PDA

View Full Version : Luger serial number 7 taken from a German officer in Italy 1944

Knifemaker
08-13-2007, 6:24 PM
My grandfather just passed down two pistols, one to my father and one to my uncle that he brought back from WW2. The luger came from a german officer in a small town in Italy.My gfather was the highest ranking officer in this small town when the war ended, he was told to go disarm the highest ranking german officer that was holding up in a small hotel. When he confronted the guy he refused to give up his weapons to my gfather because he was lower rank than the german.My gfather told his partner standing next to him to rack the slide on his Thompson, he did and that german officer could not empty his holster fast enough.... Anyway we were checking out this Luger the other day, its just about new mint condition with some minor holster wear but the strange thing is it looks to be serial number 7.It has a single 7 on almost every large part of the gun. Did they have many serial number runs? Is this gun worth more because of the ultra low serial number? Any info greatly appreciated. I will get some pics of it in the next week or two.
Thanks
Matt

mur
08-13-2007, 7:21 PM
First off let me say I don't know JACK about the value of that Luger.
However if that's a true story I'll consider that pistol priceless:)

Relic
08-13-2007, 8:20 PM
Matt, great story, You know who to call if you ever need to get rid of that good WWII stuff. Wish I knew more about that single digit

Fjold
08-13-2007, 8:40 PM
Google "Luger collector forum" and see what comes up. There are for real experts all over the net. The only thing that I would say is not to give your address or take up anyone's offer to appraise it in person. Also don't sell it unless you get a number of independent opinions.

Knifemaker
08-13-2007, 9:59 PM
Its not mine to sell at this point, I hope some time in the far distant future it will be and even then it still wont be for sale:D

They also had to shoot a cow with a Thompson for food, another great story....Iam luck in that Iam 38 and have a great relationship with my grandfather. I have learned alot from him, and still do.
Matt

xrMike
08-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Great story. Pictures as soon as possible, please! :D

pogo
08-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Glad the Luger was kept in a family that will appreciate it and its connection to all of you. I wish some of my relatives had kept some of their wartime mementos in the family. What was the other pistol your Grandfather passed down to your Uncle?

Here's a good board, registration may take a day or so to be approved.
http://luger.gunboards.com/

aplinker
08-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Its not mine to sell at this point, I hope some time in the far distant future it will be and even then it still wont be for sale:D

They also had to shoot a cow with a Thompson for food, another great story....Iam luck in that Iam 38 and have a great relationship with my grandfather. I have learned alot from him, and still do.
Matt

I'd trade any priceless firearm to have my grandfather back. You are blessed indeed.

Awesome stories and exciting puzzle. I'll look forward to hearing any updates about the pistol and its serial #.

saki302
08-14-2007, 1:08 AM
Any other markings on the pistol, especially on the top toggle link, like S/42, DWM, or some other mark? There may or may not be a date on top of the chamber too.

I know many different factories produced them- sicne the early 1900s through the 1940s, I think.

-Dave

leelaw
08-14-2007, 2:09 AM
Sounds like a fake. I'll take it off your hands for $500. :D

Really, that's a nice story. I'd hold onto that piece forever, and am interested in hearing any more history about the piece, or pictures.

sigguy552
08-14-2007, 4:30 PM
7 is just the production number in that series. In it of itself, it doesn't really mean anything. Take a look at the toggle mark(byf, s/42, etc) and the date stamped on the chamber. The true serial number is actually located underneath the barrel. It should be a 4 digit number with letter suffix. I can give you an approximate value if you PM me the pertinents. Also, are the mags matching to the serial number on the gun?

zinfull
08-14-2007, 8:29 PM
The lugers were numbered by year and maker. An example is WWII P08 mausers were started with S/42 K and the serial number started at 1 - 700a, then came S/42 G serial numbers 700a-6500f, then S/42 1936-1939 serial numbers 6500f - 5200r, ect. There are three time periods which this may be from. So if you give us the numbers and markings on the gun we will be able to tell more. Over all a single digit does not have that much more value. sigguy is correct, the true serial number is located under the back of the barrel and it can be anything from1-9999 with or with out a suffix letter.

Jerry

Jerry

rkt88edmo
08-14-2007, 8:41 PM
pics!

Blue
08-14-2007, 8:44 PM
Have your grandpa write out the story on how he got it. There was a PPSH for sale a couple years on one of the sites that had a bringback letter with it on how the soldier got the weapon. I don't remember how the story went but the only reason I remember the PPSH was because it had a letter :o I'd imagine it'd add alittle value to it, and as it gets passed on the story won't get twisted whichever way the teller wants to tell it :D

Stuka
08-15-2007, 7:07 PM
My grandfather recently became ill, and my mother found his metals when cleaning out his apartment. He served in germany and the pacific. She didn't know what all the metals were, only that he has a pile of them. I will have to look when I go up and visit her again. From what she said some metals look to be german.

You make sure you father and uncle keep those things safe :)