PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Star Model B? Tell me about it.

SamGoldstein
12-20-2012, 9:55 AM
Do you like it? Is it accurate? Do you have extra magazines for it? Can you shoot hi pressure commercial loads with it?

Thanks for any info.

Sam

C&Rtrader
12-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Got one from AIM a year or so ago. I got unlucky. Barrel was bulged and needed to be replaced, needed new springs as well. FTE every other shot.

Shoots very well though. accurate as heck (it does have a new barrel now). I really like the weight and feel of it.

I run 124gr through it. no high pressure loads.

I do have an extra mag. new commercial one which works well

SamGoldstein
12-20-2012, 1:37 PM
Got one from AIM a year or so ago. I got unlucky. Barrel was bulged and needed to be replaced, needed new springs as well. FTE every other shot.

Shoots very well though. accurate as heck (it does have a new barrel now). I really like the weight and feel of it.

I run 124gr through it. no high pressure loads.

I do have an extra mag. new commercial one which works well

Couldn't you return it to AIM and get another?

Mike A
12-20-2012, 4:27 PM
The 9mm Para Model Bs were substitute standard in the German Army in WWII. The first shipments got through from Spain, but the Normandy Invasion and invasion of southern France cut Spain off from its (de facto) ally and stopped shipments from Star and Astra to Germany. The rest of the Model Bs, which had been paid for by the Nazis, were later re-sold to the West Germans for police guns, so Germany paid twice for some of the Model Bs.

Some of the Bs were also sold to Germany's ally Bulgaria during the war, and many of those have been stamped with fake German waffenampt acceptance stamps and sold as Nazi issue weapons.

There are also "B Supers" which are for 9mm Para, and are the later version of the Star which uses a quick takedown system like the BHP. They look very much the same as the original B, but are marked "B Super" on the heel of the butt.

In my experience neither of the B models is quite as reliable feeding as the A models which were designed for the 9mm Largo--the B is a quickie wartime conversion without the necessary design changes for the shorter round and the B Super was a quickie conversion to get the business when the Spanish joined NATO and needed to conform with NATO standards. Ammo is easier to get for the Bs, tho.

I very much like the slim profile of the Star "1911-like" pistols. For me they all handle better than an original 1911 or the BHP.

C&Rtrader
12-20-2012, 6:30 PM
Sam- was super busy when pistol arrived, i had it for almost 6 months before i shot it and realized ut had problems. They were long sold out by then.

Double G
12-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Nice pistols, compared to the 1911 mine has a wider front sight, which I like, one thing is the trigger "rocks" unlike the 1911, so it tends to pinch a little.

SamGoldstein
12-21-2012, 11:31 PM
I think I'll pass on this pistol. The bhp sounds like a better choice.

mygun
12-25-2012, 4:39 PM
Will standard 9mm 1911 magazines function in the Star-B ?
Or does one need to get Star-B mags only?

thx

mygun
12-25-2012, 4:42 PM
Will standard 9mm 1911 magazines function in the Star-B ?
Or does one need to get Star-B mags only?

thx

LCU1670
12-25-2012, 5:04 PM
I got one, the safety didn't work, just got its replacement, cleaned it last night. Now have to get out to the range.

C&Rtrader
12-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Mygun- no they take stara b mags and they are not cheap.