View Full Version : Unloaded gun not ready for self defense?

12-19-2012, 4:06 PM
Elsewhere on the internet, I have encountered a gun grabber who is claiming that a law which required guns to be stored unloaded would be constitutional because an unloaded gun is suitable for self-defense. (Apparently the threat of the gun is enough to keep the rampaging zombie hordes away ... because bluffs always work).

I know that the DC law which Heller struck down required guns to be unloaded in the home. However, the actual decision seems to have spoken only directly to the trigger lock requirement.

I'd be flabbergasted if somehow the courts decided that you could have a fully functional firearm for self-defense, but that the definition of a fully-functional firearm includes 'unloaded, ammo stored elsewhere.' Still, I'm wondering if this exact point has come up in federal court yet. Are any of the carry cases making the argument that a gun must be loaded in order to be considered functional? Has any other case out there pushed on this exact argument as yet?

I'd really like to be able to point to some solid legal decisions/briefs in order to shut this guy up.