PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Rifle In Wisconsin

Wass93
12-19-2012, 8:24 AM
Hi,

I've never posted here before and am a new member. I've done quite a bit of looking around on these forums and finally decided to post my question. I'm originally from So Cal, and still have my CA drivers license and plates on my truck even though I live in WI. Yes, technically I should register for a WI license, but I do plan on moving back to CA within the next few years and am trying to hold off dealing with the DMV. I understand that a pistol has to be purchased in CA from a CA FFL and in WI by a WI resident, but is there any way to purchase a rifle (AR-15) or really any type of long gun that is CA legal but is outside of the state? I don't plan on coming back to see family until July, and by then who knows what laws will be enacted. Worst case scenario, I either have to come back to CA earlier than I planned or get my WI drivers license and get a CA legal gun and then deal with all the CaDOJ stuff when I move back, which by then may be illegal to own...

I'm not sure if this was the right place to post my question and the fact it doesn't just deal with CA law, but any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you for your patience.

Reading a lot of other posts from members here about how horrible CA is, I'd have to agree. Living in WI has made me realize how great CA can be (we're supposed to get upto 18" of snow by Friday) and how backwards it is compared to the rest of the union.

Thanks for any help!

Wass93
12-19-2012, 8:34 AM
I noticed this is the wrong forum, I meant to post under general discussion.

gemoose23
12-19-2012, 9:09 AM
You should purchase long guns and handguns according to where you are a resident. Military have an exemption, but since you didn't state you are military.

If you are living in Wisconsin, I would check out their firearm purchase requirements and "sniff" test if you are a resident.

If you plan on moving back to CA eventually, it would be prudent and safer (no one can predict what will happen by the time you move back to CA) to use the CGN CA Rifle Ban Interactive Chart (http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi) in the selection of longguns while shopping in Wisconsin, to stop you from purchase an already CA Banned rifle.

Librarian
12-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Right - buy guns where you are a resident, and let that state figure out if you ARE a resident.

See also http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=503873

Dr.Lou
12-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Simple, get a Wisconsin ID card and go buy your rifle.

Wass93
12-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks gemoose23,

I already know I could be a resident here and nope, not in the military. I live with my fiance and we have a house together. I'm just really trying to avoid all the hassle of changing everything over to WI and then back to CA when I move back. I've already done my research with the CA laws in regards to the rifle ban, and yes I definitely plan on purchasing 100% CA legal even if it's in WI...

epic1856
12-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Simple, get a Wisconsin ID card and go buy your rifle.

+1

Get a Wisconsin ID and keep your CA DL & registration.

Wass93
12-19-2012, 10:59 AM
+1

Get a Wisconsin ID and keep your CA DL & registration.

That seemed too good to be true...

Any Wisconsin resident who does not presently hold a valid driver license (from Wisconsin or another jurisdiction) may apply for an ID card. You may not hold a valid driver license and an ID card at the same time. If you hold a valid driver license and wish to obtain an ID card, you will be required to surrender your driver license.

KLF
12-19-2012, 11:46 AM
If you're panic-buying an AR-15, then you know what you have to do. Once you surrender all your California Resident Credentials, get Wisconsin plates, and buy that AR-15, all you need to do under current law is leave your hi-cap mags behind, install a bullet button, and make sure you have an empty 10-rounder in the magwell at all times. There is also an import declaration you must fill out within a few weeks of your return to California, it's on the CA DOJ website. Easy peasy! On Wisconsin!!!!

Decoligny
12-19-2012, 2:14 PM
If you're panic-buying an AR-15, then you know what you have to do. Once you surrender all your California Resident Credentials, get Wisconsin plates, and buy that AR-15, all you need to do under current law is leave your hi-cap mags behind, install a bullet button, and make sure you have an empty 10-rounder in the magwell at all times. There is also an import declaration you must fill out within a few weeks of your return to California, it's on the CA DOJ website. Easy peasy! On Wisconsin!!!!

No requirement to keep an empty magazine in the magwell.
No requirement to fill out the "import declaration" as the AR-15 is a long gun, and there is no "personal firearms importer" requirement to register long guns until 1 January 2014.

gemoose23
12-19-2012, 8:35 PM
Thanks gemoose23,

I already know I could be a resident here and nope, not in the military. I live with my fiance and we have a house together. I'm just really trying to avoid all the hassle of changing everything over to WI and then back to CA when I move back. I've already done my research with the CA laws in regards to the rifle ban, and yes I definitely plan on purchasing 100% CA legal even if it's in WI...

Honestly if you drive on Wisconsin roads register your vehicles and get your ids. Pay your part into the system you will he using. Wisconsin DOT doesn't snow plow for free. :oji:

Besides the DMV fees, drivers license fee, and insurance rates will he cheaper in WI vs CA. And you wont have to wait for 2 hours at the S. Sacramento DMV. :facepalm: (I payed 150 less per year on my car vs registering it in CA after moving)

Just keep a copy of your CA DL and keep your CA vehicle plates. When you move back to CA you can get the dmv to reissue using the same numbers.

Good luck moving back to CA once you own property and have roots in Wisconsin, cost of living difference is crazy.

KLF
12-23-2012, 10:02 AM
No requirement to keep an empty magazine in the magwell.
No requirement to fill out the "import declaration" as the AR-15 is a long gun, and there is no "personal firearms importer" requirement to register long guns until 1 January 2014.

I'm not a lawyer. I double-checked and Point 2 re: DOJ Declaration seems true. That's cool.
Point 2 re: empty 10-rounder in the magwell at all times is something a Firearms Trainer told me a few weeks ago. This Firearms Trainer is most likely not a lawyer either, but he's an old-timer and he's DOJ Certified. It was explained to me that the AR-15 is required to have a fixed magazine in California, and the Bullet Button is an end-around of that requirement. However absence of a magazine necessarily demonstrates that the weapon is not equipped with a fixed magazine. I know this flies in the face of many rifle range practices, but rifle ranges are places where practicality trumps strict enforcement. This old-timer explained that keeping that empty magazine in the magwell during storage and transport satisfies at-a-glance law enforcement inspection and denies due cause to escalate that situation. I go with it because it's totally not hard to keep a short empty magazine in the magwell.