PDA

View Full Version : Widener's SKS "M59"

Caribouriver
12-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Is it worth it? The ad claims it's a "new, unissued type 59". Not sure what that means. Other postings suggest it's a 59/66 with no GL sight and a new barrel without the GL and without a muzzle brake. Going through an 03 FFL with fees, shipping, tax and DROS, the selling price climbs from $375 to about $525 delivered in CA. Assuming it would be a good shooter and have not much collector value, is it worth it?

nastyhabts26
12-19-2012, 1:52 PM
Only worth is what you place on it.
Starting price of $375.00 is not that bad these days.
If it indeed is a model 59 and not the model 59/66 I would get it for myself if I didnt have to pay shipping fees.
I have a couple of model 59's and I love them, they are accurate and reliable you just need to use non corosive ammo or be willing to clean and oil the bore after every outing as these are not chrome lined like some others.

DennisCA
12-19-2012, 1:53 PM
One problem, on their site, it says:
(Was just on there)
"At this time we are not accepting orders for firearms in the State of California"

Caribouriver
12-19-2012, 1:59 PM
It may be incorrect, but a person I spoke to at Widener's last week said they will ship to a 03 FFL in CA

crya79
12-19-2012, 2:04 PM
It may be incorrect, but a person I spoke to at Widener's last week said they will ship to a 03 FFL in CA

Yeah this was all covered in Bobby R's post. Widener's ONLy ships to CA 03 FFLs, and specifically NOT to 01 FFLs, according to all available info. Don't ask why, that's what they do. If you don't have an 03, then you can't have another 03 straw-man it for you either.

hifiguns
12-19-2012, 2:40 PM
Widener's ONLy ships to CA 03 FFLs, and specifically NOT to 01 FFLs, according to all available info. Don't ask why, that's what they do.

The reason they will ship to CA FFL Type 03 is because 03 are exempt from CFLC, Type 01 are not exempt.

CADOJ FAQ (http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs#4)

Widener's doesn't want to hassle with obtaining a Firearms Shipment Approval number from the CADOJ. I think this is the reason many FFL 01's on gunbroker don't want to ship to CA.

Bobby Ricigliano
12-19-2012, 3:45 PM
Wideners ships to FFL03's...for the 18th time. Enough with the FUD.

comblock
12-19-2012, 3:56 PM
why is everyone assuming that these are cutdown versions of 59/66s. Could it be that the Yugoslavs had another variant of the m59 with detachable grenade launchers? check out this link below from gunboards. Its a north vietnamese sks that utilizes a detachable grenade launcher (as compared to the nondetachable models on the 59/66).

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?261889-Type-63-Carbine-North-Korean-SKS

TRICKSTER
12-19-2012, 4:07 PM
why is everyone assuming that these are cutdown versions of 59/66s. Could it be that the Yugoslavs had another variant of the m59 with detachable grenade launchers? check out this link below from gunboards. Its a north vietnamese sks that utilizes a detachable grenade launcher (as compared to the nondetachable models on the 59/66).

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?261889-Type-63-Carbine-North-Korean-SKS

Could be because they are in a 59/66 stock and have the 59/66 gas port.
Either way, AFAIK, there is no way to prove that these are 50+ years old, so receiving one from Wideners a 03FFL in CA risking criminal charges and your license.
Basically, in this situation assuming that the are anything other than 59/66s without the grenade launcher installed is taking a gamble. DOJ and ATF will not take your assumption as a defense.

And as long as you are using Gunboards as a source, you should read these threads, one of which gives info from someone that actually bought one.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?293585-Widener-s-New-Yugo-59-s
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?294375-Asking-the-experts-Widener-s-Yugo-SKS-%28unissued%29-Opinions&p=2392382#post2392382

comblock
12-19-2012, 4:31 PM
Thanks for the links trickster. Although i still think that those on gunboards are still assuming it a cutdown version. My theory goes as follows: out came the m59, your regular sks with no gl. HQ gets word that the troops need a gl to lob stuff to the enemy. No problem. Lets outfit some of the existing m59s with an adjustable gas valve and issue out a detachable gl that you can put on. The troops come back to HQ and says thanks for the m59s with the GLs but we keep losing those damn detachable ones. Could you make one with a nondetachable GL with integrated sights? Out was born the 59/66. IMO
now with regards to transferring. I agree with you that the risks far outweigh the benefits.

Caribouriver
12-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone. I had thought that my LGS's 01 trumped a 03. Wrong again. I stand corrected. If I want to be sensible for a moment, I have to admit I need a set of tires more than this SKS. sigh

Bobby Ricigliano
12-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the links trickster. Although i still think that those on gunboards are still assuming it a cutdown version. My theory goes as follows: out came the m59, your regular sks with no gl. HQ gets word that the troops need a gl to lob stuff to the enemy. No problem. Lets outfit some of the existing m59s with an adjustable gas valve and issue out a detachable gl that you can put on. The troops come back to HQ and says thanks for the m59s with the GLs but we keep losing those damn detachable ones. Could you make one with a nondetachable GL with integrated sights? Out was born the 59/66. IMO
now with regards to transferring. I agree with you that the risks far outweigh the benefits.

They are assuming it is a cut down version because it is a cut down version. Your theory on their creation is interesting. Complete nonsense, but interesting.

comblock
12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Is it cutdown by whom? The importer? The manufacturer? I wish i could get my hands on one and compare it with my 59/66s and m59s.

bohoki
12-20-2012, 12:59 PM
they are cut downs just look how the bayonet works

the 59s are just russian copies in 66 they added the cut off and that caused them to redesign the bayonet they put on night sights

i'm thinking that they did this prior to importation to the us since the launcher sight is removed as well (probably the front night sight as well) maybe they heard 59s command more money and fooled some importer/distributors

it dont matter now theys is all out

but they got the chinese one that came from under that rock

aghauler
12-20-2012, 7:36 PM

Have you looked at Wideners site showing the picture of these "unissed" M59s? The photo I saw showed a SKS with a definate metal ring behind the muzzle, just where the ring would be if you took the GL off of a M59/66. Plus they don't have that GL sight illustrated in your link, which is VERY similar to our 1903, Garand, M1 Carbine, US Model of 1917 GL sight. Now THAT I found interesting.