PDA

View Full Version : There's Hope! "Slow Joe" to Lead Administration Anti-Gun Efforts [Obama press conf]

Drivedabizness
12-19-2012, 7:22 AM
At least the other side isn't putting their best and brightest our front...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/dec/19/obama-taps-biden-lead-gun-violence-curb/

Stonewalker
12-19-2012, 7:25 AM
Had to laugh when I saw this. But seriously, don't ever underestimate a foe. (A political foe in this case).

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles;
if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one;
if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

ScottB
12-19-2012, 7:43 AM
Biden was one of the more ardent gun banners back in the 70's and 80's. He is no stranger to the issue and still has a lot of influence in the Senate and not much else to do.

Like Stonewalker said, don't underestimate him. He's a buffoon, but he's not Dan Quayle

SPUTTER
12-19-2012, 7:46 AM
I see this as a glimmer of hope. Is it me or does Obama seem a bit standoffish about gun control? I mean, he just gave the task to the court jester.

glbtrottr
12-19-2012, 7:47 AM
In this case, Joe the Bumbling Idiot is entirely dangerous.

I said it a week ago. I've said it before and I'll say it again - confiscation and seizures are coming. There is talk about the Supreme Court, there is talk about agencies, and even the punchline of a constitutional amendment.

Watch the punchline of the Obama ego be the introduction of a constitutional amendment, alongside with Roberts selling out like he did on Obamacare.

Curley Red
12-19-2012, 7:56 AM
You guys keep making fun of Joe, but your making a big mistake to think he really is an idiot. The guy is actually pretty smart, smart enough to become vice president of the United States. But keep your hatred of the left blinding you to the truth.

And as ScottB stated, he knows what he is doing and he will be hard to beat.

chead
12-19-2012, 8:07 AM
More focus on mental health access, culture of violence, begins in the home.

Bi-partisan commission led by Biden to create proposals. "Most Americans" support bans on "military style assault weapons" and "high capacity ammunition clips".

Supports individual right to bear arms, background checks on all gun purchases.

tcrpe
12-19-2012, 8:09 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is launching an administration-wide effort to curb gun violence, underscoring the growing political consensus over tightening gun restrictions following the horrific massacre at a Connecticut elementary school.

Obama is tasking Vice President Joe Biden, a longtime gun control advocate, with spearheading the effort. In remarks from the White House on Wednesday, Obama will outline a process for pursuing policy changes following the school shooting, though he is not expected to call for specific measures.

The president has vowed to use "whatever power this office holds" to safeguard the nation's children after Friday's shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn. Twenty children and six adults were killed at the school by a gunman carrying an arsenal of ammunition and a high-powered, military-style rifle

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-press-policy-changes-shooting-110109788--politics.html

Mad Scotsman
12-19-2012, 8:09 AM
He also said it starts at home. Be a responsible parent.

jl123
12-19-2012, 8:10 AM
I think I'm going to ****ing puke.

Sbasham
12-19-2012, 8:10 AM
And so it starts. We are going to be taken over and this will bad.

Mad Scotsman
12-19-2012, 8:12 AM
He wants it done by January.

chead
12-19-2012, 8:13 AM
He wants it done by January.

He wants proposals. Legislation won't happen that quickly.

Zimz
12-19-2012, 8:14 AM
How do they know what "most" Americans want? I didnt take part in any poll. Last time I checked, over half supported fewer gun laws!

Mad Scotsman
What about an EO?

Sillyguy
Freedoms stripped.

nocomply25
12-19-2012, 8:16 AM
There is going to be more laws trying to sneak in behind this for sure. Lets just keep on fighting.

CHIEFone
12-19-2012, 8:17 AM
^^^ agree

Dakine_surf
12-19-2012, 8:18 AM
As much as Biden is a complete and utter joke, I would think it foolish to under estimate him and the Administration.

formerTexan
12-19-2012, 8:22 AM
What about an EO?

Executive Order

EDIT:
The press seems more interested in the fiscal cliff, judging from the first 2 questions asked.

CEDaytonaRydr
12-19-2012, 8:24 AM
He's been a long time gun-grabber. While I agree he's a complete dufus, he's going to have a lot of help, from a long line of people who are ignorant to gun violence statistics, as well... :rolleyes:

glbtrottr
12-19-2012, 8:25 AM
The press is more interested in the fiscal cliff because they see additional underhanded gun control as a foregone conclusion. Given a fraudulent election and Obama's win, along with the entire press corps' help with it, I would tend to agree.

Meplat
12-19-2012, 8:28 AM
Obama has just announced that Joe Biden will head up a commission to study the gun violence problem. That is generally what politicians do when they want to look like they are doing something but really just want to give it time to go away, and for public awareness to ebb. We need to stay vigilant and engaged but I think this eruption may go dormant without blowing its top. He is actually spending more time talking taxes and spending and the fiscal cliff than guns! ;)

jimmer
12-19-2012, 8:30 AM
He passes it off to Joe so he can go to Hawaii on our dime....

CEDaytonaRydr
12-19-2012, 8:30 AM
They are not going to be approaching this objectively. They are going to be approaching it as a public relations mission. The commission is going to decide on what to ban, and how to ban it. THE END.

Mad Scotsman
12-19-2012, 8:31 AM
This is the first speech I have sat through from Obama, and I have to say he is not the great speaker people say he is.
I guess the fiscal cliff is more important than talks about gun bans.

bosh
12-19-2012, 8:33 AM
From Fox news on the topic:

Most likely it is because it was Biden who was the lawmaker who made the original ban possible. As a longstanding proponent of gun control, Biden had pushed an assault weapons ban through the Senate in November 1993, only to see it flounder in the House. The Long Island shootings the next month provided the impetus, with Clinton’s help, to pass the legislation the next year.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/19/biden-no-joke-on-gun-control/#ixzz2FWJITDTh

glbtrottr
12-19-2012, 8:37 AM
This is not a commission - he's going to do this with his cabinet and push forth

a) executive order
b) departmental regulation
c) supreme court case review
d) constitutional amendment
e) new legislation

1) Assault weapon prohibition.
2) 10 round magazine limit nationwide
3) Elimination of the gun show loophole in every state, period
4) Additional taxation and permitting of existing guns leading to tracking every existing gun

....."I don't think I've been on Vacation"...Barack Obama, 12/19/2012

chead
12-19-2012, 8:37 AM
Given a fraudulent election and Obama's win, along with the entire press corps' help with it, I would tend to agree.

This is the first speech I have sat through from Obama, and I have to say he is not the great speaker people say he is.
I guess the fiscal cliff is more important than talks about gun bans.

He passes it off to Joe so he can go to Hawaii on our dime....

Please stick to the topic.

Meplat
12-19-2012, 8:39 AM
We have our share of GLTV folks on this forum. They are by and large staunch allies. No need to throw rocks and piss ’um off.

i thought there was a law(s) passed prohibiting such a thing...:facepalm:

damnable laws now are anti-family...gay marriage, abortion...gays adopting children...those are a direct assault on traditional family values are they not?

this country has abandoned traditional, historical and Godly laws and tradition...now, the "Chickens are coming home to roost."

and of all people to head up a "Commission"... Joe Biden? good grief...he should be in an institution himself...he's got problems...

gazzavc
12-19-2012, 8:40 AM
They will manipulate the polls, distort the media and start draconian steps toward total disarmament of the population. We will be going the way of England and Australia, and will end up like Mexico where people cannot have guns, unless they are powerful or a drug lord.

Uranium238
12-19-2012, 8:43 AM
So if he forces legislation or an executive order, would there be lawsuits to stop this dead in its tracks? We would have to rally all the troops, so to speak, from the foundations and organizations for a solid argument and case.

frankm
12-19-2012, 8:44 AM
Most commies aren't very intelligent people.

Meplat
12-19-2012, 8:47 AM
He will never get a constitutional amendment. If he takes this very far he will not get compliance.

This is not a commission - he's going to do this with his cabinet and push forth

a) executive order
b) departmental regulation
c) supreme court case review
d) constitutional amendment
e) new legislation

1) Assault weapon prohibition.
2) 10 round magazine limit nationwide
3) Elimination of the gun show loophole in every state, period
4) Additional taxation and permitting of existing guns leading to tracking every existing gun

....."I don't think I've been on Vacation"...Barack Obama, 12/19/2012

Dantedamean
12-19-2012, 8:49 AM
This isn't going to end well. Get your shovels and boats ready.

Lone_Gunman
12-19-2012, 8:49 AM
They will manipulate the polls, distort the media and start draconian steps toward total disarmament of the population. We will be going the way of England and Australia, and will end up like Mexico where people cannot have guns, unless they are powerful or a drug lord.

The :censored: we will. They're not getting my guns.

Uranium238
12-19-2012, 8:50 AM
They will not get mine either!

Rugerdaddy
12-19-2012, 8:50 AM
How will they define "assault weapon"? It didn't work well in California. There's only one way- ALL semi-auto rifles, and I don't believe that would fly in the House, and SCOTUS might not approve, either.

Fellblade
12-19-2012, 8:51 AM
I fear that only means he'll be more influenced by media misinformation. "I was watching True Lies this weekend. Now just imagine if Jamie Lee Curtis dropped that Mac10 in a school. Do you really want that? And lightsabers are FAR too dangerous for the average person, Luke is a trained jedi and lost a hand."

SJgunguy24
12-19-2012, 8:52 AM
Hahahaha, fraudulent election, now that is funny. Thanks for the laugh. :TFH:

Did you look into some of the returns at all? The city of Philidelpha has 59 polling districts and Romney didn't get a single vote, not one, same for Cleveland Ohio. If you don't think that reeks of voter fraud then I got ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.
Every state that tried to purge it's voter rolls of the deceased or people who moved got sued by the DOJ and Eric Holder, same goes for voter I.D. laws. That's the biggest clue right there if you think there was no voter fraud.
If people have to provide I.D. to cash their government checks or any other benefits, why is it too hard to show I.D. to vote?

navycorpsman
12-19-2012, 8:52 AM
Actually reading most blogs and article comments on gun control. The majority of the people do not agree with gun control. This is the ploy to Lie to others to get there support. I think the government will be shocked to see how much america with stand behind Pro gun

ummmmmm456
12-19-2012, 8:54 AM
cnn analysts were reporting it as democratic political death ala the 1994 ban which was deemed a failure and devastated the democratic party after it was signed. reelection as per the report is coming up soon (2 years) and some people don't want to lose their seat in house.

CEDaytonaRydr
12-19-2012, 8:54 AM
How will they define "assault weapon"? It didn't work well in California. There's only one way- ALL semi-auto rifles, and I don't believe that would fly in the House, and SCOTUS might not approve, either.

I don't think a gun ban will pass the house anyway. At least, not without some very forgiving rules for concealed carry, or other gun rights. Any republican that votes for the bill will be given an "F" by the NRA, and have their chances of re-election taken away from them.

Librarian
12-19-2012, 8:56 AM
Let's stick to just one thread, and try to stay on topic.

The real news will come when 'suggestions' are made ...

cyberpuppy42
12-19-2012, 8:58 AM
What the f*** kind of a parent keeps guns in the house accessible to a mentally disturbed teenager who is about to be committed?!? It makes me so angry that one person's complete lack of responsibility is making the rest of us live with the consequences now... Same with Columbine.

SilverTauron
12-19-2012, 9:02 AM
I don't think a gun ban will pass the house anyway. At least, not without some very forgiving rules for concealed carry, or other gun rights. Any republican that votes for the bill will be given an "F" by the NRA, and have their chances of re-election taken away from them.

The NRA won't matter if the average Joe on the street supports more gun control.

Here's some factors which should concern us all. One, they're taking their time with the generation process. We want them to be knee-jerk so we can strike it down in court later.

Two, they're bringing in agencies not usually associated with gun control. Dept. of Health and Human Services is a bad enough bureaucracy on its own. A collaboration between them and the ATF would represent an abhorrent union of oppression that even a former Soviet KGB agent would be discomfited.

Three, Obama's a lot savvier about marketing then Clinton was. If he pitches a European style safe-storage and background check law as a common sense regulation which doesn't infringe on the 2nd Amendment or take away anyone's guns it'll go a lot farther in the Legislature. Don't count on "Gun owners" opposing this much either-outside of the echo chamber of Calguns and other pro gun rights websites very few weapon owners give a damn about the politics. For most casual gun owners filling out a 4473 to buy ammo wouldn't be something worth opposing. Between 2008 and 2012 guns have sold in record numbers year after year. If firearm owners really voted with their rights in mind Obama wouldn't be POTUS after January-yet he won re-election despite all those guns being in circulation.

So , instead of people buying guns and voting for their rights, they buy guns and vote the same way they would have regardless.

navycorpsman
12-19-2012, 9:06 AM

I said it a week ago. I've said it before and I'll say it again - confiscation and seizures are coming. There is talk about the Supreme Court, there is talk about agencies, and even the punchline of a constitutional amendment.

Watch the punchline of the Obama ego be the introduction of a constitutional amendment, alongside with Roberts selling out like he did on Obamacare.

No seizures. Already law passed that its ILLEGAL FOR GOVERMENT TO CONFISCATE GUNS

Dantedamean
12-19-2012, 9:08 AM
The NRA won't matter if the average Joe on the street supports more gun control.

Here's some factors which should concern us all. One, they're taking their time with the generation process. We want them to be knee-jerk so we can strike it down in court later.

Two, they're bringing in agencies not usually associated with gun control. Dept. of Health and Human Services is a bad enough bureaucracy on its own. A collaboration between them and the ATF would represent an abhorrent union of oppression that even a former Soviet KGB agent would be discomfited.

Three, Obama's a lot savvier about marketing then Clinton was. If he pitches a European style safe-storage and background check law as a common sense regulation which doesn't infringe on the 2nd Amendment or take away anyone's guns it'll go a lot farther in the Legislature. Don't count on "Gun owners" opposing this much either-outside of the echo chamber of Calguns and other pro gun rights websites very few weapon owners give a damn about the politics. For most casual gun owners filling out a 4473 to buy ammo wouldn't be something worth opposing. Between 2008 and 2012 guns have sold in record numbers year after year. If firearm owners really voted with their rights in mind Obama wouldn't be POTUS after January-yet he won re-election despite all those guns being in circulation.

So , instead of people buying guns and voting for their rights, they buy guns and vote the same way they would have regardless.

Yes, that's why I'm saying we need to have a big event to help educate people on guns, how useless gun control is, and brand assault weapons as nothing more than a term for a scary looking gun.

It can be done we just need to start now.

Arisaka
12-19-2012, 9:09 AM
I really don't think that "most" people support gun control. It's spin to swing the ambivalent to their side. Nobody wants to be on the losing team! Act like it has overwhelming support, and soon it will.

SWalt
12-19-2012, 9:09 AM
I'm willing to bet that "slow Joe" already has his proposals lined up. It just takes a month to have them printed up (govt is never efficient).

Damn True
12-19-2012, 9:12 AM
I find our current administration utterly loathsome on nearly every level. But I'll at least give them a tiny bit of credit for not going full knee-jerk as some would have them do.

The question is, will the NRA or other 2A advocates be at the table for these discussions to come up with some ACTUAL solutions or is the point to take the time to write a REALLY GOOD (from their POV) gun control law instead of something like the '94 law?

Wiz-of-Awd
12-19-2012, 9:15 AM
At least the other side isn't putting their best and brightest out front...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/dec/19/obama-taps-biden-lead-gun-violence-curb/

...yeah, except - stupid people tend to F things up for the rest of us.

A.W.D.

jdmcgee
12-19-2012, 9:27 AM
We have our share of GLTV folks on this forum. They are by and large staunch allies. No need to throw rocks and piss ’um off.

I don't need god or religion to be a moral person. It's too bad so many of you do. ;)

I would like to publicly thank both of you for making the above comments. These are exactly my thoughts.

Also, in response to many other posts in this thread:

Instead of complaining that a loss of the 2nd Amendment is imminent, we would be more constructive to propose common sense, factual solutions to the problems at hand... if there is a solution at all. At no time during the speech did our President state that his intention was a total loss of our right to keep & bear arms, actually his statements were quite to the contrary. Granted, I know as well as anyone that you can never believe what any politician says. Regardless, we all need to understand that whether we like our government's leaders or not, that doesn't change the fact that they are still in fact our current government's leaders.

For the time being, we should be proposing ways to show the emperical evidence to the powers that be that their suggestions of a ban on semi-automatic firearms, "military-style assault weapons" or high-capacity "clips" would do nothing to lessen any type of firearm-related crime. If we can influence the public & our leaders to accept the facts, they will be forced to find real solutions to the problems... or possibly even accept that there is no firearm-related solution to the problem since these are isolated incidents from mentally ill criminals that have no respect for any firearm-related law anyway.

JDMcGee

scarville
12-19-2012, 9:34 AM
Joe Biden? Isn't he that guy who suffered brain damage during a hair transplant operation?

jdmcgee
12-19-2012, 9:38 AM
Yes, that's why I'm saying we need to have a big event to help educate people on guns, how useless gun control is, and brand assault weapons as nothing more than a term for a scary looking gun.

It can be done we just need to start now.

YES, YES, YES!!! I am trying to come up with some possible plans for just this. I started brainstorming last week, any suggestions for a mass public presence would be greatly appreciated.

JDMcGee

glbtrottr
12-19-2012, 9:55 AM
No seizures. Already law passed that its ILLEGAL FOR GOVERMENT TO CONFISCATE GUNS

Doc,

Since when does a little think like "A LAW" get in the way of this administration? Open your eyes...:)

Yes, confiscation. This will end up with executive order, introduction of a 2nd amendment repeal discussion, supreme court peddling of influence, regulatory reform.

Alinksy's Rules for radicals:

Rule 1: Power is not only what you have, but what an opponent thinks you have.

"I believe in American’s right to bear arms … the fact is, the vast majority of gun owners are responsible … but I am also betting that a vast majority of gun owners agree that we should keep a small few from owning a high-capacity weapon of war."

“A majority support … laws requiring background checks before ALL gun purchases.”

“If we’re going to change things … it’s going to take a wave of Americans … standing up and saying ‘enough’ on behalf of our kids.”

"The good news is there’s already a growing consensus for us to build from. A majority of Americans support banning the sale of military-style assault weapons. A majority of Americans support banning the sale of high-capacity ammunition clips. A majority of Americans support laws requiring background checks before all gun purchases so that criminals can’t take advantage of legal loopholes to buy a gun from somebody who won’t take the responsibility of doing a background check at all."

Rule 2: Never go outside the experience of your people. The result is confusion, fear, and retreat.

"I asked Joe to lead this effort in part because he wrote the 1994 crime bill that helped law enforcement bring down the rate of violent crime in this country.

Rule 3: Whenever possible, go outside the experience of an opponent. Here you want to cause confusion, fear, and retreat...

Rule 4: Make opponents live up to their own book of rules. “You can kill them with this, for they can no more obey their own rules than the Christian church can live up to Christianity.”

"...That plan — that bill also included the assault weapons ban that was publicly supported at the time by former presidents, including Ronald Reagan."

Rule 5: Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon. It’s hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.

"And considering Congress hasn’t confirmed a director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms in six years — the agency that works most closely with state and local law enforcement to keep illegal guns out of the hands of criminals — I’d suggest that they make this a priority early in the year."

"a culture that, all too often, glorifies guns and violence. "

"This is not some Washington commission. This is not something where folks are going to be studying the issue for six months and publishing a report that gets read and then pushed aside."

Rule 6: A good tactic is one your people enjoy. “If your people aren’t having a ball doing it, there is something very wrong with the tactic.”

"But if those of us who were sent here to serve the public trust can summon even one tiny iota of the courage of those teachers, that principal in Newtown summoned on Friday, if cooperation and common sense prevail, then I’m convinced we can make a sensible, intelligent way to make the United States of America a safer, stronger place for our children to learn and to grow."

Rule 7: A tactic that drags on for too long becomes a drag. Commitment may become ritualistic as people turn to other issues.

"That’s why I asked the vice president to lead an effort to include members of my Cabinet and outside organizations to come up with a set of concrete proposals no later than January, proposals that I then intend to push without delay."

"I urge the new Congress to hold votes on these measures next year in a timely manner."

"This is a team that has a very specific task to pull together real reforms right now."

Rule 8: Keep the pressure on. Use different tactics and actions and use all events of the period for your purpose.

"We do know that every day since, more Americans have died of gun violence.

Since Friday morning, a police officer was gunned down in Memphis, leaving four children without their mother. Two officers were killed outside a grocery store in Topeka. A woman was shot and killed inside a Las Vegas casino. Three people were shot inside an Alabama hospital. A four-year-old was caught in a drive-by in Missouri and taken off life support just yesterday.

Each one of these Americans was a victim of the everyday gun violence that takes the lives of more than 10,000 Americans every year — violence that we cannot accept as routine.

Rule 9: The threat is more terrifying than the thing itself.

That if he we work harder to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people there would be fewer atrocities like the ones in Newtown or any of the lesser known tragedies that visit (ph) small towns and big cities all across America every day.

But the fact that this problem is complex, can no longer be an excuse for doing nothing. The fact that we can’t prevent every act of violence, doesn’t mean that we can’t steadily reduce the violence and prevent the very worst violence.

Over these past five days, the discussion has re-emerged as to what we might do not only to deter mass shootings in the future, but to reduce the epidemic of gun violence that plagues this country every single day.

Rule 10: The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative. Avoid being trapped by an opponent or an interviewer who says, “Okay, what would you do?”

this time the words need to lead to action.

We’re going to need on making access to mental health at least as easy as access to a gun.

We’re going to need to look more closely at a culture that, all too often, glorifies guns and violence.

...come up with a set of concrete proposals no later than January, proposals that I then intend to push without delay...

Rule 11: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, polarize it. Don’t try to attack abstract corporations or bureaucracies. Identify a responsible individual. Ignore attempts to shift or spread the blame.

I urge the new Congress to hold votes on these measures next year in a timely manner.

...Congress hasn’t confirmed a director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms in six years ...

...an unbalanced man shouldn’t be able to get his hands on a military-style assault rifle so easily...

There is no single human in the history of this nation more destructive to this country than Barack Obama.

http://usahitman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/fraud-obama-6-735308.jpg

DrjonesUSA
12-19-2012, 10:01 AM

Constitutional amendment just won't happen. I don't think we could get enough states to agree on ANYTHING for ANY sort of amendment, let alone one doing what, repealing the Second Amendment?

I won't say never, but definitely not any time soon.

As for outright confiscation/seizures......bring it.

donny douchebag
12-19-2012, 10:08 AM
I'd be more worried about what's gonna be coming outta Sacramento.

Cali_Tac
12-19-2012, 10:12 AM
The NRA's website says they will be making an annoincement on Friday 12/21/12. Anybody have any ideas what might be forthcoming?

mag360
12-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Watch out for uncle joe. He will be able to seperate out and divide the "elmer fudds" who just want their .30-.30 and .357 and will try and throw us umder the bus. Some say the fudds have learned they would do this and will still oppose new laws. We shall see.

stix213
12-19-2012, 10:21 AM
This is a serious development. Tasks are only handed to the VP to handle if the prez is serious about it. Handing this to an out and out anti-rights gun banner says Obama is ready to double down on this.

I still think a federal AWB is DOA in the house, but that doesn't mean some other terrible bill could not come out of this.

I guarantee Joe is taking this as a mandate to restrict the 2nd Amendment as much as he possibly can.

morfeeis
12-19-2012, 10:35 AM
i thought there was a law(s) passed prohibiting such a thing...:facepalm:

damnable laws now are anti-family...gay marriage, abortion...gays adopting children...those are a direct assault on traditional family values are they not?

this country has abandoned traditional, historical and Godly laws and tradition...now, the "Chickens are coming home to roost."

and of all people to head up a "Commission"... Joe Biden? good grief...he should be in an institution himself...he's got problems...

Thank you, when you force God out you make room for something else.

The :censored: we will. They're not getting my guns.
They cant have my firearms but they can have all my ammo.

cyberpuppy42
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
The NRA's website says they will be making an annoincement on Friday 12/21/12. Anybody have any ideas what might be forthcoming?

End of the world? We'll have to wait and see otherwise.

morfeeis
12-19-2012, 10:40 AM
I really don't think that "most" people support gun control. It's spin to swing the ambivalent to their side. Nobody wants to be on the losing team! Act like it has overwhelming support, and soon it will.
From what i remember it's a spin on a poll that asked "should something be done to stop gun violence in schools?"

Inoxmark
12-19-2012, 10:57 AM

Get over your sense of false security please.

Any law passed by the government can be changed or outright repealed by the same or any next government. They just need enough votes in the senate (have) and in the house (could have) to do it.
No referendums or ratifications required. Puff - "protection law" gone the next morning.

navycorpsman
12-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Get over your sense of false security please.

Any law passed by the government can be changed or outright repealed by the same or any next government. They just need enough votes in the senate (have) and in the house (could have) to do it.
No referendums or ratifications required. Puff - "protection law" gone the next morning.

Not false. It will not come to this at least in my lifetime. If it does, have fun trying to find and get them.

Wiz-of-Awd
12-19-2012, 11:13 AM

End of the World? ;)

A.W.D.

nagorb
12-19-2012, 11:22 AM
I wonder if all the internet commandos over on ar-15 are going to move out of country or fight like they kept saying they would if they lived here:rolleyes:

Really wish i had bought some 80%ers

CEDaytonaRydr
12-19-2012, 11:28 AM
I wonder if all the internet commandos over on ar-15 are going to move out of country or fight like they kept saying they would if they lived here:rolleyes:

I just bought 2 AK 80% receivers. ;)

BroncoBob
12-19-2012, 11:31 AM

Still time to make those purchases Mike.....

glbtrottr
12-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Constitutional amendment just won't happen. I don't think we could get enough states to agree on ANYTHING for ANY sort of amendment, let alone one doing what, repealing the Second Amendment?

I won't say never, but definitely not any time soon.

As for outright confiscation/seizures......bring it.

I've said it before - Odouchebag is not a lame duck: he's running against a timeclock. How much can he damage western civilization before his tenure is up? He's a smart self actualized man who this country has given the tools to accomplish most anything he desires: the mob as a ruling class, the destruction of Judeo Christian values, gays in the military, Obamacare, Illegal immigrants legalized by executive order, ANYTHING.

As for a constitutional amendment: others have posted how Romney got ZERO VOTES in dozens of precincts. ZERO. That is statistically impossible, and the possibility of brad scale election fraud, the elephant in the room that no one wants to be embarrassed about uttering. SCYTL managed some of the tabulation of our previous election; SCYTL is a George Soros company admittedly or otherwise / SOE. A constitutional amendment is just another ego challenge for a Narcissistic Personality Disorder Obama.

I don't think he can get a constitutional amendment repealed.

That doesn't mean that he will not try and settle for what he can get.

The process is here:

"Constitution of the United States of America, Article V: The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article, and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of it's equal Suffrage in the Senate."

Rugerdaddy
12-19-2012, 11:38 AM

I know that some states passed these laws after the Katrina confiscations, but there's been no federal law passed has there?

navycorpsman
12-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Yes there is a federal Law and The Govenator signed it into state law in 2006 if i can remember

Dantedamean
12-19-2012, 12:00 PM
YES, YES, YES!!! I am trying to come up with some possible plans for just this. I started brainstorming last week, any suggestions for a mass public presence would be greatly appreciated.

JDMcGee

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=658694

I made a thread on it yesterday. Let's see if we can get something going.

NoJoke
12-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Biden: "If he [Obama] tries to take my Beretta, he's got a problem"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcyLeOm6yGc&feature=youtu.be

Excelsior
12-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Very sobering quotes from White House spokesman Jay Carney. Emphasis is mine.

"..."People have talked about high-capacity gun ammunition clips, for example, and that is something certainly that he would be interested in looking at," Carney added.

Obama spoke earlier in the day with Democratic Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia, a gun rights advocate who said he would now be open to more regulation of military-style rifles like the one used in Newtown, Connecticut, on Friday.

"He is heartened, I should mention, by what we have all heard from some members of Congress who have been longtime opponents of gun control measures, common sense gun control measures like the assault weapons ban and the like," Carney said..."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/18/us-usa-shooting-connecticut-obama-idUSBRE8BH10W20121218

nagorb
12-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Still time to make those purchases Mike.....

If i had the $, most I'd its been going to my truck. Plus they're crazy $ now anyway. I've got pretty much everything i want.

advocatusdiaboli
12-19-2012, 12:58 PM
I'd rather have someone who gets things done quickly—the faster they complete their laws, the faster we can challenge them. Plus the moe hasty they are, the more prone to error like Yee was. Legislative limbo and glacial law making are not in our interest.

Librarian
12-19-2012, 1:14 PM
The President of the United States has had his first 'at bat'. As a significant and powerful political figure, and as Chief Executive, it's important that we hear him.

But until actual bills are out, please put all the discussion here, in this thread.

The sticky - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=641207 - has been updated to point here for this discussion.

mjmagee67
12-19-2012, 1:25 PM
NEVER underestimate the power of stupidity!

Webologist
12-19-2012, 1:30 PM
You guys keep making fun of Joe, but your making a big mistake to think he really is an idiot. The guy is actually pretty smart, smart enough to become vice president of the United States. But keep your hatred of the left blinding you to the truth.

And as ScottB stated, he knows what he is doing and he will be hard to beat.
No one who has heard this buffoon speak could come to any other conclusion than he's an idiot. That doesn't mean he's harmless and it doesn't mean he doesn't have a following of fools.

1911su16b870
12-19-2012, 1:36 PM
The sad thing is that all this gun ban talk would not have prevented the Sandy Hill tragedy.

Psychos will take what they want and kill irregardless of the law.

Librarian
12-19-2012, 1:36 PM
Perhaps the President chose to 'form a commission' because he had a pre-release copy of this:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/159422/stop-shootings-americans-focus-police-mental-health.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=All%20Gallup%20Headlines%20-%20Politics

PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans are most likely to say that an increased police presence at schools, increased government spending on mental health screening and treatment, and decreased depiction of gun violence in entertainment venues would be effective in preventing mass shootings at schools. Americans rate the potential effectiveness of a ban on assault and semi-automatic guns as fourth on a list of six actions Gallup asked about.

Or, perhaps he saw this - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/12/19/a-gun-ownership-renaissance/ - also based on Gallup data: But then something happened in 2011. Gun ownership spiked to its highest level since 1994 — 47 percent.

The people who suddenly had more guns? Not the white males, the Southerners, and the Republicans most associated with guns. Instead they were mostly Democrats….

If anything, these charts should serve to remind everyone that guns are not a red and blue issue. And gun owners in America are actually pretty diverse — and quite possibly more diverse than they have been in recent decades.

Several pro-gun Democrats have started to nudge the country more toward a conversation about gun control, but voting for a specific measure is another matter entirely.

And it’s not just Middle America where these Democrats have to be concerned about losing votes.

morfeeis
12-19-2012, 2:24 PM
I'm still at a loss, just looked for a lower then looked for a some mag kits. couldn't find anything anywhere.

What law if any do these dumb asses think could have stopped this from happening?

morfeeis
12-19-2012, 2:24 PM
I'm still at a loss, just looked for a lower then looked for a some mag kits. couldn't find anything anywhere.

What law if any do these dumb asses think could have stopped this from happening?

Rightwinger
12-19-2012, 2:38 PM
I can asure you one thing, the NRA Won't be invited

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/19/obama-to-launch-effort-led-by-biden-to-create-new-policies-in-wake-school/

Gun control means control. It means control for the government and the government starts controlling the people.
Luke Scott
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Scott

Guntech
12-19-2012, 2:44 PM
Looks like video game industry is going to get ****ted on too. Partnership coming?

taperxz
12-19-2012, 2:47 PM
http://www.lakeconews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28610:congressman-thompson-to-lead-gun-violence-prevention-task-force&catid=1:latest&Itemid=197

The Politcal Wheels are spinning as we speak. give em hell.

If you want to send letters to a legislator about gun policy this Congressman was appointed to lead the charge by Nancy Pelosi to lead the Democrat side of the isle.

He is a Vietnam Vet, a hunter, and gun enthusiast. This is a bad choice and very calculated by Nancy Pelosi IMHO.

Representative Mike Thompson (D - 01) 202-225-3311 202-225-4335 http://mikethompson.house.gov/contact/

Curley Red
12-19-2012, 2:48 PM
How many times is this going to get posted, seriously. Plus if you think any other president would have done nothing, you are fooling yourself. Even the NRA is willing to talk about gun control issues and probably will be invited since they have stated they are willing to discuss gun control. Plus plenty of republicans have came out and are willing to talk about gun control.

Renaissance Redneck
12-19-2012, 2:53 PM
He said he would protect "law abiding citizens’ right to own legitimate firearms." In addition he says "Military-type assault weapons and assault magazines have no place on our streets or in our communities."

So his opinion is that military-styled weapons are NOT legitimate firearms. What an idiot. It pisses me off when they trot out and highlight someone's military career; a career in which they promised to defend the Constitution; a Constitution which expressly INTENDED military-style weapons to be in the hands of "THE PEOPLE"!

He's a disgrace to the uniform he wore.

formerTexan
12-19-2012, 2:57 PM
yay, another buzz-term:
"assault magazines"
what exactly are those?

Renaissance Redneck
12-19-2012, 2:58 PM
yay, another buzz-term:
"assault magazines"
what exactly are those?

Yeah, pretty funny.

jdmcgee
12-19-2012, 3:00 PM
I'd rather have someone who gets things done quickly—the faster they complete their laws, the faster we can challenge them. Plus the moe hasty they are, the more prone to error like Yee was. Legislative limbo and glacial law making are not in our interest.

advocatusdiaboli, I sincerely mean no offense to you or anyone by this post... We're on the same team & I believe we need to stand undivided for our 2A rights.

Having said that, I am very curious why such a large percentage of CalGun members & firearm owners in general are so anxious to fight a future law after it becomes law? It seems we could more easily band together with one common voice to fight any future laws before they ever get signed into law. If we wait to fight laws in court for the sake of precedence it could take far longer to reach our goal of true freedom. For example, it took about 200 years for the SCOTUS to finally confirm that the 2A of the Constitution was an individual right as opposed to only a right of militias. Don't get me wrong, I agree that litigation for any of our rights is a needed action but it only makes sense that it should be used after nearly every other avenue has been explored.

JD

five.five-six
12-19-2012, 3:01 PM
yay, another buzz-term:
"assault magazines"
what exactly are those?

Those are the magazines that can fire 100 rounds a minute. I am fine with being limited to magazines that can only fire 99 rounds a minute.

taperxz
12-19-2012, 3:03 PM
Here is his record on gun issues and what he does and does not endorse.

He carries a C+ rating.

http://www.ontheissues.org/CA/Mike_Thompson_Gun_Control.htm

Again, this is a direct appointment by Nancy Pelosi in response to BO's "commitee"

Rossi357
12-19-2012, 3:38 PM
Does anyone know what a legitimate firearm is? He is talking out both sides of his mouth at the same time.

lilro
12-19-2012, 3:59 PM
Someone else will be heading this. They put Biden in the spotlight so it looks like he is actually doing something. He'll have someone in his ear.

morfeeis
12-19-2012, 4:19 PM
I'm hoping our keeps of it's track record of saying a lot and doing nothing.

But again what law besides a ban on all firearms (and i don't that that would have stopped this) could have prevented the Sandy shooting?

morfeeis
12-19-2012, 4:19 PM
I'm hoping our government keeps up it's track record of saying a lot and doing nothing.

But again what law besides a ban on all firearms (and i don't that that would have stopped this) could have prevented the Sandy shooting?

glock7
12-19-2012, 6:49 PM
^ nail on the head. Relax folks, it is lip service. I'm not giving up anything and neither should you. ;)

glock7
12-19-2012, 6:53 PM
As our fearless mod has pointed out, let's keep our minds open and mouths closed, let the folks who do this for a living hash it out and they'll let us know what we need to do, to sign and to donate to. Don't give the anti's anything to hang their hat on. Endeavor to persevere....

Drivedabizness
12-19-2012, 7:07 PM
Dudes - Slow Joe has run for President - twice. He's been caught plagurising . He's never garnered over 1% of the vote. He's billed himself as a very bright guy, with academic credentials, that have later been totally exposed as lies.

So all you guys who want to say "we're afraid Bluto, we might get in trouble" (if we oppose Slow Joe) - you simply don't get it. NO ONE outside the beltway media takes this YAWHO seriously. His appointment is a great boon to our cause.

Walking Fire
12-19-2012, 7:54 PM
You Dont have to Worry, Biden will Protect us,..Remember??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBCQXWMOqV4&feature=youtu.be

Capybara
12-19-2012, 8:53 PM
While the Connecticut shootings were horrendous and tragic, so to is the continued slaughter of Mexican nationals thanks to Dear Leader and Dear Leader's number one 'lil buddy, AG Eric Holder

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/12/18/cbs-news-fast-and-furious-gun-found-at-site-where-mexican-beauty-queen-killed/

Ironic that two people who were complicit in the slaughter of an American Border Patrol Agent, a Mexican Beauty Queen and hundreds of innocent Mexican Nationals are shedding tears for these lives snuffed out in Newtown. And just think, this is a man who is going to be sitting in that room with Biden, Feinstein and the others, thinking up ways to relieve us of our firearms. Yeah, this is fair, this is just, this is the American way. This is seeming awfully familiar, we truly have despots and tyrants running this country, I never thought I would live to see the day.

nothinghere2c
12-19-2012, 8:56 PM
its a funny world we live in

Burbur
12-19-2012, 10:32 PM
I've seen lesser drunks make bigger messes...

SanPedroShooter
12-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Perhaps the President chose to 'form a commission' because he had a pre-release copy of this:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/159422/stop-shootings-americans-focus-police-mental-health.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=All%20Gallup%20Headlines%20-%20Politics

Or, perhaps he saw this - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/12/19/a-gun-ownership-renaissance/ - also based on Gallup data:

The media is selling this as a done deal. Even with the perptual democrat apologists on this site going on about 'R's talking about gun control'

Bull****. We can fight this. And we will. The more they open their mouths they more they give away. The more proposals they make they further they dig themselves in.

We know the players, we know what the proposals will be. And I think we will come to know that Americans, left and right, do not agree.

All the people in this 'commission' are klinton retreads and supporters of the first failed ban....

You think this mess will make it through two houses of Congress?

P6gqGDN9rw0

Ron-Solo
12-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Biden was very involved in the 94 Federal ban while in the Senate. He is dangerous to the cause.

408SBFreak
12-23-2012, 8:36 PM
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-any-legislation-will-ban-assualt-weapons-semi-automatic-rifles-or-handguns-and-high-capacity/bjlkvNSf

LovingTheYear1911
12-23-2012, 9:09 PM
Signed. Thanks for sharing