PDA

View Full Version : Look what I got today

dotchoy
08-13-2007, 2:04 PM
Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the "Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007" (H.R. 1022). I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

In 1994, the Omnibus Crime Bill was signed into law. This bill banned the transfer or possession of semi-automatic assault weapons for a period of ten years. Semi-automatic assault weapons are weapons of war that do not belong on the streets or in our communities.

As you may know, the assault weapons ban expired in September 2004, despite several attempts to re-authorize it. Since the ban was allowed to expire, criminals are now able to obtain the most dangerous types of military-style assault weapons.

Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) investigations increased from 31 assault weapons cases in 2003 and 31 in 2004 - the last two years of the ban - to just 13 cases in 2005, and only 1 case in 2006. Since the ban expired, the ATF has essentially stopped investigating assault weapons cases. Local law enforcement must deal with the results. In Houston, Texas, where homicides were up by 25% in 2006, Police Chief Harold Hurtt has stated that the AK-47 assault rifle has become "kind of a weapon of choice" for warring gangs, major drug distributors and immigrant smugglers. Even in California, where state law bans assault weapons, we are seeing the negative impact of the Federal assault weapons ban's 2004 sunset. California's Department of Justice reports that in 2006, 2,054 weapons were seized in the state, including 1,008 assault weapons. Approaching 50% of weapons seizures, this number is far higher than the 33% seen in previous years.

These numbers answer the argument of critics that criminals will obtain and possess assault weapons regardless of what laws Congress passes. However, according to Department of Justice data, the number of assault weapons that were declared off-limits, and which were traced to crime, went down dramatically after the assault weapons ban - down by 66% from the pre-ban rate.

While I am aware that some argue that the 1994 ban had only limited effect, with the ban expiring, we are left with monthly, weekly, and even daily accounts of killings and maimings that occur because these weapons have fallen into the wrong hands. These weapons are not just a law enforcement problem. They are a homeland security and counterterrorism problem. We need to take action to ensure that assault weapons cannot simply be purchased by a terrorist operative, drug cartels, or others in preparation for attacks within the United States.

The bill you reference, H.R. 1022, is currently pending before the House of Representatives and there is no Senate counterpart. While this may be an issue on which we disagree, please know that I do value your opinion. Be assured that should the Senate debate this or similar legislation in the future, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Once again, thank you for your letter. I hope you will continue to keep me informed on matters of importance to you. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

chiefcrash
08-13-2007, 2:31 PM
...strange. This letter looks almost IDENTICAL to another letter someone else on calguns got...

it's almost like this response came from a can of some sort....

interesting...
[/sarcasm]

JesseXXX
08-13-2007, 2:36 PM
I got the same thing a couple weeks ago....

CCWFacts
08-13-2007, 2:43 PM
Hey I'm unique! I got a different one:

http://californiaccw.org/files/feinstein-letter-2004-small.jpeg (http://californiaccw.org/files/feinstein-letter-2004.jpeg)

But that's from '04

thomasanelson
08-13-2007, 2:55 PM
Orwell "1984" !

We must protect you from yourself and the enemy. If you disagree with the police state, you are the ememy. "These weapons are not just a law enforcement problem. They are a homeland security and counterterrorism problem. We need to take action to ensure that assault weapons cannot simply be purchased by a terrorist operative, drug cartels, or others in preparation for attacks within the United States." Remember, your rights ensured by the Constitution are not as important as the security of the state. I look forward to your views and any further comments will be addressed by my representatives speaking to you personally...in Guantanimo Bay.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

ldivinag
08-13-2007, 4:59 PM
whatever you do, dont write BOXER!!!!!!

i emailed her site asking about her 2nd amend stance.

got a canned responsed... but then i started to get spam from her!!!!!!!!