PDA

View Full Version : It's Time For A Conversation About The First Amendment

Scarecrow Repair
12-21-2012, 2:37 PM
Patrick at pophat has some fun... (http://www.popehat.com/2012/12/19/its-time-for-a-conversation-about-the-first-amendment/)

While a so-called "free press" may have sufficed for its purpose in 1776, it is delusional to think that opposition to legitimate government is either necessary, or desirable, in 2012. It is time to have a serious, and respectful, conversation on the limits of expression where that expression harms society, and kills children.

Long and brilliant. Starts slowly and unobviously. Worth reading slowly, feet up, drink in hand, fireplace crackling.

Scarecrow Repair
12-21-2012, 2:44 PM
I have just started reading the comments and I had thought popehat readers were a bit more alert than the usual riffraff. Not only do some comments complain that the premise is wrong without seeing the parody, others with even thinner skins complain that the parody is wrong. I continue to be surprised that I am surprised by expected surprises like this.

nothinghere2c
12-21-2012, 2:52 PM
lol everyone wants to have a "reasonable" conversation about stuff they don't like

wjc
12-21-2012, 6:38 PM
no deal!

VictorFranko
12-21-2012, 6:40 PM
Mods, please move this to the 1A forum :p

Harrison_Bergeron
12-21-2012, 7:13 PM
I get the joke, but in all seriousness 1st amendment comparisons should be avoided. The 1st amendment is not limitless. Hate speech and threats are not always protected, the grabbers do not see a difference between limiting dangerous speech and dangerous weapons. The 1A comparison is another one that is really dangerous to a discussion/argument with a hostile audience.