PDA

View Full Version : One take on Parker/Heller outcome

hoffmang
08-12-2007, 5:58 PM
This is one take that's amusing from Kenneth Jost. He writes it as if it were the opinion of the court:
http://public.cq.com/docs/cqw/weeklyreport110-000002570870.html

There are a couple of problems with this becoming real. I doubt Thomas will let Kennedy write this. I also expect that our side will brief a whole lot of evidence that the ban has been quite ineffective. Finally, I agree with commentators on Volokh.com that I expect some higher scrutiny than rational basis.

-Gene

Bizcuits
08-12-2007, 6:11 PM
We learn from other submissions that guns are used in slightly more than half of suicides in the United States

So suicidal people won't kill themselves if they don't have gun? I think my IQ is actually getting lowed by reading articles of this nature.

Osprey
08-12-2007, 6:37 PM
Kenneth Jost has raised dullness to a fine art.

Piper
08-12-2007, 6:59 PM
eeeeeeyeah.....makes me glad this guy isn't a justice on the court. Although, his commentary certainly makes me think he wishes he was.

EastBayRidge
08-12-2007, 7:09 PM
What leapt out at me was the following...

"Sadly, violent crime is today very much a part of daily life. And criminals have at their disposal weapons more lethal and less cumbersome than the muskets, rifles and single-shot pistols of the Revolutionary era. Americans, however, do not confront this threat on their own. Today, modern police forces — well trained, organized and equipped — provide the principal protection of individual security."

I can't see a bald assertion like this being made without SOME reference to Deshaney v. Winnebago City (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=489&invol=189) or Castle Rock v. Gonzalez (http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:Th2tg8xpFI4J:a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/27jun20051200/www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/04pdf/04-278.pdf+Castle+Rock+v.+Gonzales&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a). You know, the cases saying how all those "well trained, organized and equipped" (ie, well-regulated !) police forces maintained by the State impose "no duty on the State to provide members of the general public with adequate protective services"...

Piper
08-12-2007, 7:56 PM
Scary isn't it.

Fate
08-12-2007, 10:06 PM
well trained, organized and equipped provide the principal protection of individual security."
Hmm...I think many calgunners are "well trained, organized and equipped" to provide their own principal protection of individual security. I know I am.

Sad that the sheep are actually surprised when bad men do bad things to them when their plan for self-defense is to wait 20 minutes on hold after dialing 911.

Piper
08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
As bad as it sounds,maybe more sheeple shoud be attacked by the influx of criminals from out of state and out of country. That might make them converts.

aileron
08-13-2007, 6:14 PM
From the author:

We cannot say, however, that individual self-defense is obsolete, nor outside the current scope of the Second Amendment whatever its original meaning may have been.

How can one reason something if they don't know what its meaning is they are trying to reason. Or worst, as what this quote implies, what they choose to ignore.

I like it,

"We cannot say, however, that electricity is obsolete, nor outside the current scope of technology, whatever its original purpose may have been."

bridgeport
08-13-2007, 6:36 PM
Continents have been won and lost with muzzleloaders, swords, and lances.
Notice how these boobs always try to make it sound as if any form of violence or confrontation was invented in the last century. As for suicide,
that should be widely supported by liberals as personal choice self abortion.
Also, by the way, most people are exposed to violence on a daily basis while watching T.V. which somehow is now considered real and therefore qualifies these dweebs to claim society is more dangerous, after all .... I really saw it
on the tube . What a joke.

Rob P.
08-14-2007, 11:33 AM
THIS is the part which shows that the commentator actually has no idea about what he is discussing.

When the Bill of Rights was written, the United States was a largely agrarian society with no organized police services; defense of self, family and home were an individual’s responsibility. Even in cities, and all the more so in the countryside, violent crimes were not a part of daily life

Violence in early America was an every day occurrance. From highwaymen to maurading indians to pirates, crime was pretty rampant in the early years. It wasn't some sort of pastorial scene with peaceful cows in every pasture and pretty sunsets. Death happened every day and you had to be prepared to deal with it. Self defense with firearms was de rigour.

It wasn't until the mid 1800's that gun control became an issue. Well after the country was established and only for reasons of self interest by the "ruling class" and peace officers - unarmed citizens are easy for law enforcement and govt to control.

Piper
08-14-2007, 11:45 AM
As for suicide,
that should be widely supported by liberals as personal choice self abortion.

This is a very valid point, they agree with assisted suicide and abortion. But if someone uses a firearm, that somehow makes suicide wrong.

Good call.