PDA

View Full Version : Two AR's, one is dedicated .22 - Bullet button question

Losd619
12-21-2012, 1:44 AM
I know that rimfires are not required to run a bullet button, but what if I were going to the range with my full size AR & my dedicated .22?

Could the LEO just say I would be able to swap the lowers back n forth therefore it's illegal? Thanks in advance

the86d
12-21-2012, 2:06 AM
You could also swap complete lowers and uppers of completed rifles, or remove the BB from the AR and that would be illegal too, where do they draw the line?
Many have similar plans for idle stripped lowers.

My FFL told me that until you put something on the lower, constructive possession=n/a when I asked about this, but we all know what they say about FFL info...

Pistol uppers are a no-go unless complete, many here say.

I would guess that you should be good in this case, as if you don't remove the BB from the 5.56, then you would probably would want to stay legal and not swap lowers/uppers illegally if you were to be taken to court.
However, people have been illegally arrested for less, and had to pay lawyer fees for police not knowing the law, in the past..

stix213
12-21-2012, 6:05 AM
There is no constructive possession problem with having those two rifles at the same time. LEOs can "say" anything, because they often don't know the law, but claiming there was a constructive possession problem here would be incorrect.

shooting4life
12-21-2012, 6:31 AM
I don't have a bb on my 22lr ar. I put a piece of PVC pipe in the buffer tube instead of the spring. So this way a 223 upper cannot be used on the 22lr lower.

Losd619
12-22-2012, 12:44 AM
I don't have a bb on my 22lr ar. I put a piece of PVC pipe in the buffer tube instead of the spring. So this way a 223 upper cannot be used on the 22lr lower.

not possible for me to use a pvc pipe with my setup. Need a functioning buffer with my taccom pressure plug.