PDA

View Full Version : a positive case for logic

calixt0
12-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Well I see a bunch of people telling their stories about how anti gun crowd did this or that. I'm an avid gunner and have been logical to the point where my wife even can't argue with it.

The day after the Conn. shooting a bunch of her co-workers were spouting off the party line about how guns need to be better controlled etc. etc. She stood up and said this makes no sense and laid out the arguments. If murder is illegal yet the man still killed his mother how is making guns illegal going to help?.. Further more if we see a murder with a hammer (by the way not a stated right to own) are we going going to go and "regulate" or "ban" hammers because it can be misused?

They all at least stopped spouting the daitribe.

While I see a lot about keeping silent and it does not good to talk about. I thought it would be a good example of logical conversation not arguing helping to enlighten someones.

KEO
12-19-2012, 1:14 PM
Logic unfortunately is absent in this day and age. Kudos to your wife for making her co workers actually listen to reason instead of following the party line nonsense.

speedrrracer
12-19-2012, 1:24 PM
I suspect that most people just parrot what they hear most recently or most frequently. Some certainly have preferences, and that accounts for the lion's share of the remainder. There are probably a few statistical stragglers who listen to reason...

speedrrracer
12-19-2012, 1:24 PM
I suspect that most people just parrot what they hear most recently or most frequently. Some certainly have preferences, and that accounts for the lion's share of the remainder. There are probably a few statistical stragglers who listen to reason...

Big Ben
12-19-2012, 1:43 PM
I think now is a great time to use calm, rational, logical arguments. While you will never convince a staunch "anti," much of the "we need to control guns" that I have seen over the past few days are from people that don't have much of an interest in guns one way or the other. These types of people don't have a "baked" in response to gun control, and are instead responding emotionally to a tragic event.

In speaking with friends and coworkers over the last few days, I've found that generally rational people (i.e. those that don't have a preconceived gun-ban mentality) understand and are open to logical arguments about the issues. While I haven't changed all of their minds, I think many of these conversations have at least helped them to remove some of the emotion from the conversation, and have helped a number of them to change their minds on the situation.

wicked liquid
12-19-2012, 1:48 PM
In times of tragedy, people must have something to blame. After the Oklahoma City bombing, people had something to blame, the man that planned and executed the bombing. In cases like this, people no longer have a person they can blame, and a firearm is an easy scapegoat because it has no voice to defend itself.