PDA

View Full Version : Binocular Vision Possible With These???

10TH AMENDMENT
08-12-2007, 7:00 PM

bruce_ventura
08-12-2007, 8:41 PM
I've played around with 1X - 1.5X magnification scopes for fast target acquisition with both eyes open. If you really want to target with both eyes open, I recommend that you stay as close to 1X mag as possible. The higher the magnification, the more your brain will rely on the dominant (right) eye picture and ignore the left eye picture.

I'm sure you are aware that no telescope can come close to a good red dot (reflex) sight for ease of target acquisition. The telescope eye-box is just not wide enough. Even with a 1X mag scope the target picture becomes occluded when the eye gets close to the edge of the exit pupil. By comparision, in a reflex sight the entire target picture and red dot are visible right up to the point that the target and red dot disappear into the inner wall of the sight. Also, the telescope cannot focus on the front sight, so co-witnessing the iron sights through the scope field of view is not possible. A typical eye relief of ~3" places the eyepiece so close to the eye that the dominant ey cannot see around it, and the scope itself creates a large blind spot for the left eye (although this problem is overcome if the shooter is trained to always look through the sight and move the rifle to look left or right). I've found it better to place the 1X sight in the scout position (in front of the rear iron sight). A 1X telescope in this position has a smaller field of view, compared to a red dot sight.

aplinker
08-13-2007, 9:18 PM
Hmmm... I'm not sure I'd say that. People do it all the time CQ with ACOGs. I have a 1-5X cheapie I do both eyes open with and don't really see an issue.