PDA

View Full Version : BATF HOME BASED FFL SHUTDOWNS

tazmanian devil dog
12-18-2012, 6:03 PM
From a reliable source I have known for 10 years, I was told the following:

At least 2 Virginia and West Virinia FFL Home dealers were sent letters of revocation by the BATF.

NEITHER dealer had any complaints, enforcement action or citations. Both have been in business for 20+ years.

They were shutdown this last November. My source also said that BATF was giving agents a bonus for every home based shop they shut down.

That's all the info I was given. I was asked to post this here and everywhere else I could think to do so.

If B Weiss wants to speak to this source, PM me and I'll provide the sources contact info.

Coded-Dude
12-18-2012, 6:12 PM
Interesting......though sadly unsurprising.

MigNoche
12-18-2012, 6:17 PM
Exactly what Coded Dude said, sadly unsurprising. smh

tazmanian devil dog
12-18-2012, 6:38 PM
Look I'm sorry for having to be all cryptic but I am not about to betray my source. If you guys think I'm full of FUD, check all my threads, have I ever posted anything like this before?

NO

Do your own research. If you can prove me wrong, do so. I welcome it. I hope I am.

Knife Edge
12-18-2012, 6:45 PM
So what is their concern over home based FFLs?

David13
12-18-2012, 6:53 PM
I don't know that they have any concern about home based businesses. If they are legal. Many communities here do not allow a business to be run out of a house. The zoning only allows the house to be used for residential purposes.
If your city is one of those, I understand batf will check, and then you cannot be home based.
You need a city, or local business license and, if you ain't got one, you ain't legal.
dc

jdberger
12-18-2012, 6:56 PM
Please PM your contact info. I've got an inside track to the CGF brass and a great 2A lawyer in Alexandria.

bwiese
12-18-2012, 6:57 PM
I don't know that they have any concern about home based businesses. If they are legal. Many communities here do not allow a business to be run out of a house. The zoning only allows the house to be used for residential purposes.
If your city is one of those, I understand batf will check, and then you cannot be home based.
You need a city, or local business license and, if you ain't got one, you ain't legal.
dc

Yup. And I'd guess many of these people were either
(1) not properly up to local code/biz regulations; and/or
(2) running the business as a 'hobby' and not as a real onging biz.

Both are required to maintain FFL licensure.

taperxz
12-18-2012, 7:00 PM
Yup. And I'd guess many of these people were either
(1) not properly up to local code/biz regulations; and/or
(2) running the business as a 'hobby' and not as a real onging biz.

Both are required to maintain FFL licensure.

An easy bust after an IRS tax audit.

Yankee Clipper
12-18-2012, 7:06 PM

At least 2 Virginia and West Virinia FFL Home dealers were sent letters of revocation by the BATF.

NEITHER dealer had any complaints, enforcement action or citations. Both have been in business for 20+ years.

They were shutdown this last November. My source also said that BATF was giving agents a bonus for every home based shop they shut down.

That's all the info I was given. I was asked to post this here and everywhere else I could think to do so.

If B Weiss wants to speak to this source, PM me and I'll provide the sources contact info.
This is the part that raises the red flag for me: "BATF was giving agents a bonus for every home based shop they shut down." Except in the military I've never heard of the Gov. giving bonuses for anything. And for law enforcement branches it may be illegal or at least impractical under our present departmental culture.

tazmanian devil dog
12-19-2012, 6:46 AM
@Yankee Clipper..... I know. That part doesn't sound right to me either. But I know my friend and believe me, he is in a position to know. I can't divulge what he does for a living because I don't want to get him in trouble. But I'm pretty sure he is spot on about the license revocations. These dealers never had complaints or any issues. Nothing notta and now they r shut down? Something smells.

fizux
12-19-2012, 6:58 AM
This is the part that raises the red flag for me: "BATF was giving agents a bonus for every home based shop they shut down." Except in the military I've never heard of the Gov. giving bonuses for anything. And for law enforcement branches it may be illegal or at least impractical under our present departmental culture.

GS civilians are routinely given monetary awards (quarterly/annual best whatever in the field office, etc). Actually, military cannot receive cash incentive under the current pay system -- they can get ribbons and cool pieces of paper for the "I love me" wall.

I am not surprised. It's too bad.

vantec08
12-19-2012, 7:05 AM
GS civilians are routinely given monetary awards (quarterly/annual best whatever in the field office, etc). Actually, military cannot receive cash incentive under the current pay system -- they can get ribbons and cool pieces of paper for the "I love me" wall.

I am not surprised. It's too bad.

Yes, and that has been extended to state, county, and municipal employees.

SilverTauron
12-19-2012, 7:12 AM
'Incentives' can and are use in government service,just not obvious ones.A Federal agent many not be monetarily compensated for gun busts,but the unit boss can give a nod for a prestigious promotion or assignment to the troop who does the most work.Thats just as effective as a comission,and I can see someone colloquially calling it 'getting paid' .

Kharn
12-19-2012, 8:27 AM
'Incentives' can and are use in government service,just not obvious ones.A Federal agent many not be monetarily compensated for gun busts,but the unit boss can give a nod for a prestigious promotion or assignment to the troop who does the most work.Thats just as effective as a comission,and I can see someone colloquially calling it 'getting paid' .Federal employees receive a performance appraisal each year, which can be used to justify a performance award (one-time cash or a mini promotion, about $2k/yr) and then special act awards can be given for exemplary actions anytime during the year.

I know people that were given $250 special act awards because they attended career fairs and passed out flyers about their organization. Now, the ATF couldn't have the written policy that each FFL revoked warranted a special act award, but the manager could write up the extensive investigation and leadership required of the inspector during the process of revoking an FFL.

-hanko
12-19-2012, 8:56 AM

Clinton caused the same crap to happen in 1994...perhaps absent the agent bonus thing.

An -01 FFL has to have regular business hours, be zoned correctly for his business (which should have been verified before BATFE granted the license), and has to have records he's really running a business.

Still some -01's using the license to simply get cool stuff themselves.

-hanko

motorhead
12-19-2012, 11:03 AM
exactly! my brother gave up his ffl back then, he would have had to get a storefront because zoning didn't allow at home. the intent was to weed out hobby dealers.

Flintlock Tom
12-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Seems to me if ATF were really on a campaign to eliminate home FFLs there would be a lot more than 2 getting axed.

CEDaytonaRydr
12-19-2012, 11:44 AM
I had heard they weren't issuing any home-based 01 FFLs anymore. I suppose it was only a matter of time.

-hanko
12-19-2012, 3:32 PM
I had heard they weren't issuing any home-based 01 FFLs anymore. I suppose it was only a matter of time.
That is not correct. :confused:

Please re-read what I posted...

Regular hours, zoning, records indicating a business (which also includes filing the appropriate state/federal tax returns.

hth

-hanko

oldsmoboat
12-19-2012, 4:07 PM
My source also said that BATF was giving agents a bonus for every home based shop they shut down.

That right there tells you it's nonsense.

Gryff
12-19-2012, 4:44 PM
Your source has me rolling my eyes with the "...BATF was giving agents a bonus for every home based shop they shut down."

That's definitely tinfoil worthy.

Steve G
12-19-2012, 5:07 PM
Ba Ba Ba Ba..........BS....:laugh: