PDA

View Full Version : Post purchase firearm transport

bbl29
12-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Hello, I am a relative newbie, so please bear with me.

Based on what I have read, you are required to transport handguns unloaded, in a locked container (CCW, law enforcement, etc. exceptions aside).

However, is there an exception for carrying the handgun from a dealer to your car that allows you to transport it unloaded but in an UNlocked container?

The reason that I ask is because some handguns do not come with a case that has holes for a padlock or any other form of lock. Technically, to be in compliance with the law, my thoughts are that I would have to transfer the gun to another container, which I would then lock and then walk out of the dealer to my car.

Thoughts?

Stewdabaker23
12-19-2012, 12:18 AM
I always just drive home with whatever box or container that it comes in. Most long guns come in a cardboard box and that's what i take it home in. The gun is in pieces anyways. Just don't get pulled over.

stix213
12-19-2012, 12:26 AM
I always pick up handguns with a backpack and a small padlock. Put handgun case in backpack, zip up backpack, run padlock through both zippers and 3rd point around the top carry handle. You're now good to go.

mrdd
12-19-2012, 12:27 AM
He is asking about a handgun. Long gun should be ok in the original box.

OP, if a handgun does not come in a lockable case, just bring a case which does lock when you pick it up. It is not wise to leave the store without it being in a locked container.

Stewdabaker23
12-19-2012, 2:54 AM
All handguns that I have bought always come with a lockable case but if it doesn't then bring one to put it in.