like the calm responses by the fellow with the guns on the White racks behind him; Was or will his name be shown below him?

Two donations sent via paypal, one for the Tshirt, too.

Having canned, repeatable materials to use keeps us from getting hoarse voices and our case can be crafted clearly. look forward to movie and good luck!

nicki
12-26-2012, 7:07 PM
I will get you something, every bit helps.

Nicki

jimsu
12-26-2012, 7:16 PM
Another $100 for the cause.

MrBrent
12-26-2012, 7:21 PM
$50 coming your way.

jpigeon
12-26-2012, 8:49 PM
Cool trailer

interstellar
12-26-2012, 9:16 PM
How committed are we to getting this film completed?

We're selling our production truck to keep the project moving forward!

http://chico.craigslist.org/cto/3497643912.html

Kris

Truck saved by a concerned gun owner!

Keep the donations coming.

Thank you!

interstellar
12-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice trailer!

Like the calm responses by the fellow with the guns on the White racks behind him; Was or will his name be shown below him?

That was Darin Prince and you'll see more of him in the film.

mossy
12-26-2012, 10:28 PM
this will be a seriously important movie for our side. i cant wait for it to come out.

stacym
12-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Second donation made. I believe this is important, and I'm putting my money where my mouth is!

ahabot
12-27-2012, 2:19 AM
$50 via Paypal. Glad to help out.

interstellar
12-27-2012, 4:00 PM
^^^ Thank you!

Today is the day!

Let gun owner voices be heard.

Donate to www.AssaultedFilm.com

interstellar
12-27-2012, 4:00 PM
^^^ Thank you!

Today is the day!

Let gun owner voices be heard.

Donate to www.AssaultedFilm.com

chiselchst
12-27-2012, 4:20 PM
+$150

Thanks SO Much Kris!

(PS Kris, I can't get the trailer to go on the AssualtedFilm.com site or the DeadPatriot site, but it rolls on the kick starter site. Might be my PC?)

jrr
12-27-2012, 4:39 PM
Thanks so much for your hard work! One thing that troubles me; is this going to reach a broad enough audience? With the name chosen and the trailer, I wonder if it will draw people who already think of gun rights as civil rights. That was kind of the problem with 2016, it only reached the people who pretty much agreed with its premise anyway.

With a slightly more neutral name and some different marketing, this might reach more people and actually change some perceptions. I would look at how some movies are advertised differently to different groups in order to increase viewership. For example, some movies are marketed as a "romantic comedy" in one trailer, and as an action flick in another, like with the movie "One For the Money".

Have one trailer that teases the pro-gun control interviews to bring in the people who might not see a pro gun documentary, but would see Bowling for Columbine pt2. Have another that preaches to the choir, so to speak.

Just a thought, I really hope this is able to have an impact on perceptions in the public. Best of luck!

mag360
12-27-2012, 10:32 PM
donated! can't wait!

chiselchst
12-28-2012, 2:52 PM
Stutering....BBBBBump

From a real stutterer....:D

im2ninja4u
12-28-2012, 6:55 PM
You will have a donation from me when I get home tomorrow night!

interstellar
12-29-2012, 9:37 AM
Thank you!

Remember, Monday is the last day to get your tax deductible donation into SOPTV for 2012 taxes.

PM me for the details.

Happy New Year

The Assault Team

BigRobb
12-29-2012, 3:22 PM
Dangit! I saw this too late! I won't be able to donate til next Friday when I get paid!

safewaysecurity
12-29-2012, 4:52 PM
Question. Do we get the same benefits when we donate right now as we would during the first Kickstarter campaing? Like the DVD, shirt etc?

safewaysecurity
12-29-2012, 4:52 PM
Question. Do we get the same benefits when we donate right now as we would during the first Kickstarter campaing? Like the DVD, shirt etc?

pwer lineman
12-29-2012, 6:01 PM
Just donated. Worthy cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interstellar
12-30-2012, 1:51 PM

Currently we're only offering the tee shirt with a $50.00 donation.

Thanks,

Kris

ddandoy
12-30-2012, 2:13 PM
$50 headed your way

Tasty
12-30-2012, 8:14 PM
The workload had slowed for the end of the year. Things will pick up in a week or so, after that happens I'll send more $$

interstellar
12-31-2012, 3:57 PM
Thank you all for the continued support. Every donation counts!

Happy New Year and best wishes to everyone. May 2013 be noted for a 2nd Amendment wave in this country.

Kris

rplusplus
12-31-2012, 6:13 PM
Kris,

My Gmail account had put all the kickstarter e-mails in the spam folder. I updated the information on the kickstarter website.

interstellar
01-01-2013, 8:19 PM
Calgunners!

Big day tomorrow. We're heading down with a hard drive full of 50 interviews and a bunch of cool b-roll to start the post production process. Each of you deserves a pat on the back for getting the production this far, this fast. Without your help we would still be trying to squeeze interviews in around other, non-important, video gigs. Thank you!

Over the next 7-days, we will be working with our editing team to create an updated trailer of the film and starting to layout the film on the editor. Look for some major updates to the website (www.AssaultedFilm.com) and here on CalGuns in the coming two weeks.

So, 4 AM comes fast and I need wrap this up. You can follow us on Twitter (@deadpatriot) and Facebook (www.Facebook.com/DeadPatriotFilms). We'll be tweeting during the drive to LA and back. Might tweet a few quotes from the interviews to whet your appetite.

Donations are still needed as we move into this next phase of production.

Thank you,

The Assault Team

wjc
01-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Calgunners!

Big day tomorrow. We're heading down with a hard drive full of 50 interviews and a bunch of cool b-roll to start the post production process. Each of you deserves a pat on the back for getting the production this far, this fast. Without your help we would still be trying to squeeze interviews in around other, non-important, video gigs. Thank you!

Over the next 7-days, we will be working with our editing team to create an updated trailer of the film and starting to layout the film on the editor. Look for some major updates to the website (www.AssaultedFilm.com) and here on CalGuns in the coming two weeks.

So, 4 AM comes fast and I need wrap this up. You can follow us on Twitter (@deadpatriot) and Facebook (www.Facebook.com/DeadPatriotFilms). We'll be tweeting during the drive to LA and back. Might tweet a few quotes from the interviews to whet your appetite.

Donations are still needed as we move into this next phase of production.

Thank you,

The Assault Team

Another $100 on the way.

mbaerg
01-03-2013, 3:02 AM
Loved the trailer.. looking forward to it.

interstellar
01-03-2013, 8:40 PM
^^Thanks!

...and thanks for all the help coming in.

Kris

interstellar
01-05-2013, 9:17 AM
Bump - we still need your help to make this film a reality.

Thank you

interstellar
01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Education is the way to change minds.

Support our film and help us educate the masses.

www.AssaultedFilm.com

Thank you -

Kris

G-Man WC
01-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Will you be filming any of the upcoming protests in Sacramento
or around the nation?
Should be a great parallel to the tea party marches of the past to
get footage of.
-g

interstellar
01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Will you be filming any of the upcoming protests in Sacramento
or around the nation?
Should be a great parallel to the tea party marches of the past to
get footage of.
-g

Yes, if they happen within the next 30-days.

G-Man WC
01-07-2013, 1:02 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=671159

interstellar
01-07-2013, 2:09 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=671159

We will be in Las Vegas for SHOT. Sorry.