PDA

View Full Version : Sharps replica goes click, not bang

wtkaiser
12-20-2012, 4:49 PM
Guys, I know I've asked this before on these pages, but I use too much hair grease and things slip my mind (old joke). My 1874 "Armee Sport" Sharps replica either needs a new firing pin or some slick technique to use it until I can spring for a new pin. Anyway, it cocks all right, but then when you pull the set trigger, it doesn't fire. I've been told the 1874 has a weak firing pin by design, and I've been told that is nonsense, but some inverting of the piece while I cock it can restore it to functionality. That strikes me as nonsense too.

I am going to hit the range tomorrow or at least soon - can someone offer some advice on how to get this wonderful piece of steel to fire? How much should I expect to pay a smith to replace a firing pin in an 1874, or does that depend on the manufacturer?

arnie19
12-20-2012, 5:58 PM
Have you taken the firing pin out and looked at it ? They are simple to take out .

wtkaiser
12-20-2012, 6:28 PM
No...That thought had never occurred to me. When it comes to guns, I am not a natural, and I'd be leery of screwing it up. If it's all that easy, talk away and we'll see how good your instructions are.

Crunch130
12-20-2012, 9:22 PM
That, and what do the firing pin strikes look like on the primers? If they look obviously weak, you should have an idea where to start looking.

Crunch

TRAP55
12-20-2012, 10:04 PM
On double set triggers, you pull the rear trigger until it clicks, then the front trigger is set, you pull the front to fire. You may already know that, but I just want to be clear on what the malfunction is.
If that doesn't work, something broke or came apart. I know these rifles inside and out. If you're in traveling distance of Dixon, I'd be happy to check it out for you, and the Yolo Range is 15 mins away to test fire.
The firing pin has an offset design from being redesigned, from a percussion rifle to a centerfire cartridge rifle. Where the hammer strikes is where the percussion cap nipple used to be.
Here's a manual with instructions and pics to pull the breech block. With the block out, the firing pin pops right out.
http://stevespages.com/pdf/charlesdaly_1874_sharps.pdf

6mmintl
12-21-2012, 5:20 AM
If in the bay area I ccan help you, I have three pedersoli's and have worked on various other mfg's.

Fairly simple.

wtkaiser
12-21-2012, 6:46 AM
Thanks guys. But I am in Riverside, so it appears we are going to do this remotely! I will go pull it out of the safe and maybe prime a case or two and see what happens.

wtkaiser
12-21-2012, 7:03 AM
Well, that was very helpful. Apparently my fp is fine, but not sticking out as far as it should. A cleaning and tightening should get it going again. Thanks for all the help. It has taught me something and saved me some bucks. Now on to the double-set triggers!

Alan Block
12-22-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm in Orange County and would be happy to help. You could also see the people at Walker 47 on Orangethorpe in Anaheim (i think)

wtkaiser
12-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Walker '47 is a wonderful store, and I have brought this into them twice, since they originally sold it to my wife.

I took it to the range today and it worked like a charm except for the set triggers. Pin strike was firm and obviously adequate. I am very happy, and thanks to all. It's almost as good as getting a new gun, this has been out of action for so long.

TRAP55
12-28-2012, 1:43 PM
PM sent.