View Full Version : I'm in the process of drafting a letter to my representative.

Papa Whiskey
12-19-2012, 9:09 AM
Can anyone direct me to some stats or graphs regarding how well our CA assault weapons ban effected gun/ violent crime, if at all?

12-19-2012, 9:17 AM
Here is the DoJ report on the impact of the Federal AWB from 1994. https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/173405.pdf

Key findings:

● The research shows that the ban triggered speculative price increases and ramped-up production of the banned firearms prior to the law’s implementation, followed by a substantial postban drop in prices to levels of previous years.
● Criminal use of the banned guns declined, at least temporarily, after the law went into effect, which suggests that the legal stock of preban assault weapons was, at least for the short term, largely in the hands of collectors and dealers.
● Evidence suggests that the ban may have contributed to a reduction in the gun murder rate and murders of police officers by criminals armed with assault weapons.
● The ban has failed to reduce the average number of victims per gun murder incident or multiple gunshot wound victims.