PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Piazza of Frontsight offered to pay for teacher training

Guntech
12-20-2012, 3:53 PM
http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com/2012/12/20/front-sight-special-blog-larry-pratt-schools-cnns-piers-moron-i-mean-morgan/

Good read, Dr. Piazza says he would pay for teachers to be trained.

Since the day after the Columbine shooting in 1999, I have been publically advocating two solutions to protect our children from mass murder.

Initially my two solutions were taken as being too radical and self-promoting, even though I offered to back my solutions with my wallet and train every teacher on my dime, free of charge.

Well, a dozen school shooting later, the most horrific of those being the recent Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, my solutions are now being championed by law enforcement, legislators, and everyone who can look at the situation in a rational and intellectual manner.

Since 1999 I have said the solution to STOP school shootings is a two pronged attack…

Arm and train teachers and school administrators to be the first line of defense against lunatics bent on murdering our school children.
Ban the prescription of psychiatric drugs that are the root cause of the homicidal and suicidal acts of kids and adults alike, as evidenced by the fact that prior to the creation and mass distribution of these killer psychiatric drugs, we were a nation of unrestricted gun ownership and had ZERO school and mall shootings.

a1c
12-20-2012, 3:54 PM
Hmmm...

This guy is always up for free publicity.

I don't mind the idea. I'm just not a fan of Piazza's self promotion practices.

Guntech
12-20-2012, 4:01 PM
Not promoting him, just posting it.

LiquidFlorian
12-20-2012, 4:59 PM
I think Dr Pizza is over blowing the perscription drug use with today kids. As a father of a special needs son with autism and ADHD his meds have been a life saver. Another aspect though is that the asylum system was still in place and people were involuntarily committed back in the day. All of the recent mass shootings were perpetrated by guys that should've been institutionalized.

ramathorn
12-20-2012, 5:07 PM
I like that he'll pay for the training of teachers. They should take him up on that, its one hell of an offer. FrontSight isn't cheap! It would be a huge help if the teachers weren't scared of guns and actually understood how they can be used responsibly to protect the innocent.

OleCuss
12-20-2012, 5:20 PM
I'm no huge fan of the good doctor, but whether or not this is a self-serving offer, I hope a bunch of people take him up on the offer. It'll be good training and it may some day save some lives.

jojo8080
12-20-2012, 5:27 PM
I may take him up on the offer. Sounds interesting. I to don't like the correlational fallacy of medication use and shootings, as for most of those using these drugs are able to function more fully in their communities and pose no, or less, harm when medication is used.

Maestro Pistolero
12-20-2012, 6:05 PM
Piazza is a snake oil salesman, but he's really, really good at at it. This is PR genius. Unfortunately the only training that would have the slightest prayer of being accepted by the bureaucracy is POST (Police Officer Standards and Training).

If a teacher also happens to be a fully trained, vetted and sworn police officer, I fail to see the downside. LE/teachers are a promising and interesting solution. it would take a special breed, but they are out there. The altruistic motivation of many (probably most) teachers and police officers is something they already have in common.

Also, with powers of arrest, a teacher could go 'hands on' with a student exhibiting other (somewhat less dangerous) illegal behavior such as assault, where a teacher might risk termination and/or a lawsuit. Here, qualified immunity might support just the kind of tough love some students are missing in their lives.

Gunlawyer
12-20-2012, 6:37 PM
The CNN anchor resorts to ad hominum attacks b/c he cant argue against real facts.

Guntech
12-20-2012, 6:43 PM
Piazza is a snake oil salesman, but he's really, really good at at it. This is PR genius. Unfortunately the only training that would have the slightest prayer of being accepted by the bureaucracy is POST (Police Officer Standards and Training).

If a teacher also happens to be a fully trained, vetted and sworn police officer, I fail to see the downside. LE/teachers are a promising and interesting solution. it would take a special breed, but they are out there. The altruistic motivation of many (probably most) teachers and police officers is something they already have in common.

Also, with powers of arrest, a teacher could go 'hands on' with a student exhibiting other (somewhat less dangerous) illegal behavior such as assault, where a teacher might risk termination and/or a lawsuit. Here, qualified immunity might support just the kind of tough love some students are missing in their lives.

Doubt it, those kids usually need a more 24/7 type discipline. Most of those kids need to be in a Military institution to make up for the lack of discipline their whole lives before they end up in Prison.

T Mac
12-20-2012, 7:41 PM
At least he has the stones to speak up for what he believes in. I've attended several Front Sight coarses, and they do a good job of instructing the average individual on the safe handling and operation of firearms. Time for us pro-2A folks to remind the rest of the country why it is important....

MP301
12-22-2012, 6:03 PM
This is a good idea and from experience I can say that the training is very good. I really hope teachers take him up on it, whether their schools let them carry in the end or not.

I've seen a few on the fence anti gun teachers (and every other profession you can think of) do a complete change in their thought process after going through a 4 day FS class. Its pretty amazing when you see the lightbulb go off over their head.

huntercf
12-22-2012, 9:18 PM
I like that he'll pay for the training of teachers. They should take him up on that, its one hell of an offer. FrontSight isn't cheap! It would be a huge help if the teachers weren't scared of guns and actually understood how they can be used responsibly to protect the innocent.

I'm a teacher, does that mean I get free training? BTW, I have owned guns since I was 8 years old and know how to use them. I have taken numerous teachers and administrators out shooting and several of them have gone out and purchased guns. A few of them have mentioned that they feel some of us should be armed at school to protect from crazies that may come onto our campus. You would be surprised how many teachers own guns, go hunting and have conservative views.

agent.5
12-22-2012, 9:19 PM
is he paying for the ammo as well?

acegunnr
12-22-2012, 9:29 PM
I'm a teacher, does that mean I get free training?

http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com/2012/12/16/front-sights-monday-blog-i-told-you-so-in-1999-and-every-year-since/

Here is a quote from the above article:

"Front Sight will once again offer free firearms training to any school administrator, teachers, or full time staff members designated as school Safety Monitors.
Front Sight will accept for training up to three staff members from each school, college or university.
Applicants must submit a letter requesting training on school letterhead signed by the top school district official and designating the applicant as the school’s Safety Monitor.
Please forward this e-mail to your state and federal legislators, local law enforcement departments and your child’s school administrator, as well as your friends and family, asking them to do the same."

GunTrainers.net
12-27-2012, 2:17 PM
If a teacher also happens to be a fully trained, vetted and sworn police officer, I fail to see the downside. LE/teachers are a promising and interesting solution. it would take a special breed, but they are out there.

I very strongly object to the notion that only sworn police officers should be armed for self defense and defense of the innocent. That Statist notion is contrary to the reality that millions of Americans receive training and carry firearms and use them effectively - often more effectively than a "sworn police officer".

That same notion was raised in discussions about allowing pilots to resume carrying firearms to defend their aircraft from hijackers, something they routinely did until the 1960s. And they weren't sworn police officers - they were just Citizens, like you and me. Piazza offered free training for all pilots. The Government wouldn't go for it.

YOU ARE responsible for law enforcement and you are a first responder, even if you don't wear a badge and uniform. The moment a criminal attack begins, and you're on the scene, you are the first responder. You (hopefully) uphold the law by using whatever force is necessary to stop the criminal attack. It is your duty as a Sovereign Citizen to uphold the law when your public servants are not present and able to do so.

Israel demonstrated the correct method of protecting children against determined attackers. They trained and armed their school staff. After a few Jihadis were gunned down by janitors and teachers, the rest decided to seek easier targets than an Israeli school. They have taken adult responsibility for protecting their children for decades.

They are not some "special breed". They're common people, like you and me, who learned some easily acquired skills. Handling a firearm effectively is even easier than driving in city traffic.

Nearly every person qualified to drive an automobile is also qualified to handle a firearm responsibly. True, many school teachers have been conditioned to freak out and go into spasms of terror at the mere sight of a gun - even a picture of a gun drawn by a student. However, it's time they matured just a bit and took some adult responsibility for defending themselves and their charges - instead of joining the children on the list of helpless victims.

That's not too much to ask.

Take special note of every politician trying to further the murderous "gun free" agenda. It has already brought us a series of massacres and they are trying to expand it. They seem to need a lot of dead innocents. They are not our friends.

Doheny
12-28-2012, 1:11 AM
Hmmm...

This guy is always up for free publicity.

I don't mind the idea. I'm just not a fan of Piazza's self promotion practices.

Yup.

I think he knows he won't be flooded with applicants, especially considering they need a letter from the top school district official.