PDA

View Full Version : CNN Poll: Bare majority now support major gun restrictions

tiki
12-19-2012, 12:22 PM
According to the poll 52% say they favor major restrictions on guns or making all guns illegal.

Nearly eight in ten favor gun restrictions laws and 62% support a ban on semi-automatic assault guns and also high-capacity ammunition clips. Fifty-two percent oppose a limit on the number of guns an individual can own.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/19/cnn-poll-bare-majority-now-support-major-gun-restrictions/?hpt=hp_t2

robcoe
12-19-2012, 12:28 PM
And a lot of that is transitory, now we need to work to flip it, make it 48 for to 52 against.

kalalp
12-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Sooooo...
Lets have a poll to see if we should make violent video games illegal.
Or a poll to to see if media should be allowed to get in your face while you are in mourning.

Moonshine
12-19-2012, 12:43 PM
1) ex post facto laws are unconstitutional. 2) Heller case made the 2nd amendment an individual right. 3) only a constitutional convention can change the constitution and last I heard more than 2/3 of states are red states. There are gonna be a lot of interesting court cases this upcomming year.

Bargearse
12-19-2012, 12:55 PM
52%? Ehh. This doesn't carry a lot of weight. With time, support and lobbying. We will see fall way below.

Right now, this polling is all based on emotions, anger and confusion. Lets work on hard facts and with logic to win them over to our favor

tiki
12-19-2012, 12:59 PM
52%? Ehh. This doesn't carry a lot of weight. With time, support and lobbying. We will see fall way below.

Right now, this polling is all based on emotions, anger and confusion. Lets work on hard facts and with logic to win them over to our favor

I didn't write the poll guys, just posted it for you to see. :)

socal2310
12-19-2012, 1:00 PM
I think it's rather telling that the article doesn't mention what questions were asked, much less exactly how they were phrased.

Regulus
12-19-2012, 1:07 PM
Really? They polled 620 people (on December 17th and 18th) and they suggest this is how all of America feels (+/- 4 percentage points)?

Regulus
12-19-2012, 1:08 PM
Really? They polled 620 people (on December 17th and 18th) and they suggest this is how all of America feels (+/- 4 percentage points)?

surfish95747
12-19-2012, 1:12 PM
Those with a political agenda to get rid of guns and those who just plain hate guns are using these tragic events as a cover for their legislature. They have been trying make guns look dark and scary and now have the perfect opportunity. I say shame on them for using this event as their platform.

Much more than a gun in a safe needs to be changed in this country if we want mass killings to stop. This poll, if accurate (which I doubt), was pure emotion, and people are not stopping to think about the consequences.

Regulus
12-19-2012, 1:25 PM
This poll, if accurate (which I doubt), was pure emotion

Agreed. As was my last post. I shouldn't let CNN push my button like that.

I'm a little embarrassed.

a1c
12-19-2012, 1:27 PM

That's actually a fairly representative number. Most national polls usually are conducted with 500 to 1,000 people.

The questions are too vague anyway.

strangerdude
12-19-2012, 1:37 PM
I haven't taken CNN seriously ever since Amber Lyon exposed them for the filtered media that they are.

safewaysecurity
12-19-2012, 1:45 PM
You can tell by the way these questions were askes and reported that it was done to get the highest antigun answers possible.

CEDaytonaRydr
12-19-2012, 1:54 PM
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics...

I took classes in political research methodology. I can flip statistics from one side, to the other. I gurantee you that CNN's population sample was not "random".

formerTexan
12-19-2012, 1:58 PM
Another poll:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159422/stop-shootings-americans-focus-police-mental-health.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=All%20Gallup%20Headlines%20-%20Politics
Americans are most likely to say that an increased police presence at schools, increased government spending on mental health screening and treatment, and decreased depiction of gun violence in entertainment venues would be effective in preventing mass shootings at schools. Americans rate the potential effectiveness of a ban on assault and semi-automatic guns as fourth on a list of six actions Gallup asked about.

formerTexan
12-19-2012, 1:58 PM
double tap, and sorry to Librarian, you posted this in another thread as I posted this.

Fyathyrio
12-19-2012, 3:45 PM
Funny how these media polls never seem to ask if the glorification of these incidents in the media are in any way culpable.

kaligaran
12-19-2012, 5:38 PM
'Gun control' is an easy way to say 'we need to find some way to keep crazies from killing our kids'.

Even my 77 year old mom who still lives back in TN said to me the other night 'we need better gun control'.
And when I pressed her to find out why I can't have my EBR she responded that I was not crazy or shooting up kids and that it would be ok for ME to have a rifle, but not the crazies.

Basically what she was trying to say is that we need a way to keep guns out of crazy people's hands. However without giving it any real meaningful thought, people just think it's 'gun control' in general.
Even after a short conversation, my mother who said we needed more 'gun control' acknowledged that the gun itself isn't really the problem.

GrizzlyGuy
12-19-2012, 5:58 PM
Another poll:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159422/stop-shootings-americans-focus-police-mental-health.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=All%20Gallup%20Headlines%20-%20Politics

Americans are most likely to say that an increased police presence at schools, increased government spending on mental health screening and treatment, and decreased depiction of gun violence in entertainment venues would be effective in preventing mass shootings at schools. Americans rate the potential effectiveness of a ban on assault and semi-automatic guns as fourth on a list of six actions Gallup asked about.

A ban may have ended up 4th on that list, but 63% of the people in that poll still thought that "banning the sale of assault and semi-automatic guns" would be very effective or somewhat effective.

Welcome to our new reality.

SwissFluCase
12-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Beware of push polls.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

DonFerrando
12-19-2012, 10:28 PM
If the constitution does what it's meant to do it should'nt matter what a majority thinks about how I am to defend myself. At one point a majority felt women shouldn't be allowed to vote.