View Full Version : Reciprocity

12-19-2012, 4:33 PM
So I've been thinking about this, and it led me to a couple questions. I ask them genuinely, because I really don't know the answer to them.

What authority do States have to choose to not recognize licenses granted in other states? If our driver's licenses and marriage licenses remain valid in other states, how, under the Interstate Commerce Clause, can States like California deny recognition of a valid, duly authorized concealed carry permit from another state? For purposes of legal strategy, isn't this a bit like the gay marriage debate? Democrats and liberals say that those rights should be afforded and recognized in all 50 states (and I think they are in some fashion or another), so why can states choose not to recognize a concealed carry permit issued by another state as invalid?

12-19-2012, 9:27 PM
Its not the Commerce Clause that applies, but Article. IV.

Section. 1.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

But politicians don't read or follow the Constitution, so they don't care.

12-19-2012, 9:28 PM
Is this something that is being discussed for possible future legal challenges?