PDA

View Full Version : My primary weapon for an event

TheChief
12-19-2012, 8:26 PM
So, I have been saving up for an AR platform and am ready to buy...only I cant find anything anywhere now.

I have been checking around the past couple of days and there are no ARs to be had anywhere I look. Budsguns is completely out of ARs of all makes as is Cabelas and all the local shops.

I was going for a Larue or an LWRC nope, none available...not gonna happen for a long time now.

NOT on the ban bandwagon, just blown away that they are all gone out of ready stock.

ocmsrzr
12-19-2012, 8:37 PM
There are a couple of OBRs and a PredatAR in the marketplace, right now.

Fern
12-19-2012, 8:38 PM
Check Turners.

Onetyme
12-19-2012, 9:12 PM
Buy out of state & have it shipped to your favorite FFL. You still have options.

ThemBastards
12-19-2012, 9:21 PM
Have you tried ar15sales.com?

edit haha never mind. 16 week backlog on orders. Got a time machine? Best bet might be to find an upper and lower separately or check the marketplace on here.

cycle61
12-19-2012, 9:27 PM
Overpriced, but cheaper than the local places, and still in stock: http://quentin-laser.com/store/index.php?cPath=2&osCsid=peo79fogeh2efjcp5v34tiqo03

ThemBastards
12-19-2012, 9:28 PM
The worst part is if i were a manufacturer I would be halting production until I find out exactly what new restrictions would be placed. This is a downward spiral, ammo will start becoming more and more expensive because people aren't able to buy new rifles so sales will dip, mass production will drop as the market dictates. no bueno

jyo
12-20-2012, 12:22 AM
You can still find brand new (improved) Ruger Mini 14s for decent prices---under $800 for stainless, less for blued---these take 10 rd mags here in Kalifornia, larger in other states. A good all-around rifle that doesn't look so tactical and doesn't need a bullet-button. Just something to consider...

MikeinnLA
12-20-2012, 12:53 AM
You can still find brand new (improved) Ruger Mini 14s for decent prices---under $800 for stainless, less for blued---these take 10 rd mags here in Kalifornia, larger in other states. A good all-around rifle that doesn't look so tactical and doesn't need a bullet-button. Just something to consider...

+1 That's always been my AR alternative.

Mike

the86d
12-20-2012, 4:43 AM
Just about 2 days before the end of the world is not the best time to buy something that might be banned 2 months from now... especially since there is a 10 day wait. :)

Some of us saw a pothead pinko-commie become president, and were proactive (one DROS, multiple skill). ;)

Eldraque
12-20-2012, 4:53 AM
If you dont have a few ARs already and lots of ammo, then dont even bother trying. prices and availability are ridiculous. stock up on what you already have, or buy some guns/ammo that are, and will be, still available, even if the ban happens

12 gauge
.22Lr
pistols
bolt actions

the86d
12-20-2012, 5:07 AM
Hell, my local Walmart had ZERO 22lr in stock, the shelf was completely empty aside from <10 boxes of 22short. I got those @3.change/box. Maybe they will shoot out of my 10/22... but in the mag? I'll find out today. :)

frigginchi
12-20-2012, 5:21 AM
Big 5

TheChief
12-20-2012, 6:19 AM
I am well stocked on what I have and have plenty...This was going to become my new (milspec +) primary.

My main point was being amazed that there are none to be had anywhere I have looked and I have looked far and wide.

I did come across a PTR91 at Buds but they did not list the model type and wasn't what I was looking for. Besides that one, no other 10+ round rifles.

mt4design
12-20-2012, 6:31 AM
Big 5

Yeah, I was surprised to see even they are selling ARs now.

I was going to suggest this in the interim...

http://www.sportsshoppings.com/image/cache/data/Base%20Bats/Easton%20XL2%20BBCOR%20Bat%202012%20(-3)-500x500.jpg

No waiting period and available, probably on sale.

Why not get a stripped or full lower and what ever upper? There are vendors here in the commercial sales section who manufacture uppers to your specs.

Mike

TheChief
12-20-2012, 6:50 AM
...Why not get a stripped or full lower and what ever upper? There are vendors here in the commercial sales section who manufacture uppers to your specs. Mike

Cause ah aint that smert

I have not given a custom build that much thought so not aware of what's really possible. My "sense" is once you go down that path, you need a much deeper dive into the minutia to make a custom build worthwhile. Also, I would need to determine if it would be better for me to do the work rather than a shop.

I like what I see on the rifles and could only see doing some furniture upgrades so am not seeing a value...other than they don't seem to be available...

Taidaisher
12-20-2012, 8:06 AM
Yeah, I was surprised to see even they are selling ARs now.

I was going to suggest this in the interim...

http://www.sportsshoppings.com/image/cache/data/Base%20Bats/Easton%20XL2%20BBCOR%20Bat%202012%20(-3)-500x500.jpg

No waiting period and available, probably on sale.

Why not get a stripped or full lower and what ever upper? There are vendors here in the commercial sales section who manufacture uppers to your specs.

Mike

1st. Go with the bat. According to the FBI database, bats are responsible for more homicides per year than any other weapon.

2nd. Let me know if you find stripped lowers available. I'm in Santa Clarita and have checked everywhere I could find within 150 mile radius, and have found 0. There was 1 place yesterday (10% firearms in Taft) that had 12 stripped lowers in the morning, that were sold completely sold out by 3:30pm. A friend of mine tried to get them to place a few on hold for us, tried to give them a credit card number to run the sale and hold it while we drove out there), and they said they were too busy to do that.

Steve1968LS2
12-20-2012, 8:23 AM
Plenty for sale in the marketplace.. not much over retail.. consider it your "procrastination tax"

lol

speedrrracer
12-20-2012, 10:24 AM
If you really want one now, I guarantee you can find one, but it might only be the higher-end ARs that the panicky buyers can't normally afford. I have been close to clicking "Add to Cart" on such an AR for about a week now, and it's still available today.

Having said that, if you have adequate defensive preps, now is a terrible time to buy, unless you want a high-end AR. The normal, value-oriented ARs are pretty much all sold out. No legislation will go into effect any time soon. You've got 6 months - a year and maybe more. Maybe no legislation will be passed at all. So buy this spring or summer, and you'll be fine (and save money on the 'panic tax' people are paying now).

In a way it's good news. The firearms industry will be rolling in money, and they'll want that income stream to keep flowing. They will therefore lobby hard to prevent bans.

Lastly, I think you're vastly overestimating the difficulty in building your own AR. There is no deep dive into minutiae -- these are parts you need to know even if you buy one off the shelf, since you'll have to clean the rifle at some point anyways. If you intend for this rifle to serve you in a SHTF situation, you want & need that level of familiarity with the weapon anyways, so it's really the only way forward, imo, for a prepper. Maybe you could take an AR gunsmith course as another option, but you get my point.

If you can change the oil on your car, you can build an AR with just a few youtube videos under your belt. Remember, they're made to be field-serviceable by grunts. Worst case, buy the parts, and take them to a gunsmith for assembly. Watch him and you'll feel an overwhelming sense of, "Crap, I could have done this..."

Iskra
12-20-2012, 2:16 PM
The stores aren't "out" of anything... they stashed it all in the back room and will trickle it out little by little at huge markups. Gun shops will make their year off this.

Norcalkid
12-20-2012, 2:24 PM
Might help if you posted your location. I was at a gun store today that had an AR in stock and supposed to have 10 receivers(-2 I prepaid for) here by the 1st. So I say post your local and maybe some fellow CGers can help you out.

Norcalkid
12-20-2012, 2:30 PM
PS I did my first build about 3 weeks ago (LR308) but it basically still the same to build. Took me about 2.5 hrs to build using nothing but a couple internet resources, a punch, hammer, needle nose pliers and a crescent wrench(upper came complete). It was easy and actually kinda fun.

newglockster
12-20-2012, 2:38 PM
The stores aren't "out" of anything... they stashed it all in the back room and will trickle it out little by little at huge markups. Gun shops will make their year off this.

Which might be enough to keep some of them in business another year or two. CA's laws aren't exactly making it easy for them to survive. :(

Norcalkid
12-20-2012, 2:50 PM
I also just checked the private firearms for sale section here and see a few lowers. No not cheap but whats an extra hundred bucks for something that will last 20+ years(I'm already on 12 with my 5.56).

Taidaisher
12-21-2012, 8:35 AM
Might help if you posted your location.

SoCal (Santa Clarita)

kb58
12-21-2012, 9:46 AM
The thing that bugs me the most is how pro-gun people seem to think that the gun industry is on their side. No they aren't, it's all about money, period. Gun shops pretend to be on our side, throwing around the 2A to get people all wound up that it's their right to have a gun. Since money is involved, be assured they are NOT on "our side" and are monopolizing on the drama to make money. If you substitute "car salesman" for "gun salesman" it'll all become clear. They're playing people's emotions at their expense.

Linh
12-21-2012, 6:50 PM
The thing that bugs me the most is how pro-gun people seem to think that the gun industry is on their side. No they aren't, it's all about money, period. Gun shops pretend to be on our side, throwing around the 2A to get people all wound up that it's their right to have a gun. Since money is involved, be assured they are NOT on "our side" and are monopolizing on the drama to make money. If you substitute "car salesman" for "gun salesman" it'll all become clear. They're playing people's emotions at their expense.

Well if they aren't on our side then they'll be car salesman without an empty car lot.

Onetyme
12-21-2012, 8:12 PM
I've built every M4 I've owned. Simple process. Buy quality parts and put them together. I have a few extra lowers for future use.

Gabriel80
12-22-2012, 12:35 PM
My primary weapon will be this:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/3rd1/Zombie1.jpg

and these:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/3rd1/EDC_Ninja_Outside.jpg

HAHHAHA JK (sort of)

Cali-Glock
12-22-2012, 2:42 PM
My primary weapon will be this:

and these:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/3rd1/EDC_Ninja_Outside.jpg

HAHHAHA JK (sort of)

Hmmm I see several California felonies here... :(

Mighty_
12-22-2012, 4:06 PM
Hmmm I see several California felonies here... :(

right?

whats up dude, you got these at your summer home in nevada? :D

Ninety
12-22-2012, 4:16 PM
wV8P036A_ao or you can get one of these and mount it on your roof. 20mm

Gabriel80
12-22-2012, 5:53 PM
right?

whats up dude, you got these at your summer home in nevada? :D

oh those aren't mine... that's a photo I found online! :innocent:

But I heard from a friend, you can buy all that stuff in L.A.'s China Town.

cudakidd
12-22-2012, 7:48 PM
Pssttt...M1 Carbine...just sayin' (I have two)...no bullet button, .357 ballestics, preban mags, light recoil...

SuperX
12-23-2012, 7:19 PM
always thought of picking up an old camp carbine in 9mm... just a thought.

Falstaff
12-23-2012, 10:19 PM
always thought of picking up an old camp carbine in 9mm... just a thought.

Excellent choice as is the M1 carbine; OP might consider the far superior M1 Garand at 625, the deal of the frickin century right now (before the anti's discover the utter evil of the CMP....) not to mention that Greek HXP 30.06 is CHEAPER THAN ANY .223 IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW shhhhhhhhh!!

Leveraction may be a good alternative too until the AR insanity passes...

ElvenSoul
12-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Hi Point or KelTec Sub 2000 in 9mm and sharing same mag as pistol is a good idea.

VZ58 is a damn good choice as well very light and super dependable.

If the bucks LRB

badreligion
12-23-2012, 11:08 PM
The CMP shows lots of good ammo in stock right now. .223, .308, 30-06, 22lr all at decent prices.

Building an AR is pretty simple. Finding the one you want for a decent price is the problem right now.

Bobby Ricigliano
12-24-2012, 2:17 AM
You couldn't have picked a worse time to try to buy an AR-15.

RuggedJay
12-24-2012, 7:53 AM
Mossberg500 combo $250 at big5

RuggedJay
12-24-2012, 8:03 AM
Wow. Should have bought them when they were dirt cheap. Trying to buy an AR now is a waste of time and money. They are selling for way more than their actual value because of people hoarding them. Goodluck.

bruss01
12-24-2012, 9:11 AM
The CMP shows lots of good ammo in stock right now. .223, .308, 30-06, 22lr all at decent prices.

Building an AR is pretty simple. Finding the one you want for a decent price is the problem right now.

Their .308 is $175 per 200 rounds, plus $11.95 shipping and handling. So, basically, nearly a dollar per round.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/ammo.htm#Atomic

Nice to know you can get it if you need it. Fortunately I don't "need it" that badly. I'm sitting on two cases of lithuanian 7.62 NATO and another few hundred rounds of Argentinian surplus.

hnoppenberger
12-24-2012, 11:43 AM
you were pennywise and pound stupid. should have put it on the credit card when they were as cheap as they ever were gonna be.

Steve_In_29
12-25-2012, 1:40 PM
Pssttt...M1 Carbine...just sayin' (I have two)...no bullet button, .357 ballestics, preban mags, light recoil...While the 30 Carbine 110gr round has similar FPS as the .357 158gr round when both are fired from a rifle, the terminal energy is much better with the .357 due to its higher bullet weight and wider frontal area.