PDA

View Full Version : Did the NRA push for backdoor CCWs?

Scarecrow Repair
12-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Color me cynical. I think it comes from years of hardware diagnostics and always looking for sneaky failure modes.

My reading of the NRA presser transcript is that the call for armed guards at schools may have meant volunteers, not just more police, in that he mentioned retired LEO, military, etc. He did mention more appropriations too, but it seemed to me there was a hint of asking for volunteers for the job, possibly with appropriations being for training more than pay.

He also called for an end to gun-free zones, as I read it.

My devious thoughts immediately turned to the obvious idea which many have brought up, of just banning gun-free school zones and letting teachers with CCW carry in classrooms. Why hire special purpose armed guards when you can get the same for free?

And then I wondered a bit more. As much as I despise most of the NRA's political grand standing and scare mongering, they aren't stupid. So I wonder ....

Step 1a: Get rid of gun-free school zones.

Step 1b: Sign up retired LEO and military and other security folk as volunteer armed guards.

Step 2: Get the public acclimated to non-police guarding their schools, especially some who aren't retired LEO. This includes not just ex-4-year military, but civilians with proper training.

Step 3: Introduce the idea of teachers with CCW and proper training.

Am I reading too much into those parts of the speech?

Python2
12-21-2012, 11:11 AM
No, you are not. I was reading it the same way.

Kharn
12-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Press conferences are where you only discuss the highlights of your plan, not the gritty details. How much does a retired fireman know about school security vs someone with a CCW when they would take the same NRA-sponsored school security volunteer class? ;)

Davidwhitewolf
12-21-2012, 1:15 PM
Heh. From the second part of the transcript, after LaPierre handed it off to Asa Hutchinson:

The second point I want to make is that this will be a program that doesn't depend on massive funding from local authorities or the federal government. Instead, it'll make use of local volunteers serving in their own communities.

In my home state of Arkansas, my son was a volunteer with a local group called "Watchdog Dads," who volunteer their time at schools to patrol playgrounds and provide a measure of added security.

Whether they're retired police, retired military or rescue personnel, I think there are people in every community in this country, who would be happy to serve, if only someone asked them and gave them the training and certification to do so.

steve91104
12-21-2012, 1:26 PM
:popcorn:

CEDaytonaRydr
12-21-2012, 1:41 PM
And then I wondered a bit more. As much as I despise most of the NRA's political grand standing and scare mongering, they aren't stupid. So I wonder ....

Step 1a: Get rid of gun-free school zones. The Dems will never let it happen, no matter how many times we point that logical flaw out to them.

Step 1b: Sign up retired LEO and military and other security folk as volunteer armed guards. I am a veteran and decorated "Small Arms Expert" USAF. My record is clean and I still hold a clearance. I would be glad to volunteer in my community. Still not going to happen, though; the Dems won't allow it because they'd have to admit they are wrong (which they never do)

Step 2: Get the public acclimated to non-police guarding their schools, especially some who aren't retired LEO. This includes not just ex-4-year military, but civilians with proper training. The public isn't the problem, it's the law-makers. This issue is like any other political issue in this country. 1/3rd of the people approve, 1/3 of the people oppose, and the last 3rd doesn't know enough/care enough to decide either way.

Step 3: Introduce the idea of teachers with CCW and proper training. This "cliche'" is already being refuted by the "Regressives". To be honest with you, I don't really approve of that solution either. Considering the caliber of people in the So Cal schools (rapists, molesters, etc.), I don't want half of them to have guns, and the other half are going to be too stupid to figure out how to use one effectively. Besides, how are they going to ban the rest of our guns if they don't provide the bad guys with more opportunities to kill people? ;)

You're not "reading into it" at all but I still think that those solutions are not going to be considered. (See bolded above)